Autistic teen and Disney Cruise?

Napria

It really *is* the Happiest Place!
Ok, I've wanted to ask this for soooo long. Has anyone here taking a teen with autism on a Disney Cruise? We would love to go, but wow! what an expensive mistake if it doesn't work for us! Not to mention that we'd be trapped at sea for the duration.

So... anyone? Any experiences to share?

Not a Disney cruise and not a teen yet but we took my DS10 on a Carnival cruise last Thanksgiving and it worked out really well. We diden't try any sit down meals with him (mostly because he wasen't feeling real great for a day or two) but the buffet and room service worked well for him as far as food. He liked looking out at the water and loved the pool as well as the water slide and mini golf. He did seem to get over stimulated on an excursion to Nassau (the port area is really crowded and busy) but it wasen't too bad. Carnivals kids club was really good with us they gave me a special cell phyone they could reach me on if he had any problems and really seemed to pay attention to his needs but I know that probably woulden't apply to you because of his age. I would suggest calling the cruise line and explaining your sons needs and asking if they have any suggestions for you. I have a husband with a disaility as well and both cruise lines we have cruised with have been great about letting me know how they can accomodate his needs when I've asked. They have also had suggestions I woulden't have thought of.

Again, great suggestions from you! I've only been on one cruise and that was on our honeymoon nearly 25 years ago. I don't remember if I booked that trip or if I used a travel agent. In any event, I didn't realize you could call a cruise line directly.

They let our son go in a younger group, the lab, it worked for us as it was more developmentally appropriate. The staff were fantastic and really looked after him. Pre cruise they said he had to be in age appropriate group but when we check in we were told he could go in the lower age group. I suppose it depends upon the number of kids onboard

They let our son go in a younger group, the lab, it worked for us as it was more developmentally appropriate. The staff were fantastic and really looked after him. Pre cruise they said he had to be in age appropriate group but when we check in we were told he could go in the lower age group. I suppose it depends upon the number of kids onboard

That's so good to know. Despite being 140 Lbs, my son is 4' 10" and looks younger than 14. My daughter is 12 and despite being 100 Lbs soaking wet, she's taller than my son by nearly 5 inches. She is often mistaken for being 14 years old or older. Ironic. She is dying to go to the teenagers hangout.

Who knows? A Disney Cruise is sooooo expensive, by the time we can pay for our upcoming June trip and then save for a cruise she'll be well into her teens and my son will probably look like a teenager at that time, so our situation will change again.

Well it depends on the child and it depends on how their sensory issues are. My DD13 is Aspergers and she would probably just wander the ship nonstop. She loves staying in hotels and she loves hanging out in the lobby so for her I think she would enjoy that. Now that she is old enough to go in the hot tubs that would sooth her if she got upset.

You may need to get a room with a window because even people like myself who are just a little bit sensory and not Autistic at all find it bothersome to be in a room with no window. That drove me nuts this cruise. (on a side note My ex and I both have traits. In my case Sensory issues)

Make sure to bring sea sickness everything. That will help some with the movement. I kind of enjoy the swaying of the boat. I also love flying in planes. You could try a day cruise on one of those gambling ships but those are smaller and react differently in the waves. Plus no fun kid stuff. I think as long as you keep them busy they will have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter