Authentic German Chicken & Dumplings

MerryPoppins

<font color=coral>I posted around Woo Hooty time<b
Boil and then debone chicken, reserving stock. I cook mine with onion, celery (if I have it), salt and pepper.

Bring broth to a boil while you combine:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
3 t. baking powder
1 egg
3/4 c. milk
1 t. parsley

Dip a tablespoon into the hot broth, then scoop up a spoonful of the dough. Re-dip the spoon to release the dumpling. Dipping the spoon in the broth is VERY important. If you don't the dough will stick to the spoon and make a mess! Cover and cook on about medium heat for 12 minutes.

This recipe came from my grandmother. Her grandmother was from Germany. These are not the doughy hard dumplings, but the light, fluffy ones. They are a BIG family favorite at my house. Great for cold winter nights!

i know this may sound dumb BUT how big do you make the dumplings?

I just fill a spoon with about a 2-inch blob. I'm not sure it matters that much. I don't think you'd want them to be more than 1 1/2 to 2 inches or they might not get done. They puff up a lot when you put them in the broth.

This does sound like a great comfort food for those cold winter nights. I love chicken and dumplins, but I have never made it myself.

HI MerryP! Your recipe sounds good.
If you ever what to try a really easy flat dumpling(my southern relatives call them sled runners) here's how.
Just put all purpose flour in a bowl. About two cups. Add maybe a 1/4 tsp. of baking powder. Then pour in just enough ICE water to make the dough moist, and stir. Roll out really thin on a floured board or wax paper. Lightly flour the top of the dough too. Cut in strips and add to your boiling broth. When you get them all in the broth put a lid on and turn off the burner.They should finish cooking without the burner on. Of course the amount of dough you make really depends on how much broth you have also.
I always hesitate to post here, because my "recipes" are usually guestimates. But these are good.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter