Avelo airlines

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
I just found out this airline is operating pretty close to home, and has one way to/from MCO for $69. Anyone use them before and can tell me the good and bad? I'm always nervous booking with carriers who are not the major ones.

DH flew them last month. They're pretty much like every other ultra low cost carrier. The only major difference is their allowable size for the free personal item is tiny.

They fly near us, out of Wilmington, DE. When we checked them out there seemed to be a lot extra fees (seats, luggage...don't recall exactly) that, once added up seemed to be not that much cheaper. BUT that was a while ago, and only out of one airport so they may be a better deal out of other airports.

When you fly, sometimes you are on a tight schedule, and sometimes you aren't. If I were just visiting friends and didn't really have to be there on a particular date, I might try this airline. If I needed to get to my destination on a particular date, I might not because (a) they only fly out of the airport two days a week, and (b) the airline only owns 16 planes, and (c) there aren't many other flights out of the small airport. So if the plane had mechanical difficulties or something, it seems unlikely that I would be able to leave on the day I wanted with that airline. Or the next day. Or the next day. I would have to use a different airline out of a different airport.

If that doesn't bother you, try pricing it out. There are fees in addition to the base price.
a) Carrier Electronic Usage charge: up to $27 per person per segment
b) Carry on bag: I checked a random date, and the price ranged from $43 if pay when you book to $65 if pay at the airport
c) Checked bag: $40 if pay when you book to $65 if pay at the airport
d) select your seat preference from $11 and up, or opt to have your seat assigned
e) board the plane before general boarding: $15
f) pet in cabin: $125
g) book, change or cancel through their customer support center: $20 per person (when not done online)

^^ I agree need to consider all of those factors when choosing any of these new/shoe-string airlines. You can't just compare the base price of tickets without all of those extra cost items. Since they are a fairly new airline and only have a few planes, any type of issue is going to cause significant schedule disruptions. They also have divided their fleet between the East & West coast if you look at their map of where they travel, so the number of planes that actually service your part of the country is even smaller. If they don't have daily flights, how long will you be delayed waiting for their next flight if there happens to be some sort of issue? While you may save a few dollars or they service cities without a lot of other choices, need to consider the total picture when deciding to fly with them.

Many of these start-ups have big ambitions, but the reality of the large fixed costs for any airline doesn't change the overall picture. Some may do well and continue to expand while others might go out of business.

I hope to try them soon...sometime they offer direct flights to MCO for $38 locally!

I think there's a different fee if you book other than online.

But I haven't done it myself.
There is a $20 fee if you call in to book through the "Customer Support Center." No fee is listed for purchasing at the airport.

We have flown Avelo from Wilmington NC to Orlando. Upsides - nonstop flight, friendly crew, low base prices. Downsides - limited flights (both in the number of days they fly as well as number of flights in a day), pay for all but the smallest bag, pay for seat assignments. Planes are a bit older but were clean and seemed to be well-maintained. If you can fly with a backpack and don't care about your seat assignment, it's a great deal. I paid for a carryon and an aisle seat - it wasn't that much cheaper than flying another airline, but it was the only nonstop flight to Orlando so it was still good. I would fly them again if the days work for my schedule - they only fly from Wilmington to Orlando Thursdays, Fridays and Mondays.

Our flight to Orlando was delayed over an hour due to a ground stop in Orlando, but that wasn't Avelo's fault.

DH flew them last month. They're pretty much like every other ultra low cost carrier. The only major difference is their allowable size for the free personal item is tiny.
How strict are they with checking the bags? We're scheduled to fly with them next Thursday for the first time. Are we okay as long as the backpack is underpacked and can squish into a sizer? When I looked at the published sizes, the length is shorter than even my 'junior" LL Bean backpack that's appropriate for preschoolers.

How strict are they with checking the bags? We're scheduled to fly with them next Thursday for the first time. Are we okay as long as the backpack is underpacked and can squish into a sizer? When I looked at the published sizes, the length is shorter than even my 'junior" LL Bean backpack that's appropriate for preschoolers.
What did you learn about the personal sized bag? I am flying Avelo for the first time in October. I've been concerned about this.

I would check the Avelo website for specifics about personal sized items, carry-ons, baggage & the associated fees. Many of these low-cost airlines are VERY particular on what type of baggage can be carried on the airplane partly as a way to charge you more then just the ticket price. Some airlines hardly ever look at the size of what you carry-on, but others are VERY strict.

1695670160514.png

What did you learn about the personal sized bag? I am flying Avelo for the first time in October. I've been concerned about this.
Just got back today. At no point were they checking bag sizes, and basically everyone had as big a pack as they wanted. My kid and I, on the other hand, had our stuff needlessly jammed into those junior backpacks. We’re the rule-following suckers.

And while there was a sizer to check for overhead bin carryon luggage (for larger paid bags and suitcases), Avelo didn’t even have a personal item box sizer like Frontier and Spirit do. My take away is that as long as your bag fits under the seat, you’re fine.

I would check the Avelo website for specifics about personal sized items, carry-ons, baggage & the associated fees. Many of these low-cost airlines are VERY particular on what type of baggage can be carried on the airplane partly as a way to charge you more then just the ticket price. Some airlines hardly ever look at the size of what you carry-on, but others are VERY strict.

View attachment 796748
I found the info, I'm just having a hard time finding a bag that will work with their dimensions. And honestly, don't really want to buy one as I have several bags already that are just over the size limit.

Just got back today. At no point were they checking bag sizes, and basically everyone had as big a pack as they wanted. My kid and I, on the other hand, had our stuff needlessly jammed into those junior backpacks. We’re the rule-following suckers.

And while there was a sizer to check for overhead bin carryon luggage (for larger paid bags and suitcases), Avelo didn’t even have a personal item box sizer like Frontier and Spirit do. My take away is that as long as your bag fits under the seat, you’re fine.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I've heard conflicting things through searching but it's nice to hear a recent report.

My DH and I have first flight with them booked later this month at $58 round trip! My DD did this trip in June and loved it more than Spirit and even American. The days are restrictive but we are planning our trips around them for this low cost trip! I did book a checked bag at $80 round trip which is the funny part. Also concerned about the personal item size, but we are just going to try with our backpacks not full..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter