Automation coming to Disney

manning

Just for that I have requested it
While at Disney a box was attached to the TV in our room at Old Key West. Technician said Key cards will have chip in it. If you get a room you don't like all you do is arrange for another room. With this box you don't have to go to the HH for a new key. The new room combination is tansmitted to the card you have.

Kiosks are showing up at the food courts in the hotel and parks. You can select your food and insert your key card or credit card for payment. Don't need to deal with order taker/cashier.

Won't be surprised the guards at the resort gates will be replaced with closed circuit TV and card reader.

First one is not practical what if there aren't any other rooms?

I agree and the logic doesn't support it since no "writes" would need to happen to the card in a RFID "lock" situation. It would make more sense to change the lock code at the lock, not the card. It would save a significant amount of $ and be much more secure since no one could intercept the write process with a skimmer. Also, every card would have to be changed and the process would be cumbersome at best with a 1 bedroom and 5 keys much less a GV.

Though I'm not entirely sure it can be put so simply...

these types of things have been pursued by disney's "R&D" for almost 20 years...the "destination disney" concept.

while i'm sure the official reasons are to "increase guest convenience" and "integrate/display new and innovative technologies"...
...the reason is to eliminate labor...or perhaps shift it.

That could be a good or bad thing. But the danger in removing the human element is pretty inherent. If you make it feel like an airport...what's the point of even going?

an interesting juggling act that we will see in many things for years to come.

First one is not practical what if there aren't any other rooms?

Then a room and key code doesn't get changed. As technology changes what can't be done yesterday can be done today. I remember some saying it was impossible to replace a key with a card and put ticket info onto a key card.

The chip is changing everything. Like it or not I'm going to have to get a metal card holder. The other day I just got a new credit card from Diners/MasterCard with a chip in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they (not just Disney) are working on a way to put all this on smart phones. Sure would cut the cost of cards for Disney. "Sir, if you have a smart phone we will put all the info on your phone." I can see the day you walk up to the gate without taking your ticket out of your pocket and standing in front of your room door and as long as you have your key card/smartphone on you the door will unlock.

We had ID cards with chips in it back in 1995 in our company. They were zone coded and to enter you just waved it over the scanner.

I

Given my experiences with the AKV room I had several years ago, I don't see how they can even accommodate such a request like that.

Someone could easily take a whole bunch of rooms offline while trying to get the "perfect view", since each room could potentially require additional cleaning, etc.

This would be one of the last things I could see being implemented as part of the greater NextGen/xPASS system. And certainly not this early.

Sounds like the technician was reaching a bit in implying that guests could switch rooms if they didn't like their view. Given the practical limitations of assigning dozens of incoming guests to a similar number of available rooms, there is simply no way Disney could afford to play "guest room musical chairs" with folks until all are satisfied.

If anything, I suspect it may be possible for Disney to eventually remotely re-code a KTTW card. For instance, a guest enters their assigned room and discovers that it has not been cleaned properly or some severe maintenance issue. Rather than returning to the front desk for new keys--which is time consuming at larger resorts--they may be able to remotely assign a new room when contacted via one of the house phones.

Sounds like the technician was reaching a bit in implying that guests could switch rooms if they didn't like their view. Given the practical limitations of assigning dozens of incoming guests to a similar number of available rooms, there is simply no way Disney could afford to play "guest room musical chairs" with folks until all are satisfied.

If anything, I suspect it may be possible for Disney to eventually remotely re-code a KTTW card. For instance, a guest enters their assigned room and discovers that it has not been cleaned properly or some severe maintenance issue. Rather than returning to the front desk for new keys--which is time consuming at larger resorts--they may be able to remotely assign a new room when contacted via one of the house phones.

After I posted, some ideas came into my head...pay per view charging system was the first one, but then you could know which room it was anyways.

Then it dawned on me - remember the early, early rumors about Disney and patents on the Fastpass system to get Fastpasses from your room? Perhaps we're seeing another aspect of xPASS here...use the TV to select rides and times, then wave your RFID card/bracelet to get it assigned...need one for each person in your group.

Still...I'll wait until we hear more about these mysterious boxes...

I don't know about this "box" thing. I was responding more in general to the idea of resorts allowing countless room switches. Don't see that happening.

As for the set-top box, not sure what to make of that. Given the technology available today, applications are countless. But it sounds Disney's NextGen stuff is still a year or more away from being ready for prime time. Seems premature to start installing new specialized hardware in guest rooms.

I've heard some people mention that the new wifi access points were installed near the TV so perhaps that's what it was. :confused3

I don't know about this "box" thing. I was responding more in general to the idea of resorts allowing countless room switches. Don't see that happening.

As for the set-top box, not sure what to make of that. Given the technology available today, applications are countless. But it sounds Disney's NextGen stuff is still a year or more away from being ready for prime time. Seems premature to start installing new specialized hardware in guest rooms.

I've heard some people mention that the new wifi access points were installed near the TV so perhaps that's what it was. :confused3

I agree that it could be wifi hubs on a room by room basis...

remember that the hotels were built to cat 3 standards...which really means they can withstand anything that can get that far inland...and that is heavy steel and concrete reinforced structures. they were never meant for wireless or cell signals (because al gore was keeping it all secret back then)...so that very well could be the answer...

but don't dismiss any work as being "too early" for a next gen concept...remember that they at most rehab those rooms 3 years - usually longer - so if old key west or port or saratoga or the poly were being redone right now...it would behoove them to try to avoid later installation costs/problems.

But this is probably wifi...as i just read the DVC newsletter and it pretty matter of factly stated that free wifi is available everywhere...it technically states it as an "expansion" from a few locations...vero beach being one. And you need your iPad down there - not a whole hell of a lot going down on the sleepy coast.

and no dodgers either

I'll let you in on a shocker.

On 3 different years at OKW I have checked into the room, didn't like the location, requested a change and got it. This Feb we were assigned a 3rd floor room in Bldg 46. We asked to be reassigned to the 2nd floor and got it. Matter of fact someone in our party ended up in the hospital and we had to delay departure one day. Stayed in the same room too.

The never can happen....happened several times. If it's possible they will do it. The technical stuff is a piece of cake.

It really depends on occupancy rate, which depends on time of year.

After the staff at AKL/AKV screwed up and failed to switch us to a room that they promised, they had no other room available until the day before we checked out. And it wasn't a super-busy time either.

It really depends on occupancy rate, which depends on time of year.

After the staff at AKL/AKV screwed up and failed to switch us to a room that they promised, they had no other room available until the day before we checked out. And it wasn't a super-busy time either.

Right, but it does happen, not never.

Nice, it is the technology revolution that is overtaking each & every dimension of the world. In 10 or 20 years, you dont even need to say something.
There will be some machine (probably chip :P), which will be doing on your part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter