• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avengers attractions planned?

lvdis

love disney
Has anyone heard that Disney is planning Avengers attractions? I heard it on the radio this morning on my way to work. I just remembered to Google it and found a few different places that have mentioned it including this - http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/05/avengers-sequel/

'In a potentially exciting development, though, Iger also mentioned that Avengers-based attractions are being planned for Disney’s theme parks."

Sounds interesting!

Just so you know, there will be no attractions anytime soon in Orlando. Universal has an exclusive contract with Marvel which was created in the late 1990s to have the only marvel based attractions/rides/shows in a theme park within a 250 mile radius of their park.

This would be for disney shanghai and possibly california, but not WDW. Apparently this is why the avengerail will only do the MK resort loop and not epcot because it doesn't physically enter into a theme park but it would if it went to Epcot.

It was my understanding that WDW cannot have any Marvel based attractions INSIDE their US theme parks due to the current licensing agreement Universal has in place to protect its IoA assets. So any attractions would possibly be overseas at DLP, TDL SD etc.

I thought it had been discussed previously that Disney would only be able to do any Marvel-based attractions in Disneyland or California Adventure, since in Florida, Universal Studios has the exclusive theme park rights to the characters? I could be wrong though.

Edit: Ahh, I see jjsdad and jennasis beat me to the punch :)

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but from what I understand, whenever Universal's contract for Marvel's Island of Adventure does expire, there's some kind of clause that gives Universal first option to renew. So if that's indeed true, Disney World would theoretically only be able to get any Marvel attractions once Universal actually allows them to.

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but from what I understand, whenever Universal's contract for Marvel's Island of Adventure does expire, there's some kind of clause that gives Universal first option to renew. So if that's indeed true, Disney World would theoretically only be able to get any Marvel attractions once Universal actually allows them to.

That was my understanding as well..Universal has a WHOLE land themed to Marvel and just spent major bucks upgrading the Spiderman ride.They aren't going to give up the Marvel characters anytime soon..I like them at Universal it fits in there perfectly.I just can't see them at Disney unless they are at DHS

I can't see the contract expiring any time soon. It literally could run for over a hundred years (in UK law I've seen land contracts lasting 800 years)...

It would effectively make IoA redundant, which I'm sure they will have planned for, extensively.

I don't think I've ever seen the terms of the Universal/Marvel contract detailed. Who knows if they've ever been made public? I've seen all sorts of predictions from contracts ending at the end of 2012, 10 more years, to perpetuity ... With all the ins and outs and clauses in the contracts, who knows what the true deal is??

Yeah, it's going to be along time before that happens. Even the Avengers monorail is barred from the Epcot loop because it passes within a theme park.

News ticker from Captivate in our work elevators mentioned today that Avengers 2 is being planned, video games are currently in development and Avengers would be coming soon to all Disney parks. Didn't catch the source for that though.

I doubt there would be all these press releases unless Disney knows for sure that they will be able to use the marvel characters. The legal team would have reviewed the statements. They wouldn't be saying these things if they legally couldn't.

I don't think I've ever seen the terms of the Universal/Marvel contract detailed. Who knows if they've ever been made public? I've seen all sorts of predictions from contracts ending at the end of 2012, 10 more years, to perpetuity ... With all the ins and outs and clauses in the contracts, who knows what the true deal is??

Here is it. Contract Link

Part III says the contract is valid in perpetuity unless Universal fails to meet certain standards.

The way I understood it was Disney couldn't use the characters Universal is using/have under contract until that contract is up. So no Hulk, Spiderman, Dr. Doom or X-men(just no Storm maybe?)? But Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye should all be free not to mention Vision, Dare Devil, ***********, Black Panter, War Machine maybe Wolverine and Beast and the rest of the X-men since the X-men ride is Storms? So there are a lot of unused characters and that isn't even a quarter of them thats just the main ones most people know.

Has anyone heard that Disney is planning Avengers attractions? I heard it on the radio this morning on my way to work. I just remembered to Google it and found a few different places that have mentioned it including this - http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/05/avengers-sequel/

'In a potentially exciting development, though, Iger also mentioned that Avengers-based attractions are being planned for Disney’s theme parks."

Sounds interesting!

Everyone has to remember that there are 10 (?) Disney Parks in the world. Less than half are in Florida, so when these kinds of things are said it doesn't always mean WDW.

Sounds interesting!

So funny... because I too heard that on the radio on my way in this morning!

The way I understood it was Disney couldn't use the characters Universal is using/have under contract until that contract is up. So no Hulk, Spiderman, Dr. Doom or X-men(just no Storm maybe?)? But Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye should all be free not to mention Vision, Dare Devil, ***********, Black Panter, War Machine maybe Wolverine and Beast and the rest of the X-men since the X-men ride is Storms? So there are a lot of unused characters and that isn't even a quarter of them thats just the main ones most people know.

I'm trying to figure out what Marvel character name would be censored by the boards?

More or less, it has to get to a point where Disney and Universal come to a severance agreement. I'm sure neither are too happy about it, but Universal would really need some new IP to replace the Marvel content. And that such deal would probably involve/require Disney paying off Universal a tidy sum so they can afford to get out/retheme that large of a section.

Maybe the Avengers did well enough that Iger has the board ok with that check, but time will tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter