Availability Question for Renting Points

stacyjoy75

Mouseketeer
Hello! We have never rented points, but I have have been considering it over the last couple of years. I think we might go for it this year. We are looking for mid Dec. 2018, most likely the 13-20th. I know 11 months is when you can book this, but would it be starting on Nov.1, 2017 and Nov. 13? We want a studio at basically anywhere except OKW or SSR. How fast do these go? Is it like a hard to get ADR, where you wake up at 6am and be the first caller? Thank you so much!

Hello! We have never rented points, but I have have been considering it over the last couple of years. I think we might go for it this year. We are looking for mid Dec. 2018, most likely the 13-20th. I know 11 months is when you can book this, but would it be starting on Nov.1, 2017 and Nov. 13? We want a studio at basically anywhere except OKW or SSR. How fast do these go? Is it like a hard to get ADR, where you wake up at 6am and be the first caller? Thank you so much!

It would be January 13th. DVC has online booking, starting at 8:00am. That is a popular DVC time, the difficulty you will have is finding an owner for a particular resort who wants to book at 11 months.

Last edited:
It would be November 13th. DVC has online booking, starting at 8:00am. That is a popular DVC time, the difficulty you will have is finding an owner for a particular resort who wants to book at 11 months.
Actually it would be January 13, 2018 - 11 months from the check-in day for your desired stay.

It would be November 13th. DVC has online booking, starting at 8:00am. That is a popular DVC time, the difficulty you will have is finding an owner for a particular resort who wants to book at 11 months.
Ok. Thank you!

Your issue with renting points will be to find the owner with the points, UY and home resort of interest. At 11 months, an owner must own at the desired resort.

As a renter, always assume you won't get BLT Standard Studio, BWV Standard Studio, AKV Value Studio, AKV Club Level Studio. Unless you have pre-arrangement with an owner who will be online early in the booking period, for that time of year, I would also not place high hopes on Boulder Ridge or Grand Floridian studios.

Your issue with renting points will be to find the owner with the points, UY and home resort of interest. At 11 months, an owner must own at the desired resort.

As a renter, always assume you won't get BLT Standard Studio, BWV Standard Studio, AKV Value Studio, AKV Club Level Studio. Unless you have pre-arrangement with an owner who will be online early in the booking period, for that time of year, I would also not place high hopes on Boulder Ridge or Grand Floridian studios.
That is good info! What about BCV? We are looking for any studio just not OKW or SSR. They seem too similar to POR, which we love, but may as well get that instead of rent points at that point. Maybe I will just check around at the 11 month mark and see what is available. Knowing it is that difficult, we may just try for a moderate and free dining. We shall see :)

You are looking for prime time for DVC, so you should have a renter lined up well before the Jan start date so they can book right at the 11 month point.

That is good info! What about BCV? We are looking for any studio just not OKW or SSR. They seem too similar to POR, which we love, but may as well get that instead of rent points at that point. Maybe I will just check around at the 11 month mark and see what is available. Knowing it is that difficult, we may just try for a moderate and free dining. We shall see :)
ANY studio during the time frame that you are looking at will be a hard-to-get if you exclude SSR and OKW. Lining up an owner ahead of time gives you an edge but it also will limit you to whatever their home resort is. IOW, if you have a BCV owner lined up, you have excluded the possibility of booking a studio at any of the other DVC resorts at 11 months. With luck, it will not be a problem. OTOH, an owner that commits their points to you ahead of the 11-month booking window is also taking a chance that they will be able to secure the reservation you want while turning down other potential renters. So they will be motivated to get it for you.

My advice is to work through one of the brokers. Since you are OK with anything except OKW & SSR, give the broker a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and etc. choice and allow the broker to arrange for whichever they can fill (based on which owners have committed points for rental for your choices).

Yes get your request in early with a broker. Problem is how many owners actually list with a broker right at 11 months which is what you'll need to secure this reservation. Also, many owners ( like myself) have no problems renting these types of reservations without even going through a broker. Lastly, your competing with owners who list to simply just transfer points out ( like I just did) then don't even worry about the rental process at all. All the more reason to buy where you want to stay and book yourself. Lots of challenges but it can be done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter