Australia ABD fast approaching, need help planning

Great article, PrincessInOz, I've made a note about Mork Chocolate.

No luck with shoes at the outlet mall, however I did find a nice waterproof jacket with plenty of room for layering. Great deal too.:)

I haven't been on puffing billy since I was about 8 and my granny took us.
It goes through some beautiful scenery I believe, but I'm not sure what's at the other end? lol.
I'm from the western suburbs so it's not something that's common to do over this way

Can anyone tell me about Puffing Billy? Would it be worth doing a half day trip?

Oooh I can! I lived in the Dandenongs for a number of years, and we lived in a house that actually backed onto the tracks for about a year.

I'll be honest, we've only ever done the luncheon (which I highly recommend if you want to splurge, but the timing might not work for you). The luncheon carriage is fully enclosed (and heated - great in winter!), and has comfy chairs and tables where your lunch is served. The normal carriages have bench seat type seats I believe, but a lot of kids sit at the edge with their feet hanging out (you'll see what I mean in one of the photos).

Puffing Billy is a historic steam railway through the beautiful temperate rainforest and hilly farmland of the Dandenong Ranges. There are various trestle bridges etc along the way, one major one in Selby where a lot of people have their wedding photos taken (we lived just down the road from this bit). There are also historic stations along the way, but you can't get on and off at any of them. On the normal train, you can get off at Emerald Lake Park or Gembrook. It takes about an hour to get to Emerald Lake Park, which I think is enough time on the train, and I would recommend you get off there to stretch your legs and look around. It's a nice park with a little café, and also has a model train exhibit if you're interested.

Puffing Billy itself is easy to get to from the city. You just get the Belgrave train to the end of the line (this would generally take just over an hour), then walk across to the Puffing Billy platform. There are plenty of other great things to do and see in the Dandenongs, but you'd need a car for those. If you're going to have a car, check out Grant's Picnic Ground (where you can feed the wild native birds including cockatoos), National Rhododendron Gardens, and Sassafras and Olinda villages.

Here's a picture of the train going over the famous trestle bridge in Selby.

You can expect to see scenery like this along the way.

And these are some pics from Emerald Lake Park.

Yell out if you have any more questions about Puffing Billy or anything else in the Dandenong Ranges :thumbsup2

Oh I love Puffing Billy! Everything zanzibar said is spot on! I grew up at the base of the ranges so we went there a lot as kids and still go occasionally, definitely worth a visit. The model railway at Emerald Lake is gorgeous and there is the best bakery in Gembrook, the pasties are particularly yummy.

Thank you all so much for the information and the wonderful pictures. I will definitely share this with my girlfriend this weekend as we try to finalize some plans. We will be in Melbourne on Nov 3rd and was wondering if it might be a good idea to escape the city on Race Day.

Thank you all so much for the information and the wonderful pictures. I will definitely share this with my girlfriend this weekend as we try to finalize some plans. We will be in Melbourne on Nov 3rd and was wondering if it might be a good idea to escape the city on Race Day.

It won't be too bad in the city on Race Day. Most of the crowd will be at Flemington Race Course.

It won't be too bad in the city on Race Day. Most of the crowd will be at Flemington Race Course.

I agree with this. If you're not into crowds, I would probably avoid Fed Square (where they'll probably be showing the race on the big screen) and possibly most pubs/bars which will probably have some sort Cup themed event, otherwise I wouldn't expect much difference. A lot of people hold their own Cup parties at home, or just watch the race from wherever they are.

Being a public holiday, if it's a nice day, a lot of people who are not into the racing may head out to the Dandenongs themselves.

I agree with this. If you're not into crowds, I would probably avoid Fed Square (where they'll probably be showing the race on the big screen) and possibly most pubs/bars which will probably have some sort Cup themed event, otherwise I wouldn't expect much difference. A lot of people hold their own Cup parties at home, or just watch the race from wherever they are.

Being a public holiday, if it's a nice day, a lot of people who are not into the racing may head out to the Dandenongs themselves.

Very good to know. It will certainly help with planning which day to do what.

Can anyone give me suggestions for tours in the Cairns area? We are arriving the day prior to the start of the ABD tour which will give us most of the first day free before the Welcome Reception. I'm looking for a half day tour.

Very good to know. It will certainly help with planning which day to do what.

Can anyone give me suggestions for tours in the Cairns area? We are arriving the day prior to the start of the ABD tour which will give us most of the first day free before the Welcome Reception. I'm looking for a half day tour.

I'm guessing that ABD takes you to the Great Barrier Reef and the Kuranda Railway? Apart from that, I don't know much about Cairns. We're going for a week in August though, so I might be able to help you after that!

No help for PixiePirate but Zanzibar make sure while you are in Cairns you tour the Atherton Tablelands - with the Waterfall Way drive with short walks to waterfalls and fig trees, Lake Eacham or Lake Barrine (our favourite is Lake Barrine and though its small, the cruise on the lake used to be a little old fashioned gem with views of some nice wildlife and birds close up and a great teahouse for Devonshire tea) amongst other treasures its an area I know you would enjoy. A boat trip up the Daintree and a trip over the river and up to Cape Tribulation in the world heritage park are also excellent trips. Oh an early morning hike around Lake Eacham might reward you with a view of a tree kangaroo but we have never been lucky. Further away and poss too big a detour for a week's hol the Undara Lava Tubes are amazing if you have never seen anything like them - like walking through giant worm holes in the ground. We also have a soft spot for the Port Douglas Wildlife Park - we first visited when it was brand new and the vegetation had yet to grow but it was a sweet small park, our later visits its got bigger and better and we still love it.

Sorry - back to you, Pixiepirate. I see ABD do the Kuranda skyrail, Tjabukai Indigenous Park and Hartleys Creek as well as the reef and you stay at what was the nicest beach (probably still is but now very tourist developed compared to our last visits) of Palm Cove. In close proximity to Cairns other than the Tablelands which aren't feasible really in a half day tour, that about ticks all the boxes. In town itself by the ocean they have a new esplanade broadwalk (well new since we were last there) - not seen it but I hear good things about it - expect nice for a quiet stroll with no doubt lots of pelicans about, cafes, marina. Near town the Botanical Gardens are quite nice with the added frisson of occasionally they have a croc in them (buses run there from town). Also in town I have read about a Samurai gallery opening - a range of displays and artifacts on the Samurai (only $10 entry) - could be worth a look. If you are young (sorry I forget your age range and getting late to double back and look) I have no doubt there is somewhere offering bungy jumping in a spectacular location! Cairns itself was always under whelming though the new ocean front strip as I said sounds like its now much improved. Just relaxing getting over the jetlag with a coffee and a nice lunch by the sea might be a slow start to what will be a jam packed tour thereafter?

Sorry - back to you, Pixiepirate. I see ABD do the Kuranda skyrail, Tjabukai Indigenous Park and Hartleys Creek as well as the reef and you stay at what was the nicest beach (probably still is but now very tourist developed compared to our last visits) of Palm Cove. In close proximity to Cairns other than the Tablelands which aren't feasible really in a half day tour, that about ticks all the boxes. In town itself by the ocean they have a new esplanade broadwalk (well new since we were last there) - not seen it but I hear good things about it - expect nice for a quiet stroll with no doubt lots of pelicans about, cafes, marina. Near town the Botanical Gardens are quite nice with the added frisson of occasionally they have a croc in them (buses run there from town). Also in town I have read about a Samurai gallery opening - a range of displays and artifacts on the Samurai (only $10 entry) - could be worth a look. If you are young (sorry I forget your age range and getting late to double back and look) I have no doubt there is somewhere offering bungy jumping in a spectacular location! Cairns itself was always under whelming though the new ocean front strip as I said sounds like its now much improved. Just relaxing getting over the jetlag with a coffee and a nice lunch by the sea might be a slow start to what will be a jam packed tour thereafter?

Thanks, Aussie Wendy, those are all very helpful suggestions. We will be arriving on Tuesday, the day before the ABD starts. We aren't making any solid plans for the afternoon in case we just want to lay by the pool and relax after the long flight. But now we have plenty of options if we find ourselves anxious to explore. It was a little difficult finding a half day tour that wasn't going to cover the same ground as ABD, but I booked one yesterday to the rainforest and 2 waterfalls that looks like a lot of fun. We should be back in Cairns by noon which will give us time for a nice lunch in town and time to explore the Esplanade (and maybe more) before we have to head back to the resort for our Welcome Dinner. I can't believe this trip is getting so close! I'm getting very excited now!:yay:

Sounds excellent - glad you were able to find a half day trip that includes some rainforest and relaxing by the pool arrival day sounds spot on! Looking forward to reading a TR afterwards and seeing what you did, and didn't, like!

I understand Australia uses chip & pin debit and credit cards. After a chat with my bank this weekend, I discovered they are still "researching" chip and pin debits cards and have no idea when they will be available. Will ATMs in Australia still take cards without the chip? My bank assures me that they will, however I don't want to be halfway around the globe when I find out they are wrong. Are prepaid debit cards accepted?

Besides the tour in Cairns, I have made reservations on the Colonial Tramcar for early dinner on Tuesday. We had originally planned for dinner on Wednesday so we will have to juggle our schedule a bit. We are hoping to do Puffing Billy, the Penguin Express and a Chocolate tour. I am also going to book a tour with Melbourne Greeters and check out some of the free walking tours they offer. There was one of the Royal Botanic Gardens that looked very nice.

Pixiepirate, something to do perhaps on Cup day night: a tour of the Old Melbourne Gaol (Jail) It's in the CBD and very close to Melbourne Central Shopping Centre, which has some good places to eat and drink before or afterwards.
It's creepy and scary, but pretty cool and in the CBD, so you can take the city circle tram or trains and I believe its free?
Melbourne is the best, I so hope you enjoy it!!

I understand Australia uses chip & pin debit and credit cards. After a chat with my bank this weekend, I discovered they are still "researching" chip and pin debits cards and have no idea when they will be available. Will ATMs in Australia still take cards without the chip? My bank assures me that they will, however I don't want to be halfway around the globe when I find out they are wrong. Are prepaid debit cards accepted?

ATMs in Australia still take cards without a chip. Your card should still have a magnetic strip on the back and I expect you have a PIN.
FWIW, my card is still one of the older style cards. I'm still using a PIN.

As to whether prepaid debit cards are accepted, I can't answer that one. I would assume that it would work the same as all other card types.

Besides the tour in Cairns, I have made reservations on the Colonial Tramcar for early dinner on Tuesday. We had originally planned for dinner on Wednesday so we will have to juggle our schedule a bit. We are hoping to do Puffing Billy, the Penguin Express and a Chocolate tour. I am also going to book a tour with Melbourne Greeters and check out some of the free walking tours they offer. There was one of the Royal Botanic Gardens that looked very nice.

Enjoy the Tramcar restaurant.

I'd be interested to see what your feedback is on the Melbourne Greeters. It should be nice at the Botanical Gardens at that time of year.

ATMs in Australia still take cards without a chip. Your card should still have a magnetic strip on the back and I expect you have a PIN.
FWIW, my card is still one of the older style cards. I'm still using a PIN.

As to whether prepaid debit cards are accepted, I can't answer that one. I would assume that it would work the same as all other card types.

Thank you very much for that information. I was a little worried as I would much prefer to use my bank debit card for cash instead of running up transaction charges on my credit card.

Enjoy the Tramcar restaurant.

I'd be interested to see what your feedback is on the Melbourne Greeters. It should be nice at the Botanical Gardens at that time of year.

I will let you know. It should be a good way to see the highlights and get oriented.

Pixiepirate, something to do perhaps on Cup day night: a tour of the Old Melbourne Gaol (Jail) It's in the CBD and very close to Melbourne Central Shopping Centre, which has some good places to eat and drink before or afterwards.
It's creepy and scary, but pretty cool and in the CBD, so you can take the city circle tram or trains and I believe its free?
Melbourne is the best, I so hope you enjoy it!!

Thanks for the reminder. We keep talking about this but it never actually makes it to the to do list. We would love to do a ghost tour but most seem to run only on the weekends. This might make a good replacement.

Thank you very much for that information. I was a little worried as I would much prefer to use my bank debit card for cash instead of running up transaction charges on my credit card.

I will let you know. It should be a good way to see the highlights and get oriented.

Thanks for the reminder. We keep talking about this but it never actually makes it to the to do list. We would love to do a ghost tour but most seem to run only on the weekends. This might make a good replacement.
I didn't think to check if it would be open cup day. I imagine it would be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter