Aulani Stay - rack rate?

Sydnerella

enough is as good as a feast
Is it crazy to stay in Aulani at rack rate for a one-bedroom oceanview room? I cannot find points at rental companies for this upcoming summer and we are late to the party due to covid uncertainties in booking a graduation celebration for my son.

I ask because it seems like everyone posting here is DVC... we are not. And feel like the year our first goes off to college is not a great time to invest in it with those expenses.

Just wondering if I am a total sucker to seriously consider booking at a non-sale rack rate?!?!

Consider using a service that rent DVC points. Your stay could be significantly less than rack rate.

It is really much more expensive. I know DVC availability can be limited in the summer, but there is still some. There is a dvc rental section of this forum, or a service. You can also checked confirmed reservations on those services, you might get luckynn

Have you checked with a TA on potential sale pricing? I don't understand how/why, but TAs (at least the ones who are super familiar with Disney) seem to have access to special promos that aren't visible to the random consumer. Of course no deals may be available right now, with limited room bookings compared to pre-covid, but it may be worth a try. We're not DVC either, and we booked via a TA a number of years ago; she kept up with new promos as they were published and switched us when a better offer came along. It ended up being the same price per night as renting points. (Again - caveat that this was pre-covid, so deals could be found.)

Discounts may still be released for summer stays, so don’t completely write off that possibility. I know, though, that can be rough when trying to plan flights, etc. If you do book a rack rate, at least watch for a future discount.

Consider using a service that rent DVC points. Your stay could be significantly less than rack rate.

I have checked with two rental companies including the site sponsor and heard back that all the rooms are sold out for my possible dates. They also said that typically with DVC once availability is gone it is gone. This is simply because DVC Members are able to wait list stays that are not currently available, so any cancellations are immediately refilled by the list of waiting Members.

You could try looking at some dedicated DVC reservations. People will book trips for certain dates and then try to sell that reservation. Might work if you are flexible. It is an expensive resort, especially the 1 and 2 bedrooms. It's basically an apartment on the ocean in Hawaii and people pay those prices.

Discounts may still be released for summer stays, so don’t completely write off that possibility. I know, though, that can be rough when trying to plan flights, etc. If you do book a rack rate, at least watch for a future discount.
Is Aulani currently only booking a portion of their rooms due to COVID or the soft goods refurb I am reading about here? I am trying to get an understanding of what the COVID protocols and open vs closed things are right now and will be in July when we want to travel.... knowing it's not fully possible to know the future. But some predictions are possible. And the Spa says it is opening in June which is exciting to me! How do I book??

Is Aulani currently only booking a portion of their rooms due to COVID or the soft goods refurb I am reading about here? I am trying to get an understanding of what the COVID protocols and open vs closed things are right now and will be in July when we want to travel.... knowing it's not fully possible to know the future. But some predictions are possible. And the Spa says it is opening in June which is exciting to me! How do I book??

They are not yet at full capacity and the spa opened last June but they have not updated their website. The only "major" items that are not open is Ama Ama(the fancy restaurant), which will open as some other restaurant eventually they said. And Aunty's kids club. There are a few minor things that they are not doing yet but they try to make up for it in other ways. Uncle comes out to the pool area and talks story instead of around the camp fire, etc.

They are not yet at full capacity and the spa opened last June but they have not updated their website. The only "major" items that are not open is Ama Ama(the fancy restaurant), which will open as some other restaurant eventually they said. And Aunty's kids club. There are a few minor things that they are not doing yet but they try to make up for it in other ways. Uncle comes out to the pool area and talks story instead of around the camp fire, etc.
Thank you - this is helpful to know. My kids are too old for Aunty's at 15 and newly 18 so I think as long as they can snorkel and use paddle boards, beach/water equipment they will be happy beyond belief! And my son is dying for a massage once he is 18 which is just prior to the trip so hoping I can book us each one since I will turn 50 during this trip!

I think a lot depends on how much you and your family really want to stay at Aulani. If the kids just want to celebrate, hang out on the beach, and surf/snorkel/swim, I’d suggest looking at other properties, and then visit Aulani when you can plan ahead a bit and rent points (and when you haven’t just committed to paying for 4 years of college). If everyone really wants to stay at a Disney resort, or wants the lazy river, curated reef experience, and a (somewhat) secluded beach and location, then it’s really not too much of a premium over other resorts with similar features.

Turtle Bay’s rack rate is usually 30% higher than Aulani. A more standard hotel (Hilton Hawaiian Village or similar) is 40% lower.

Before buying DVC, I would never have considered staying at Aulani - there are sooooo many great hotels in the Waikiki area which are so much less expensive. The cost difference could pay for a separate vacation stay in so many other places. It’s worth it to do it, or if money isn’t a consideration, but otherwise, you have to really want the Aulani premiums to make it worth it.

Thank you - this is helpful to know. My kids are too old for Aunty's at 15 and newly 18 so I think as long as they can snorkel and use paddle boards, beach/water equipment they will be happy beyond belief! And my son is dying for a massage once he is 18 which is just prior to the trip so hoping I can book us each one since I will turn 50 during this trip!

My daughter(16 and 19 on our trips) loved the stand up paddle board out on the lagoon. I happily sat in my lounge chair on the beach relaxing while she had some water time. We are land locked and love being on the beach and in the ocean.

I thought I saw Disney Visa has the book 4 get 5 again right now? Or maybe it was 20% off—same thing. Or did I imagine that?

We have stayed there by booking through the Disney site, before we owned there. They often have discounts, I think we got 30% off or 5th night free, can't remember. It wasn't THAT much more than a DVC rental for a 1bdr. They have a lot of inventory so its more about timing IMO.
At that time the rates were not that much different than other high end resorts with similar facilities.To me its worth it if that's where you want to be on your vacation.

My daughter was 13 when we last visited and will be 15 this trip. She really enjoyed Aulani and is excited to return. She enjoyed the paddle boarding, lazy river, water slides, Rainbow Reef, and lazy walks across the street with us to visit the ABC store/Island Vintage Coffee. We never had time to walk over to the secret beach (or whatever it’s called) to snorkel, but are all excited to explore over there this trip.

I also keep meaning to call the spa to see how it works for my daughter to get a treatment with the requirement that I’m present—I am hoping I can book it similar to a couple’s treatment. If I’m required to be a quiet observer, she will not be visiting the spa with me.

I guess it depends on what is truly in your budget. As a non-DVC member myself who needs a 1-bedroom it can be quite a reach. We stayed a couple of nights a few years ago on a discount and absolutely loved it. We were traveling with others and moved over to the Hilton in Waikiki to join them and get back on budget.
This year we are returning to Oahu. We all wanted to go back to Aulani, but really couldn’t justify the $$ for a whole week there. We are splitting the stay with a less expensive hotel. We are using the other hotel as a home base for exploring the island and then just spending our Aulani days relaxing.
Last time we did Aulani first and we’re disappointed in the next hotel. This time we are doing cheaper hotel first and Aulani after. If you can’t find a decent rate you could book this way and continue to see if you can get DVC points and spend more days at Aulani.

The DVC units that can be booked on points are booking at 100%. The DVC units still owned by Disney, and the hotel side, are not at 100%. So lack of availability on points is not based on Disney not booking them at 100%. The parts of the resort being held back are not those within the DVC condo association.

Happy birthday to you both!! My son and I are having those same birthdays this year and also celebrating them in Hawaii!!!

If this were a one and done or special occasion trip, we would certainly consider it. We love Aulani. But, to be honest, Aulani rack rates would be hard for us to stomach if we weren't DVC. Yes, sometimes they do have specials which make the rates more comparable. As others have mentioned, would also definitely recommend that you look for an existing reservation. Hope you have a great trip!

Thank you all for your feedback and insight. Wanted to follow-up and let you know that shortly after these posts from you guys we did ultimately end up just going for it and booking a week in July for a 1-bedroom oceanview at the rack rate for our son’s graduation gift.

There were no points to be found, or dvc bookings and limited options even at rack rate. We even debated purchasing dvc and use this trip as the welcome home stay, but with looming college for our son, then daughter in two years, dvc is another bigger chunk of money we were not ready to commit to at this time. We also had a trip to WDW or a cruise as backup options but both have been done before - and WDW recently and several times - so we decided to go for something new to the state our son identified as the one he would love to see next given the option. And man, when that new Disney+ discount came out I was hopeful for an adjustment but no luck it would include Aulani!

So my husband and I have moved on to the excited phase of planning and will surprise him and our daughter in early June when he graduates. I have already booked separate spa appointments for my son and I to get massages. Im debating the facial I booked for my daughter (15) because of the in-room requirement they have for me to be present… as @dreamit mentioned and the spa confirmed is required - or I get a facial too which feels excessive after my 80 minute Lomi Lomi massage!

Thank you again for your feedback, I have been reading threads here and making plans based on the great info. So many things to do and see on the island, and we will need some resort days too, so we are beginning to prioritize some sights as we have a vehicle for the week. I imagine this will not be our last trip!

I think a lot depends on how much you and your family really want to stay at Aulani. If the kids just want to celebrate, hang out on the beach, and surf/snorkel/swim, I’d suggest looking at other properties, and then visit Aulani when you can plan ahead a bit and rent points (and when you haven’t just committed to paying for 4 years of college). If everyone really wants to stay at a Disney resort, or wants the lazy river, curated reef experience, and a (somewhat) secluded beach and location, then it’s really not too much of a premium over other resorts with similar features.

Turtle Bay’s rack rate is usually 30% higher than Aulani. A more standard hotel (Hilton Hawaiian Village or similar) is 40% lower.

Before buying DVC, I would never have considered staying at Aulani - there are sooooo many great hotels in the Waikiki area which are so much less expensive. The cost difference could pay for a separate vacation stay in so many other places. It’s worth it to do it, or if money isn’t a consideration, but otherwise, you have to really want the Aulani premiums to make it worth it.

My daughter(16 and 19 on our trips) loved the stand up paddle board out on the lagoon. I happily sat in my lounge chair on the beach relaxing while she had some water time. We are land locked and love being on the beach and in the ocean.

We have stayed there by booking through the Disney site, before we owned there. They often have discounts, I think we got 30% off or 5th night free, can't remember. It wasn't THAT much more than a DVC rental for a 1bdr. They have a lot of inventory so its more about timing IMO.
At that time the rates were not that much different than other high end resorts with similar facilities.To me its worth it if that's where you want to be on your vacation.

My daughter was 13 when we last visited and will be 15 this trip. She really enjoyed Aulani and is excited to return. She enjoyed the paddle boarding, lazy river, water slides, Rainbow Reef, and lazy walks across the street with us to visit the ABC store/Island Vintage Coffee. We never had time to walk over to the secret beach (or whatever it’s called) to snorkel, but are all excited to explore over there this trip.

I also keep meaning to call the spa to see how it works for my daughter to get a treatment with the requirement that I’m present—I am hoping I can book it similar to a couple’s treatment. If I’m required to be a quiet observer, she will not be visiting the spa with me.

I guess it depends on what is truly in your budget. As a non-DVC member myself who needs a 1-bedroom it can be quite a reach. We stayed a couple of nights a few years ago on a discount and absolutely loved it. We were traveling with others and moved over to the Hilton in Waikiki to join them and get back on budget.
This year we are returning to Oahu. We all wanted to go back to Aulani, but really couldn’t justify the $$ for a whole week there. We are splitting the stay with a less expensive hotel. We are using the other hotel as a home base for exploring the island and then just spending our Aulani days relaxing.
Last time we did Aulani first and we’re disappointed in the next hotel. This time we are doing cheaper hotel first and Aulani after. If you can’t find a decent rate you could book this way and continue to see if you can get DVC points and spend more days at Aulani.

The DVC units that can be booked on points are booking at 100%. The DVC units still owned by Disney, and the hotel side, are not at 100%. So lack of availability on points is not based on Disney not booking them at 100%. The parts of the resort being held back are not those within the DVC condo association.

Happy birthday to you both!! My son and I are having those same birthdays this year and also celebrating them in Hawaii!!!

If this were a one and done or special occasion trip, we would certainly consider it. We love Aulani. But, to be honest, Aulani rack rates would be hard for us to stomach if we weren't DVC. Yes, sometimes they do have specials which make the rates more comparable. As others have mentioned, would also definitely recommend that you look for an existing reservation. Hope you have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter