AVATAR Land Construction Area Expanding

I got my d23 events mixed up it was in 2011 at the d23 expo. And yes I said that planning didn't begin until after the announcement hence the long time this is taking. Maybe that has been Disney's problem as of late is that they have announced things too early and then it takes longer that way. NFL opened in phases avatar or pandora is not going to do that it will likely open all at once. I think that is part of the reason they haven't announced anything with DHS yet because they are early in planning and design.

The Disney D23 Expo 2011 ran from Aug. 19 to 21. There was nothing about the Cameron deal at the D23 Expo because the deal did not yet exist.

The announcement a month later was about Disney making a deal with Cameron for exclusive global theme park rights to AVATAR. This announcement included the item that Disney's Animal Kingdom would get an AVATAR-themed land, but absolutely no details about what that land would offer -- because none of those details existed yet.

Disney finally revealed artwork and some details in October 2013: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ar-to-come-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Camp Minnie-Mickey closed on Jan. 6, 2014. The real site preparation and construction for the AVATAR land did not begin until this year.

The Disney D23 Expo 2011 ran from Aug. 19 to 21. There was nothing about the Cameron deal at the D23 Expo because the deal did not yet exist.

The announcement a month later was about Disney making a deal with Cameron for exclusive global theme park rights to AVATAR. This announcement included the item that Disney's Animal Kingdom would get an AVATAR-themed land, but absolutely no details about what that land would offer -- because none of those details existed yet.

Disney finally revealed artwork and some details in October 2013: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ar-to-come-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Camp Minnie-Mickey closed on Jan. 6, 2014. The real site preparation and construction for the AVATAR land did not begin until this year.

all correct
announced Sept 2011
Concept Art Oct 2013
Construction Jan 2014
Staggs said completion early 2017

all correct announced Sept 2011 Concept Art Oct 2013 Construction Jan 2014 Staggs said completion early 2017
And I've heard that completion may actually be mid to late 2017 now. Also screamscape reported that vertical construction has begun on the site.

And I've heard that completion may actually be mid to late 2017 now. Also screamscape reported that vertical construction has begun on the site.

you probably heard that on magic which i read that as well...But staggs is on record as saying early 2017 but we will see

you probably heard that on magic which i read that as well...But staggs is on record as saying early 2017 but we will see
yes that is where I saw it but I know staggs said early 2017 and the rivers of light and night safaris are supposed to start in 2016

Well we have been on the Animal Kingdom Backstage tour about 1 week ago and there was a few pictures that Disney already released of what it would look like but there was nothing to see just foundations like others have posted.

I think its not the best decision that Disney have made but I am sure it will work out as I am excited about the nighttime shows. Also one of the tour guides for the backstage safari tour said they recently put in LED's in the leaves at the tree of life which is part of the nighttime show that will be part of Avatar land.

So it should be exciting. I wish they did a Pride land section in Africa that is next to the Lion King Festival show.

But we shall see

Well we have been on the Animal Kingdom Backstage tour about 1 week ago and there was a few pictures that Disney already released of what it would look like but there was nothing to see just foundations like others have posted. I think its not the best decision that Disney have made but I am sure it will work out as I am excited about the nighttime shows. Also one of the tour guides for the backstage safari tour said they recently put in LED's in the leaves at the tree of life which is part of the nighttime show that will be part of Avatar land. So it should be exciting. I wish they did a Pride land section in Africa that is next to the Lion King Festival show. But we shall see
Yes they debuted the LED lights over the summer during he harambe nights events.

I still have a very hard time understanding how Avatar and Disney fit together.

Avatar is set in a magical fantasy world. Disney is built on fantasy and magic, seems like a good fit to me. Whether you liked the money or not Pandora can be one amazing template for the imaginers. Very interested to see these flying mountains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter