Aussie Disneyland Planners come on in and lets plan together :)

We booked our flights a little while back, and naturally they're now cheaper... Does anyone know whether V Australia will honour the cheaper price if I question it?
Probably depends on the t&c of your ticket. I think it's worth a shot. And even if the worst is you lose some money like a cancellation fee, if you still come out ahead, why not.

unless you booked a fully flexible flight with V I doubt they will reduce the fare. Most likely the cheap one you booked is non-transferrable etc etc without serious fees attached.

Well, they say that the cheap airfares are going to be around for the next 12 - 24 months, so if you can keep your job, travel to the US should remain good value, especially since the dollar got back up to the 70c mark.

Do any of you use the ANZ travel card in your travels??

unless you booked a fully flexible flight with V I doubt they will reduce the fare. Most likely the cheap one you booked is non-transferrable etc etc without serious fees attached.

Do any of you use the ANZ travel card in your travels??

Oh yeah, good point...

I use the cashpassport card, is it similar?

Not sure, you load up the ANZ card with US dollars and you can use it as a credit card or to get cash.

Who is the cashpassport with??

Great thread! I love all the aussies/NZers coming helping each other plan!

I'm Danielle, I'm 21 and currently in my last year of studing to be a primary teacher.

Ive been to Disneyland 4 times. First time was in Nov 1998 I went with my family and grandparents, 2nd trip was Dec 2000 with my family and 3rd trip was April 2002 again with my family. My last trip was in January with my boyfriend - I planned the trip to have my 21st birthday at Disneyland, and we also got engaged :cloud9:

When i went with my family we only spent around 4-5 days at Disneyland each trip but on my recent trip we stayed at the Carousel for 15 nights and spend 11 days in the parks, we had a 14 day pass so made good use of it!!

I can't wait to go back!! My DF now loves disney as well! We were going to go back in Dec as I love DL at christmas, but decided we better wait and save for the wedding first but Chris agreed we could go to Disney for our honeymoon! (as long as we stopover at Hawaii on the way back to have a 'relaxing' holiday!)

My mum just got a job with V Australia as a cabin crew so i can now get cheap flights through staff travel so i hope to be going more regularly in the future. I got my mum an annual pass for her birthday as she will be staying at Long Beach when flying so will be able to go to Disneyland on her days off - Im so jealous!!!

Not sure, you load up the ANZ card with US dollars and you can use it as a credit card or to get cash.
We used the ANZ Travel Card and loved it - we will be getting another next time we go. We didn't have to get cash out - we took US$1000 with us and that did for the 16 days we were away (plus the card of course :rotfl:)

We found that no matter which card we used (we pulled out the amex a couple of times) we needed to show ID, our NSW Drivers Licence was fine. The shop keepers were a bit perplexed at times at having no name on the ANZ card, but other than that ok.

If using one, use a regular credit card if you need to do a hold for accomodation - on the T&C of the travel card it says it can take up to 4 weeks for funds to clear if not used. On our Amex CC its normally only a day or two.

ETA - We found that the rates on the ANZ card, after taking into account exchange, any fees etc were slightly better than the cash passport. The cash passport, at least when we went in October last year, could only be used cash out, not purchases.

Hi all,
Can I join in:yay:

Another disney addict here (Oh and a nurse as well):thumbsup2

There's me, DH and DS (16) and DD (14)
We will be returning to DL Dec 25th-30th then Las Vegas for New Years eve, followed by 2 weeks skiing in Canada and a week relaxing in Hawaii on the way home.:banana:
We are staying at the Carousal Inn, have heard fairly good things about it. We have a suite with 2 bedrooms (3 queen size beds) and 2 bathrooms so shouls be fairly comfortable.
We are also flying P economy with V australia.
We were in WDW Jan 08 and had a fantastic time, we stayed at the Contemporary and also the Hard rock hotel.

I am happy to help with questions about WDW and Universal Orlando.
I booked all our accommodation directly with Disney, I bought I $10 phone card for the US (1c/minute) and made numerous phone calls with it. I loved having the flexibility of making changes whenever I wanted.

The best piece of advice I can give is if you are going to Universal-Orlando you must stay onsite-so that you can get the front of line pass. Absolutely fantastic no waiting in lines at all.:cool1:

We are thinking of using the ANZ travel card to pay for our accommodation - since we know what the exch rate is now and we've budgeted for it. NZD/USD exch rate is still pretty sucky but better than what it was a few weeks ago. I'd love to see it break the 60c mark but I can handle if it stays the way now.

When I used to import fabrics in from the US it was .78c and that was a year ago. Ah well I've heard the meals are huge there so maybe we'll buy one meal for all of us (dh, myself and our 2 wee ones) to share haha.

Gogo65 - how amazing to spend christmas in disney - your trip sounds amazing :)

Hi everyone.

My name is Tracey. I'm an ex-pat Canadian but I've lived in oz nearly as long as I lived in Canada so consider myself an aussie. I'm self employed with an online craft business. I live on the Gold Coast with my DH and DD13. I'm currently planning a trip to DL in Oct with my DD. This is the second girls only trip. We went around the same time last year and attended the trick or treat party. We were going to go at Christmas this year, but because my husband has recently changed jobs he won't have enough holidays. We travel to Canada often to visit my mum so try to stop at DL everytime. DD and I are big Disney fans. DH not so much. We will be in DL Oct 14 - 18 so hope to attend the trick or treat party again this year. We are really looking forward to this trip. Last one was a bit rushed with only three days including our day of arrival from oz. We are stopping on our way home this time so won't have the jet lag to contend with.
We went to WDW in Dec 2007 and then drove up the coast to visit my family. Had a great time but all agreed that we prefered DLR.

i am happy to say i have less than 6 weeks till i head over. going over with a mate from work, he has never been and its gonna be a blast

Good info guys. Nice to get to know you all.

On the ANZ travel card, I am stocking it up bit by bit right now, as the dollar is getting higher and higher, which will make spending it all a bit easier to take. ;)

gogo65 - very similar trip to us last may. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Poly and Hard Rock. We loved the Hard Rock, one of the best places we have stayed. How did you find the contemporary? How did you find the crowds etc?

On the ANZ travel card, I am stocking it up bit by bit right now, as the dollar is getting higher and higher, which will make spending it all a bit easier to take. ;)

gogo65 - very similar trip to us last may. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Poly and Hard Rock. We loved the Hard Rock, one of the best places we have stayed. How did you find the contemporary? How did you find the crowds etc?

We loved :love:the contemporary and we really enjoyed the Hard Rock,

The crowds were great we arrived Jan 3rd last year so it was just outside of their peak season, I don't think we waited longer than 15 minutes for any ride at WDW (we did use fastpass alot) and at Universal we walked on just about everything with the front of line pass. The weekend that we were at Universal 3/1-5/1 can still be very busy as most of the schools were not back to school until the 6th. However using the front of line pass meant we didn't wait more than about 5 minutes.:cheer2:

I want to go back:headache:
Now I know I am lucky to be able to go to DL in Dec this year BUT I so want to go back to WDW.

This is a very good idea :) maybe we'll do that too - what are the fee's like for topping up - are you just charged a percentage each time or is there a fee too?

Woohooo we have our confirmation email from the HoJo's for our stay. I feel like printing it off and putting it somewhere so I can keep staring at it. I'm beyond excited - less than 27weeks for us now :D

Yes, i know what you mean about WDW and Universal in FLorida. We just loved it all so much, and even though we are going to DL in Sept would really love to go back to Florida. Hence, my other thread about moving to the US in the community forum. I will love to hear about your next trip when you get back, always wondered how the crowds were around new years.

With the ANZ card, they charge you $11 to get one and the first deposit is commission free, so you can put a large amount on it straight away. After that they charge 1.1% for each deposit which is pretty good in comparison with cash and other transactions. It is good because you can't really take a stash of cash with you and have more access to get money in US dollars from an ATM in the USA. ANd you can use it as a credit card without any credit or money conversion charges, most credit cards except the Wizard Mastercard charge between 1% and 3% in conversion fees when you spend in the US.

Hi, I'm an Aussie planning a trip to Disneyland too :)

My name is Aimee, I'm 25 and we will be heading over to the USA in September/October. My fiance won a trip to New York & Las Vegas and we thought that while we are in America we'd do Disneyland too.

So we'll be spending 7 nights in Las Vegas, 7 nights in Anaheim, 3 nights in San Diego & then 7 nights in New York. We'll be paying for our accomodation in Anaheim and San Diego but everthing else is paid for with our prize money :)

We're not sure where we'll be staying yet in Anaheim. We were going to stay at Hojo but it is booked out for the first two nights of our stay.

This will be our first ever trip to America :)

PoohBear1988 - Can i ask what you thought of the Carousel? We are staying there in October and there are mixed reviews on trip advisor so i am just wanting someone locals opinion

Anyone who used the ANZ travel card did it take long to set up? I am just wondering how far in advance we need to get it organised

I am off to my passport interview tomorrow, little things like this excite me cause it means my trip is getting closer

Hi Aimee, sounds like a great trip you have there. Where are you going to stay in Vegas? We just booked the Venetian, it has some great specials starting at $139US and it is all suites.

You can get the ANZ card on the spot at ANZ travel card places, there are some at the airport and I am pretty sure in most capital cities, have a look at the ANZ website under travel. If you decide to get one I would do it earlier so you can fill it up as the dollar goes up. They are saying the dollar may hover between 70c and 79c for the next few months which is pretty good considering it was nearly 60c a few months ago.

What sort of car hire have you guys used for the US? I have used UK websites in the past for good rates.

Marvel, I think we're staying at the Bellagio. We haven't booked anything yet. We were deciding between the Bellagion, the Venetian and the Mirage. Have you stayed at the Venetian before? What's it like?

Has anyone stayed in New York? Do you have any recommendations on where to stay?

We're also trying to decide on accomodation for San Diego. We want to stay somewhere close to either Seaworld or the zoo. We are looking at the Dana on Mission Bay. Has anyone stayed there or have any other recommendations?

What's the ANZ card?

dollarmite - you can get 14 day passes http://www.disney.com.au/disneyland/disneyland_resort.html - we ordered ours through our friend in NZ who's a travel agent. I have heard that people get them online somewhere but I'm unsure where. You should be able to just buy the passes only through an agent without having to book anything else.

I phoned Harvey World Travel and they sell the 14 day passes. Adults $349AUD and child (3-9 yrs) $299AUD. They're only $8 more than the 5 days passes also available from HWT. I also phoned Flight Centre but the girl there had no idea what I was talking about.

Hope this helps anyone needing a DL pass.:)

The cash passport, at least when we went in October last year, could only be used cash out, not purchases.

I'm glad you pointed that out as I was under the assumption that it was like a standard EFTPOS card and could be used anywhere.

Could have made things awkward at the checkout line somwhere, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter