Aulani KaWa'a Luau vs Paradise Cove or others

J-Dog

A Nobody
Quick question: If we are staying at Aulani, how are the reviews for Ka Wa'a luau vs the relatively short trip to Paradise Cove? Has anyone done both for comparison? Is either of them difficult to get reservations?

Or otherwise, is there a different/further-away-from-Aulani luau that is so much better than both if them that's it's worth the drive?

Thanks!

I’ve never tried the Aulani luau but paradise cove is a much more beautiful setting right on the beach. It’s less costly and just a short walk away. The Polynesian cultural center is far away but a good one also. But I prefer paradise cove because you get to watch the show while eating.

I second Paradise Cove. Lots of negative reviews here but we really enjoyed it. We did a higher-end luau on Maui last year and while I felt that food was better, I felt the performances were of very similar (high) quality.

I’ve never tried the Aulani luau but paradise cove is a much more beautiful setting right on the beach. It’s less costly and just a short walk away. The Polynesian cultural center is far away but a good one also. But I prefer paradise cove because you get to watch the show while eating.

I second Paradise Cove. Lots of negative reviews here but we really enjoyed it. We did a higher-end luau on Maui last year and while I felt that food was better, I felt the performances were of very similar (high) quality.
Thanks very much for the advice. We were leaning toward Paradise Cove anyway, but didn't want to miss out no the closer one if it was better.

I did both, and I liked Aulani Luau better. Paradise Cove had an excellent show and a good location for the ocean, but we preferred Aulani. We chose Aulani because We enjoyed the food better, the atmosphere of the Haleawai Lawn, and the ease of getting the complimentary drinks. I will likely do Aulani Luau only on future trips.

I did both, and I liked Aulani Luau better. Paradise Cove had an excellent show and a good location for the ocean, but we preferred Aulani. We chose Aulani because We enjoyed the food better, the atmosphere of the Haleawai Lawn, and the ease of getting the complimentary drinks. I will likely do Aulani Luau only on future trips.
Thanks for the opinion! We've never been to Hawaii before, so a Luau is essential to do, even if they are touristy. Maybe we can just do both....

We took our first trip to Hawaii/Aulani last summer. We did one luau, the Aulani one. I'm glad we did it, because we like to get the full experience of the resort, and I feel like the luau is a pretty major part of that. Also highly recommend the spa if that is on your radar! Our vacation strategy is, eat at all the restaurants, swim in all the pools, do all the scavenger hunts, shop in all the shops! That way we don't leave feeling like we missed something...

I had done some research and several other luaus sounded interesting, so maybe if we go back someday we'll try a different one.

For one further away, we really loved the Toa Luau at Waimea Valley. We did a day on north shore first, then the hike/walk up to the falls and then the luau. It involves Polynesian culture and not just Hawaiian. It’s not a huge luau and you do feel super welcomed. The pre-show activities were also great. Food was excellent and plentiful - plated but you could request more.

We saw some of the Aulani luau from our room and honestly I was bored.

For one further away, we really loved the Toa Luau at Waimea Valley. We did a day on north shore first, then the hike/walk up to the falls and then the luau. It involves Polynesian culture and not just Hawaiian. It’s not a huge luau and you do feel super welcomed. The pre-show activities were also great. Food was excellent and plentiful - plated but you could request more.

Thanks! Toa Luau was the third-most recommended to me, after Paradise Cove and Polynesian Cultural Center. I had actually planned to do that one at first, but it was much further away. I will look into it a little bit more.

We stayed at Aulani last summer and did the Paradise Cove luau. We liked the price, short walk from Aulani and relatively decent food for such a large crowd. Very much enjoyed the dancing, especially with fire and costumes. Location at sunset was beautiful. If you go, get there early if you want to do activities or get drinks as lines get long and they cut off activities about an hour before dinner is served. The MC does a lot of talking about love/couples/newlyweds/anniversaries so that may be annoying if you are not there celebrating a milestone.

Paradise cove has a stunning location however it was a terrible luau. Staff were more than unfriendly. Downright surly towards the guests. Great place to walk to one day to see turtles in the water (that’s free).

Did you do preferred seating or regular seating?

We did regular seating at the Aulani Luau. I can't remember if Paradise Cove had different levels of seating, but I doubt I preferred there.
How was the view for the show for regular seating? I have read mixed reviews on regular seating, some say the view is good, some say it is too far and you can't see much. Thanks :)

I'll second this suggestion. We did it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'd rate it better than the Aulani one for food and entertainment. The big thing that the Aulani one has going for it is a story line. The Toa Luau is more about a string of different dances with a MC narrating them.

The walk to the falls is beautiful. But it's quite a hike. Doable for old people (like me) as long as you have reasonable mobility.

Thanks for all the input. We have actually opted to go with the Aulani luau and then may also consider heading out to the Polynesian Cultural Center. I have read mixed reviews on PCC, both on the luau quality and some of the management choices, but the other "stuff" such as the Epcot-style Polynesian islands and the night-time show, sounds fun and well-reviewed.

How was the view for the show for regular seating? I have read mixed reviews on regular seating, some say the view is good, some say it is too far and you can't see much. Thanks :)
I don't recall having issues with the view in regular seating.

We had a similar dilemma and ended up booking Toa Luau. We already planned on visiting Waimea Falls which is $25 each, so the fact that it is included with the cost of the luau is a nice added extra. We managed to get tickets for just over $100 per person with the discount code they advertise on their website. That’s about half many of the other luaus.

From what I’ve read, Toa luau feels more authentic and genuine, but lower budget than the bigger corporate luaus. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for!

I have a decision to make soon choosing between Aulani or Paradise Cove luau. Experience Toa last may, show was great but food was meh. So that can be a good reference point.

We are a party of 4 adults and 5 kids. I'm the only one that drinks. Two adults only eat halal meat and seafood, no pork or alcohol. Menu for both seems similar.

1. Seafood comparison of both luau?
2. Does paradise cove still cook whole pig under ground?
3. Kids meal (keikee) at Aulani worth it?

As for the entertainment, disney production is limited at the laua with a cameo of mickey. Is that fair to say? No meet and greet or any picture opportunities with characters.

Paradise cove seems to have a more extensive list of activities. But are they included or ala cart: canoeing, spear throwing, pictures with parrots?

I have a decision to make soon choosing between Aulani or Paradise Cove luau. Experience Toa last may, show was great but food was meh. So that can be a good reference point.

We are a party of 4 adults and 5 kids. I'm the only one that drinks. Two adults only eat halal meat and seafood, no pork or alcohol. Menu for both seems similar.

1. Seafood comparison of both luau?
2. Does paradise cove still cook whole pig under ground?
3. Kids meal (keikee) at Aulani worth it?

As for the entertainment, disney production is limited at the laua with a cameo of mickey. Is that fair to say? No meet and greet or any picture opportunities with characters.

Paradise cove seems to have a more extensive list of activities. But are they included or ala cart: canoeing, spear throwing, pictures with parrots?
As the OP, I have no experience to help you out as we still don't go for a few more months. We ended up booking both the Aulani luau and PCC.

One point that I wanted to make though, is that there was a lot of talk about the Paradise Cove luau closing at the end of 2023. I thought that was a sure thing, but someone just recently posted somewhere (either here or another forum that I frequent) that Paradise Cove closing was just a pervasive rumor and that they are staying open at least through 2024.

Anyway - in short, if you are considering Paradise Cove, definitely call them prior to make sure that they are going to be open/in business when you plan to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter