Austin/San Antonio: what's good?

Praying Colonel

DIS Veteran
I'm going to Texas for work May 9-11 and going a couple of days early (6-8 May) to check out Austin and San Antonio. I've never been to Texas so I'm looking for tips and how much time to spend at each.

I know I want to see the Alamo and the Riverwalk in San Antonio and also get some authentic Texas barbecue, but other than that I don't know what else I should see. Any ideas appreciated.

It will likely be hot. Be ready for that.

What to see depends on your interests. In San Antonio I would wander the Riverwalk for sure. We spend a lot of time doing that and just do whatever looks appealing. There are caverns and missions (more authentic than the Alamo) and amusement parks and museums and so on in the area. Be ready for heavy traffic and high parking fees too.

If I knew more of your interests, it would be easier to advise you but here are a few notes on San Antonio:

The Pearl Brewery Area is just north of downtown and is full of wonderful restaurants and shops. Check out the Pearl website befor you come. It is a very hip part of SA and should not be missed.

The IMAX at Rivercenter mall plays a short movie: Remember the Alamo. It's worth seeing to really understand why the Alamo is so special. You can walk out the mall door right into Alamo Plaza.

Like many tourist areas, the restaurants on the riverwalk aren't very good. I'd consider a drink and appetizer on the riverwalk and walking around, but eat elsewhere. We like the boat tour of the riverwalk. The restaurants on the riverwalk I can recommend are: Boudro's and Paesano's.

Mexican food: Rosario's just south of downtown or La Gloria at Pearl. Further North on 281: Alamo Cafe, Chuy's (Tex mex), Lupe Tortilla.

BBQ: Rudy's is the best barbecue IMO. There are several around town.

Breakfast- Guenther House (not to be confused with the Gunter Hotel) has a great breakfast and setting. Arrive early :)

San Antonio is on my list of places to see before I croak. The Riverwalk looks real nice

Austin is a ton of fun. Highly recommend the LBJ Presidential Library. Austin also has the world famous (and probably best BBQ I've ever had) Franklin's BBQ. Believe it opens at 11am but you need to get your place in line by 9 (weekday) or 8 (weekend). Bring a lawn chair so you can sit while you wait.

La Gloria, Boudros...yes yes yes!

The Alamo is the famous mission, but the park service has a mission trail there of several others. Honestly I found some of the others far more interesting and way less crowded.

Never have been to Austin but loved Riverwalk (and the Alamo) when visiting San Antonio. :)

In addition to the Alamo and Riverwalk, Mi Tierra and el Mercado are essential to get the true San Antonio tourist experience. When you visit the Riverwalk, you should ride the boats to get the highlights. The dinner boat ride with Boudros is a pretty fun and unique thing to do - I'd call now to make a reservation. I also highly recommend visiting the Pearl and going to have a drink at Hotel Emma and stop by Bakery Lorraine for their macaroons. Austin and San Antonio are both fun and very unique cities. I hope you enjoy your visit. The weather really has not gotten that hot yet, so hopefully it will stay nice.

it's already getting pretty hot down here (today it's nice but the last few days we already hit 90 with lots of humidity) so brace yourself for that. If you like botanical gardens, Lady Bird Johnson wildflower center is nice (Austin). If you like spooky stuff, there's tons to check out in San Antonio-- not just the Alamo, but the other missions are considered to be extremely haunted. The San Antonio zoo used to be really nice if you're interested in that, but I haven't been in years so I can't say whether it's been kept up well.

San Antonio also has six flags and sea world. You can also check and see if schlitterbahn is open.

I now live in Austin, TX but in 2007 we came here on vacation. Some of the highlights we enjoyed and have revisited.
River Walk IMO is bleh, just a bunch of shops/bars/restaurants BUT the River Cruise is worth it IMO, its fun and you learn a lot of the local oddities in regards to the River Walk and architecture.
The Alamo of course, then take a walk to the St. Francis Cathedral where the remains that were found in the floor of the Alamo are entombed.

New Braunfels:
Schlitterbahn Water Park - this is the most amazing place if you like waterparks
Natural Bridges Caverns - beautiful wet caverns
Snake Farm - interesting road side attraction

Boerne:
Cave Without a name - this cavern is fascinating as its a mix of a wet and a dry cavern.

Lockhart:
Home to several famous BBQ places. My favorite is Blacks

Dripping Springs:
As someone else mentioned, Saltlick. The original in Dripping Springs is all about the atmosphere, bring a cooler of beer, kick back, relax and enjoy. Personally, while I really enjoy the food its not the best BBQ in the area IMO.

San Marcos:
Aquarena Springs, complete with the glass bottom boat is an interesting adventure.

Fredericksburg:
Old Tunnel State Park - well worth the $5 during bat season to watch the nightly emergence (seasonal and bring LOTS of bug spray)
Old town with shops/restaurants is a fun day of shopping

Austin:
I went to the botanical gardens for the first time last week, very nice!
Lots of things: The Capital Tour is informative, the Texas State Museum is full of all things Texas, LBJ Library previously mentioned, Congress Ave. Bridge (bat central here in Austin) "SoCo" South Congress Ave home to Big Top Candy Shop and Uncommon Objects along with several local eateries. Lady Bird Lake, Lake Austin and Lake Travis. Zilker Park, Barton Springs Pool
Off the beaten path a bit: Hamilton Pool (need reservations for at least the weekends)

Marble Falls:
Longhorn Caverns - these are "dry caverns" also very unique and not physically strenuous.

I second Torchy's tacos in Austin, and while I didn't do the Franklin BBQ, my co-workers loved it. We partied every night on 6th street. Kinda seedy, but great bands and cheap drink specials. We tried to see the bats on the Congress Ave Bridge, but had no luck. And South Congress Ave is really cute and has a retro vibe.

I second Torchy's tacos in Austin, and while I didn't do the Franklin BBQ, my co-workers loved it. We partied every night on 6th street. Kinda seedy, but great bands and cheap drink specials. We tried to see the bats on the Congress Ave Bridge, but had no luck. And South Congress Ave is really cute and has a retro vibe.
My Young adult kids much prefer Rainey St. to 6th St. They are young professionals getting close to 30 and much prefer the more laid back vibe of Rainey St.

On 6th Street there is a Voo-doo Donut as well as the Museum of the Weird, both are fun!

I found Austin strange, they say its the 6th largest US city, but where was everyone. Sure not like showing up in San Francisco or Chicago. I found Texas disappointing because we wanted to see boots and hats and everyone seemed to act like that was uncool. We will try Fort Worth next time I think

I'm going to Texas for work May 9-11 and going a couple of days early (6-8 May) to check out Austin and San Antonio. I've never been to Texas so I'm looking for tips and how much time to spend at each.

I know I want to see the Alamo and the Riverwalk in San Antonio and also get some authentic Texas barbecue, but other than that I don't know what else I should see. Any ideas appreciated.
San Antonio: San Jose Mission is even nicer than the Alamo, fyi.

Austin: The Zilker Botanical Gardens are nice, as is a hike down the Greenbelt or the Hike & Bike Trail. Barton Springs is a very popular & large spring-fed pool in the downtown area- definitely worth a visit. Iron Works (downtown) is a good, authentic barbeque joint, if you're interested in trying one. Or you could try Franklin's, which is also downtown. Definitely stop at Amy's Ice Cream when you're in Austin. The LBJ Library is worth a visit.

If you're willing to go out of town, two very nice natural swimming holes are Hamilton Pool and Krause Springs- I recommend them both, especially Krause Springs. Sweetberry Farm is in Marble Falls, and is a nice place to pick your own blackberries and strawberries, & eat a scoop of their homemade strawberry ice cream.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter