Autograph Pillowcase Question

bayamandal

Earning My Ears
I am intrigued by the idea of the autograph pillowcase. We have always done books in the past.

This is the first time in the last several visits that we are NOT lodging in the parks because we are not "officially" there for Disney. Gasp! But we are still going to squeeze in 4 days at the parks.

So back to my question:

Can someone explain to me how the pillowcase autographing works? Do you bring a clipboard or something hard for them to hold and press down on? What type of pens do you use that are washer safe? What is the protcol? I have never had the characters sign anything other than a book....

Can you more experienced folks give me some tips for this?

I read about leaving them at your resort and having them signed, but again, we are not on property....and they will want more autographs than the Fab5

Thank you so much in advance for any/all advice!

We did this last year. It worked great! I carried the pillow case in its zippered plastic bag that it came in and had a piece of heavy cardboard the same size with it. I just placed the cardboard in the pillowcase at the spot I wanted them to sign and it was perfect. We used a black sharpie and the cardboard kept it from bleeding through. It dried quickly. We have both sides filled with autographs. Everyone is black except Minnie had her own red sharpie, so she signed right in the middle of one side. It looks great. People in line were interested in it and so were the cast members.

We did this our last trip in 2009 and instead of cardboard we used an embroidery hoop to hold the pillowcase tight. Then when the character was done signing, I would move the hoop to a new spot so we would be ready for the next character. It worked out great! I brought a multi pack of different colored sharpies and dryed the pillowcase on hot when we got home and the kids sleep with their Disney pillows everynight.

We did this our last trip in 2009 and instead of cardboard we used an embroidery hoop to hold the pillowcase tight. Then when the character was done signing, I would move the hoop to a new spot so we would be ready for the next character. It worked out great! I brought a multi pack of different colored sharpies and dryed the pillowcase on hot when we got home and the kids sleep with their Disney pillows everynight.

ok, this is a silly question but I am very challenged in the home economics department.

Does drying the pillowcase on hot make it so the sharpies wont fade?

We have pillowcases from our last cruise and I am afraid of the markers coming off.

I am very impressed, this is an awesome idea!!!!! We will definately be doing this!

What a great idea! I am totally doing this. Where did you find plain pillow cases? Walmart? Target?
Just curious.

I bought plain white pillowcases at Walmart. Putting it in the dryer was recommened to me by a cast member and it is so the sharpie sets and won't bleed or fade. If the kids go to bed with wet hair I make them use a different pillow to try and avoid any bleeding.

I am intrigued by the idea of the autograph pillowcase. We have always done books in the past.

This is the first time in the last several visits that we are NOT lodging in the parks because we are not "officially" there for Disney. Gasp! But we are still going to squeeze in 4 days at the parks.

So back to my question:

Can someone explain to me how the pillowcase autographing works? Do you bring a clipboard or something hard for them to hold and press down on? What type of pens do you use that are washer safe? What is the protcol? I have never had the characters sign anything other than a book....

Can you more experienced folks give me some tips for this?

I read about leaving them at your resort and having them signed, but again, we are not on property....and they will want more autographs than the Fab5

Thank you so much in advance for any/all advice!

I got a bunch of colored fabric markers for the characters to use. I did also bring a clipboard that I positioned in between the top and bottom of the pillowcase. I also brought a jumbo ziploc bag they could fit in to keep them clean and dry during the character meals. I got the markers at WalMart and the pillowcases at a discount store.

I can post some pics of ours but I have no idea how to do it?!?! If someone can help me I can get some up

Thank you all so much. I think I really like the embroidery hoop idea!! I love the idea of fabric markers too since fabric markers are meant to be washed, dried, etc... Hooray. I am very exctied to do this.:cool1:

We did this with a t-shirt I personalized with a disign from the creative disign team. Used different color fabric markers for each of the characters (Green for Jiminy, red for Minnie, black for Mickey, blue for Cinderella). They turned out beautifully - and the kids can wear them without the markers running. Two of the characters actually took the time to write a short personalized message.

@Rickyjack - what we did was use an embroidery hoop to hold the pillowcase tight (just one layer of it) and then used sharpies, you can also use fabric markers. When we got home I dried the pillowcase on hot to set the marker. I let the kids use the pillows most nights and have been able to wash and dry them with no problem.

Just wanted to add...be sure to bring one of the jumbo ziploc bags to keep your pillowcases in, in the event of rain. Otherwise, you may run the chance of the markers running all over. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter