Availability reality at non home resort 7 months out

Many people look at judging how economical SAPs are by dividing the purchase price by the number of remaining years and then adding in the dues to get a total price per point.

Direct has the advantage of being available at every resort now and in the future.

So, many people are finding VGF direct very attractive now for future proof SAPs.

(Caveat: This is if you are OK staying anywhere. I’m still a buy where you want to stay fan by default).
We have basically decided that we will look to stay at the following resorts in some type of rotation/availability.

2 bedrooms
SSR
OKW
AKV-J
BWV
BCV
BRV
CCV

1 bedroom
BLT
AKV-K

We are going to try a split stay to see if we like it, but I doubt we would do that every trip. Our trips will be anywhere from 7 to 10 days.
We have enough choices that if a resort is not available, we will just move to the next one. As we experience each trip, I have no doubt our thoughts will change. We do not know what we do not know at this point.

Many people look at judging how economical SAPs are by dividing the purchase price by the number of remaining years and then adding in the dues to get a total price per point.

Direct has the advantage of being available at every resort now and in the future.

So, many people are finding VGF direct very attractive now for future proof SAPs.

(Caveat: This is if you are OK staying anywhere. I’m still a buy where you want to stay fan by default).
Just curious how come people haven't created a forum or a spot to post how much they paid per point when buying their contract?

We just got back from our first trip and are planning for next year.

We enjoyed BLT and plan to stay again. We are extending our stay from a week to 8-10 days and also staying at a second resort.

Following some previous recommendations I would book 2 reservations at SSR with the idea that one would be modified at 7 months.

I would have to borrow from my August 2025 points unless I purchase a second contract by then which is unlikely.
Do I have that process correct?
I’ve been dvc for 6 years. Only stayed in my home resort of copper creek 1 time. Every single trip has been booked at 7 months or less. Most of the time 2-4 months.

I have only been “stuck” at Saratoga 1 time and it was very nice.

I’ve been dvc for 6 years. Only stayed in my home resort of copper creek 1 time. Every single trip has been booked at 7 months or less. Most of the time 2-4 months.

Studio's?

Exactly. I will be ready for the darts after this post. But I am not a believer in buy where you want to stay. We purchased SSR because it allowed us 2 weeks of points with a few extra. Those 2 weeks allowed us for some great family vacations with 3 resort only days per trip (water parks, golf, Kennedy Space Center, Harry Potter, etc.). We enjoyed the parks without feeling rush and pushing the kids to point of exhaustion.

We even booked Christmas week with our SAP at CCV. Resale restrictions at this point would not change our strategy. Poly2 is the one that will give us pause. But the direct deals at VGF is something we would consider if it was a thing when we purchased. We love SSR and have stayed there several times by choice not because it was a last resort. It is our favorite Christmas resort only stay. It allows us to walk to Disney Springs for great meals plus resort hope to see all the decorations.

Exactly. I will be ready for the darts after this post. But I am not a believer in buy where you want to stay. We purchased SSR because it allowed us 2 weeks of points with a few extra. Those 2 weeks allowed us for some great family vacations with 3 resort only days per trip (water parks, golf, Kennedy Space Center, Harry Potter, etc.). We enjoyed the parks without feeling rush and pushing the kids to point of exhaustion.

We even booked Christmas week with our SAP at CCV. Resale restrictions at this point would not change our strategy. Poly2 is the one that will give us pause. But the direct deals at VGF is something we would consider if it was a thing when we purchased. We love SSR and have stayed there several times by choice not because it was a last resort. It is our favorite Christmas resort only stay. It allows us to walk to Disney Springs for great meals plus resort hope to see all the decorations.

In a way, though, you do own at a place you want to stay and are happy with it, even though you like to trade out. If you could not move elsewhere, you’d be okay since you say you love your home resort.

The advice about buy where you want to stay is for anyone who wants to be at that one special place…or has a few,,,and will be disappointed or frustrated if they can’t get them on a regular basis.

Nothing is impossible and being flexible with dates, rooms sizes, etc. can increase one’s odds of staying a lot of places, but if someone wants to be at the monorail resorts every trip, and won’t be happy or at least content to have to stay at their home resort, the savings at the beginning just may not be worth it.

Quick Question: For my SAP, I know the booking window opens at 7 months, but at exactly what time? I want to give myself the best chance for getting the booking I want.

So, realistically speaking, I should not expect to reserve a value room at AKV since my home resort is SSR but can I bank on a studio room at AKV in August? Your thoughts?

So, realistically speaking, I should not expect to reserve a value room at AKV since my home resort is SSR but can I bank on a studio room at AKV in August? Your thoughts?
You will likely be able to book a standard or savanna studio in August. You will not be able to book value rooms.

The upshot - buy where you won't mind staying, book home before the seven month window, switch if something more desirable is available. When you do this, understand banking and borrowing so that you don't waste points if your switch involves fewer points. Make the switching reservation right when the seven month window opens - and if you don't get what you want, maybe try in a day or two (it can sometimes take a few days for things to move around as people cancel and rebook), or try waitlisting or stalking if you want. Don't get your heart set on something specific (this year we WILL stay at BCV) - you'll likely be able to try all the resorts, but opportunistically rather than on a planned schedule - and you may never get BWV/BCV during Food and Wine or specialty rooms (standard view/value/VAKL Concierge/ etc.) or HHI during the Summer months. Don't "bank" on anything until you call (although VAKL is a large resort that usually has seven month availability for studios - especially if you are willing to stay at Kidani). You will have better luck if you are willing/able to splurge on one bedrooms. Understand resale restrictions (don't buy resale and expect to stay at RIV).

The upshot - buy where you won't mind staying, book home before the seven month window, switch if something more desirable is available. When you do this, understand banking and borrowing so that you don't waste points if your switch involves fewer points. Make the switching reservation right when the seven month window opens - and if you don't get what you want, maybe try in a day or two (it can sometimes take a few days for things to move around as people cancel and rebook), or try waitlisting or stalking if you want. Don't get your heart set on something specific (this year we WILL stay at BCV) - you'll likely be able to try all the resorts, but opportunistically rather than on a planned schedule - and you may never get BWV/BCV during Food and Wine or specialty rooms (standard view/value/VAKL Concierge/ etc.) or HHI during the Summer months. Don't "bank" on anything until you call (although VAKL is a large resort that usually has seven month availability for studios - especially if you are willing to stay at Kidani). You will have better luck if you are willing/able to splurge on one bedrooms. Understand resale restrictions (don't buy resale and expect to stay at RIV).
When you reference loosing points, you can loose points if you book at your home resort then decide to book elsewhere for less points?

You can regularly assume no value rooms or concierge at any thine without owning there. But other type rooms are generally available

AKV value rooms are at times available at 7 months in the 1BR. To be honest, I have not been able to get a 2BR value for at least 5 years even at the 11 month mark. We originally bought enough points direct for a week of a 2BR value for the week we like in January. But that wouldn’t even work now since they changed the point charts. I rarely even see the studio values available at 11 month. I’m guessing people spend a lot of time ‘walking’ and grabbing those rooms before they hit the real 11 month mark.

That being said, we always find a booking at a resort and have had good stays. We’ve tried most of the resorts, but AKV, OKW, and SSR are our favorites. We did a SSR resale because I could buy more points than VGF direct, and our favorites have overall good availability at the 7 month mark.

So, no matter what you decide, there will be changes down the road that you might not have thought of, but that doesn’t mean you won’t still have great vacations with DVC.

Also since our travel period is August and at BLT we would stay at a 1-bedroom LAKEVIEW since my wife loved it so much she does not want to reserve a standard room is my thought correct that even with all we liked about BLT buying there might not be necessary?
Our first stay at BLT was a lakeview 2br on rented points - it was spectacular - a high enough floor and on the north end of the building so we had a view of the lake *and* fireworks. (**02 room)

But then when we bought our BLT points, thanks to luck with room requests we have gotten 2, 3 and 4th floor rooms (1br, 2br) in the center part of the C. where theme park view starts on the 5th floor. The one time we splurged on TPV for a couple's weekend, we were much higher, but then were out during fireworks anyway. oh well.

Thanks to the summer incentives, we now hold most of our points at VGF - I would give VGF, especially the OG DVC building, a try before writing it off. Yes it's a lot of points, but all the beds are real beds (Murphy beds), the DVC building is quiet and peaceful, and the resort is lovely. So many good restaurants, and walking distance to MK and Poly. It has always had a reputation for being a little "fancy" but it's Disney. There's kids around all over the place and it's where I want to be over Christmas. The gingerbread house! The tree! The carolers! Over Easter, there are chocolate egg displays everywhere - the whole place smells like chocolate. One of my most magical memories is walking with DH and my then-5yo who was wearing an Aurora dress across the main building lobby. The pianist started playing the Sleeping Beauty waltz and I have priceless video of a daddy-daughter dance.

Yes, I like Riviera too, but we have a longer history with VGF and BLT. :)

Back to OP's question - we have always booked our home resort first, as soon as we had a sense of dates we were planning, and then modified later if we wanted. The first few years, we stayed repeatedly at our home resorts because we liked them, and would have been happy to stay there every time - since we have 3, it's not like we'd be staying at the same place every single trip. Sometimes the wait lists clear barely 30 days out, and I would stalk a LOT also. It also helps that we often go in late August, and we have often moved at 7 months (or 6.5 months) out without even needing to wait list. Here's a rough list of non-home-resorts we've stayed and I've starred the ones we had to wait list. Also booking during COVID was easier for obvious reasons, so I marked the 2021 stays - we were deciding last minute so we were often booking at 7mo or less, but of course it was different back then.

AKV:
2br savanna
1br value (2021)

BCV:
studio* (Aug 2022)
2br
1br (2021)

BWV
std studio (Xmas 2020)
2br BWV*
2br standard*

AUL
1br OV* (some WL, some stalking)

VGC
1br

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter