Avis, Budget or Alamo?

uandmfan

Mouseketeer
Hi all

I've been reading up on some experiences here and was wondering if anyone has some thoughts. I am renting a mini van in late January/early Feb. Budget is cheapest by about $50, but it seems that people have had horrible experiences with them at MCO (long lines, aggressive upselling, etc). Avis is next, and they seem to have a skip the counter option and then the "most expensive" option is Alamo, which I know people here seem to prefer.

I'd rather save the $50 if I can, but will forego it if it means hanging out in line for an hour plus. We will have 2 kids and a baby so getting the car and getting out is worth the cost. If Budget is a bad idea, what about Avis? Or should I stick with Alamo?

Any recent experiences with any of the three? If it matters, we expect to arrive in Orlando around 10:30 am on a Tuesday.

TIA

Last edited:
We always use Avis, there skip the line program works good at MCO. Usually you get to pick your car thru the app(based on class) however this past trip they just assigned us a car which wasn't a stellar pick but it got us around just fine.

I always do Alamo there. I have never had a problem. And have been for years. You can skip the line there. I also have never been charged a deposit with them. So that is also something to think about when it comes to other rentals.

My vote is
1. Alamo. Normally competitive rates and never once had a sour experience with the process nor vehicle. Also pick your own car is big for me
2. Avis Can be a little more pricey. Had two car in same day that were smoked in and agents could care less. My rentals there are probably less than 5 times so hard to judge
100. Budget. Long lines. Long lines. Long lines. Cars were meh at best. The last 3 times trying to rent there has me on the only if nothing else and substantially cheaper list

Ok. I'm cheap, but (hopefully) not stupid. Budget is out!

Avis does have a skip the counter as well, but most people on here seem to prefer with Alamo. I'll consider both I guess, but l am leaning towards Alamo. Anyone else with Avis skip the counter experience at MCO?

Thanks everyone. Easier to forego Budget when that seems to be the consensus!

One important item with Avis is that you can only skip the line if you already have an account with them and have rented previously. If it's your first time with them, you are required to go to the counter so they can set up your info. After the first time renting, then you can skip the counter.

One important item with Avis is that you can only skip the line if you already have an account with them and have rented previously. If it's your first time with them, you are required to go to the counter so they can set up your info. After the first time renting, then you can skip the counter.
This is true however it can be done at any Avis location you don't have to wait until you get to MCO to do it. If you have an Avis in your area just go there to do the verification, you don't have to be renting a vehicle.

All big agency require you pre register with their program to get skip the line. That means, credit card on file and your drivers licence. It does save time in the end to walk to the garage and get your car with any of the big agencies.

Used Budget in Feb 2022 because they were significantly cheaper than my preferred agency, Alamo. NEVER AGAIN. Long story, but every aspect of the rental from the line to get the car, smoke smell, poor car condition, no customer service and waiting weeks for a final receipt. I'll pay more for Alamo. Used them many times over the last 15 years and have had good experiences.

I haven't rented a car at MCO in 2023 yet, but I am responding based on my own past experiences.

My company offers a corporate discount for Avis. I have compared the total rental price against Alamo Insider or BJ's discounted total rental and have found Avis to be the less expensive option. I've seen those lines for Budget at MCO and :scared1: If I wasn't going to get a rental until I was on property, I would use Alamo for the Car Care Center convenience.

With Avis Preferred (signing up to get a wizard ID), I was able to use the check-in counter in the garage the first time I rented. In fact, there was a sign at the entrance to the Avis queue in the terminal to use the garage for preferred. Now my rentals show up on the board in the garage.

If you add your flight information to your rental car reservation, can you go to a different terminal if you don't like the car selection in the terminal you landed in?

We always use Alamo for a Minivan and will be using them again in January. We skip the lines and just go to the garage, pick our vehicle, and drive out. Very quick service.

Also, Alamo is more expensive but I check the site daily and it usually decreases significantly the month or so before we travel. When I booked, it was $1200 for two weeks and when we travelled, it had dropped to $650 for two weeks. I do use Costco for their discount. I'm hoping for the same this year!

Have had SO many bad experiences at Budget that we will always pay more for either Alamo or Avis. We also use Costco and I check the rates frequently to get the best deal.

Keep checking rates. They can and do change. I never prepay for rentals so sometimes I have one or two at the same time, for different sized cars

I'll keep checking and signed up for Autoslash. Since it's almost 1k less than what we paid in Calgary this summer it seems reasonable, although I'm sure everyone else will think it's crazy! I've got one booked with Alamo. I'm nervous about Avis and ignoring Budget!!

I stick with Alamo now since I can go straight to the car. Keep checking the rate starting 10 days out from your trip and book then cancel. The prices have always gone down in my experience. They were even lower the day of pickup once.

Being a member of their club gets you a discount too.

Yes, many business travelers to MCO do just that.
I need to pick up a Visitor Toll Pass in Terminal A's car rental desk area, but my flight arrives in Terminal.

To confirm, even though my flight arrives in Terminal B, I can simply go to Terminal A's garage to pick up my Avis rental (without checking in at a Terminal B avis counter)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter