Aulani Island Garden 1BR - questions

travelbug

DIS Veteran
Had quite a time originally getting an Aulani reservation for late June at the 7 month window. Eventually was able to get an ocean view 1BR, but waitlisted for a pool view or island garden view so that I could save points. The island garden view came through this week - YAY! (saving 90 points)

Any particular requests that I should think about adding to my reservation? I don't have any idea what kind of requests they even accept. Near an elevator? Particular building? Particular floor? I fully realize that a request is just a request, but I always figure that it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Also, is it true that none of the units have storage (i.e. drawers) out in the living room for anyone using the sleeper sofa? Did all the drawers get wiped out of the TV "stand" because of the built-in Murphy bed? If so, any ideas for workarounds so the person out there doesn't have to live out of a suitcase the whole time?

Side questions:

Any opinions on getting refillable mugs? We will be there for 8 nights. Are there a number of drink refill stations so it's reasonably convenient?

How necessary are ADRs for the TS places at Aulani? There will be 3 of us adults. I think we'd love to keep things flexible, but we may make a couple reservations if doing a walk-up is pretty much out of the question. We'll probably do some simple meals in the room, eat some meals offsite, and probably try the CS option(s) at Aulani too.

I have SOOO much to learn about Aulani and what's available, and I haven't really started yet. I've read a couple trip reports and skimmed menus for the different restaurants, but I have a lot more to learn before we go. :surfweb:

Thanks for helping me get started on gathering information. :)

Side questions:

Any opinions on getting refillable mugs? We will be there for 8 nights. Are there a number of drink refill stations so it's reasonably convenient?

:surfweb:

Thanks for helping me get started on gathering information. :)

I did not get a refillable mug, but I saw two drink stations. One was to the right of the Lava Shack and it seemed to be open all the time. It had Coke, Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Minute Maid Lemonade, Mountain Berry Blast Powerade, Fanta Orange, Barq's Root Beer and Sprite.

I also found a drink station outside of One Paddle, Two Paddle, but it was only open from 5pm to 8pm. That one served the same items except it did not have the Powerade. The place where the Powerade was had Sweetened Raspberry Nestea Iced Tea instead. I hope that this helps!

Originally Posted by travelbug
Any particular requests that I should think about adding to my reservation? I don't have any idea what kind of requests they even accept. Near an elevator? Particular building? Particular floor? I fully realize that a request is just a request, but I always figure that it doesn't hurt to ask

I have been checking out the Aulani room view thread and getting lots of good ideas for our next trip. One thing I am noticing with the Island/Garden views is if you request the Ewa building higher floor on the backside of the building looking down onto the lawn where Starlit Hui is many of the Island/Garden view rooms will have a view of the ocean too. So that's my plan for our next trip. Check out the thread here and you can get a better idea, especially as more folks send their room view pictures in:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2907389

Also, is it true that none of the units have storage (i.e. drawers) out in the living room for anyone using the sleeper sofa? Did all the drawers get wiped out of the TV "stand" because of the built-in Murphy bed? If so, any ideas for workarounds so the person out there doesn't have to live out of a suitcase the whole time?

Haven't stayed in the one bedroom yet at Aulani (DH and I stayed in a studio), but it is similar to the VGC where both our sons- one the pull out sleeper and one on the murphy bed were living out of their suitcase. Would love other solutions to this if anyone has one.... maybe put their stuff in the hall closet?

How necessary are ADRs for the TS places at Aulani? There will be 3 of us adults. I think we'd love to keep things flexible, but we may make a couple reservations if doing a walk-up is pretty much out of the question. We'll probably do some simple meals in the room, eat some meals offsite, and probably try the CS option(s) at Aulani too.

We made a few ADR's but it was easy to change them at that time (back in August 2012) I would imagine with the resort operating closer to capacity ADR's will be a better thing to have in hand, you can always cancel if plans change.

Hope that helps! :)

I would recommend the mugs. We were just there in November in a 1BR and there are at least 4 different areas you can get your mugs filled. They are good for sodas as well as coffee. If you were nearby I would sell you the two mugs we bought there for half the cost. Have fun it is beautiful.

For the drawers in the front room there were none but there is a large closet nearby that can be used to store clothes in. Lots of room in the BR closets also. You will not be cramped. The rooms are very spacious.

Personally the refillable mugs are not worth it. You can buy 2 cases of soda for the price of one mug. Just go get some at the grocery store or the ABC store across the St. You are allowed to have drinks near the pool area and even outside food. They don't want you sitting around the tables since they are reserved for the people who are eating near the out door restuarant. Most people eat by their lounge chairs anyway since there are small tables to use.

As far as space, there is a closet in the living area and in the bdrm that can be used. It is pretty spacious. In addition, all 1 bdrms have washer/dryers so you will not need to pack as much. The kitchen is pretty much the same as other DVC properties so you can definitely save money by at least having one or two meals in the room.

I packed an inexpensive set of hanging shelves for the living room closet. Worked well for us.

We enjoyed our mugs. Kona blend coffee is available from 6 am on the first floor and from 7am in the shop off the lobby. Do wish iced tea was an option. One place offered sweetened ice tea but there were already plenty of sweetened options.

There are some tables available near the pool. They're in an elevated area near the snorkeling pool.

When we were at Aulani in September, we discovered that the bartenders at the Off the Hook Bar and the Wailana Pool Bar also refilled our Aulani drink mugs. There are also refill stations in the General Store, which is just off the lobby on the third floor, and I think at the Rip Swirl Yogurt Bar.

Aulani is quite compact and its an easy walk to almost any part of the resort. I found it was quite easy to get to a refill station whether I was in my villa or out on the property.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! It's all helpful for me as I get started figuring things out. :)

Agree with PP. You can get cheap hangable storage shelves from Ikea if you have one near you. We were there for 10 days last year and more than our money's worth out of the refillable mug. Hit the General Store every morning for Kona coffee, then refilled all day by the pool. Can you save more by stocking up on soda at the store? Sure, but it was awfully convenient not to have to lug cans/bottles down to the pool for the day or run back up to the room. Also, my kids have a great time making weird soda concoctions, so they were free to combine to their heart's content.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter