• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avoiding Motion Sickness Help!

Disneygirl2018

Earning My Ears
Hey y’all,

So my family and I are making a trip to Disneyland and California Adventure (1 day at each park) in August.

I have recently acquired motion sickness and I would love some of your best tips for motion sickness and Disney rides. Last time I went to Disneyland I was 16 and had no issues spinning those teacups as fast as they would go (teacups are my favorite classic park ride!) and riding California Screamin’ (Now Incredicoaster?) 10 times in a row. When I went to Harry Potter World in Orlando when I was 19 I got very ill on the castle ride (much to my disappointment as I’m a HUGE Harry Potter fan). I thought I might just be sick but then noticed the following year that I got sick on rollercoasters and rides at the theme park we have back home.

For a slight adrenaline junkie this depressing and I would love to know which medications make it better? I’ve tried Dramamine but it didn’t really help all that much. I’m really hoping to ride Incredicoaster, and teacups, and DEFINITELY the new Star Wars ride and Guardians is the Galaxy drop tower!! Are there any medications you know of that will halt the motion sickness completely? Or do they mainly just take the edge off?

Thanks!

I take ginger gravol and that helps. There are bracelets you can get that use pressure points. Had them when I took a cruise and I think they helped. You can get a patch for motion sickness as well from your dr. Those are also pretty popular on cruises for seasickness. Note you can't drink when you're wearing them.

Sorry to hear about this -- motion sickness is not fun! First off, have you seen a doctor to confirm that this really is motion sickness and nothing else? (I've always had motion sickness, but one time it turned out to be vertigo and required different treatment -- so it can't hurt to check.) Assuming that motion sickness is the case, there are many different things that people use on this board. Dramamine and Bonine are common. They aren't identical, so if the one didn't work, try the other. Some people swear by the pressure point bracelets/bands. Ginger capsules and candies work really well for me. Also essential oils. Have you pinpointed what kind of motion is setting off the nausea? Or is it everything in general? You're going to want to try things out and test things before your trip -- trial and error once you get here won't make for a fun time for you. If you find something that really works for you, report back! It might really help someone else, too.

Last edited:
In the past I have got a prescription for the motion sickness patch. Not sure if there is still an issue, but I know about 6 months ago most pharmacies were unable to get it in stock since it was on back order. So on my October trip last year (and others since), I have used something called VertigoX. I ordered it on Amazon. It is a small little vial with oils and a roll-on type of application. I just apply the liquid behind my ears before (and after) going on rides that trigger my motion sickness. Does it help 100%, no. But it definitely helps. The other things I would recommend is just don't go from ride to ride that will trigger this. I made the mistake of going on Monsters After Dark and then going on Incredicoaster. At that point, I was done for the night.

I do gravol as well as ginger chews and the pressure point bracelets. I still would never attempt the incredicoaster due to the one upside down loop, but most other rides aren’t an issue :)

I've tried everything going with no luck so far; Dramamine, Bonine, bracelets, ginger, grinning/screaming, deep breathing. We're headed to WDW in 2 days and I finally broke down and am trying the Scopolamine patch. DH and DS used it when deep sea fishing and said it worked great. I don't know why I've been so afraid to try it, but I'm tired of not being able to ride new rides (FoP) and old faves (ST). So we'll see how it goes on ST on Sunday. I'm still packing a plastic bag though. Just in case.

The problem with MS (motion sickness) is that it really seems to be individual. What works like a charm for one person does nothing for another.

Incidentally, I didn't have MS until I hit my mid 50s. My doctor said it's not unusual to develop MS as we get older, and it generally gets worse as time passes. Lovely.

Hey y’all,

So my family and I are making a trip to Disneyland and California Adventure (1 day at each park) in August.

I have recently acquired motion sickness and I would love some of your best tips for motion sickness and Disney rides. Last time I went to Disneyland I was 16 and had no issues spinning those teacups as fast as they would go (teacups are my favorite classic park ride!) and riding California Screamin’ (Now Incredicoaster?) 10 times in a row. When I went to Harry Potter World in Orlando when I was 19 I got very ill on the castle ride (much to my disappointment as I’m a HUGE Harry Potter fan). I thought I might just be sick but then noticed the following year that I got sick on rollercoasters and rides at the theme park we have back home.

For a slight adrenaline junkie this depressing and I would love to know which medications make it better? I’ve tried Dramamine but it didn’t really help all that much. I’m really hoping to ride Incredicoaster, and teacups, and DEFINITELY the new Star Wars ride and Guardians is the Galaxy drop tower!! Are there any medications you know of that will halt the motion sickness completely? Or do they mainly just take the edge off?

Thanks!

Its never fun when you or a family member has motion sickness when you are at the parks. It's a weird thing where I used to have it when I was younger but then when I hit like 13 or 14 it just stopped. There are many cases like yours where it wasnt happening and then out of no where you just get it.

I think the most frustrating part is how many different things there are out there. But its really about trial and error. As you can probably tell by all the things people have posted here, there are a lot of different methods and options. What works for some might not work for you. But with time and effort (notepad helps), you can find the right thing for you. Whether that be 1 of the options or a combo of them. One of my friend does the patch plus ginger chews and she can go on all the rides all day. But unless she has both she cant handle them.

So the best advice I could give is to not give up. It might take time, but eventually with enough effort you will find the right thing for you. You'll be on the Icredicoaster in no time

I use Dramamine. The less drowsey formula. As long as I take it about a half hour or so before I’m getting on a problem ride, I’m good to go. It lasts for hours, so I don’t need to retake it, unless maybe if I’m doing an extra long day.

... So the best advice I could give is to not give up. It might take time, but eventually with enough effort you will find the right thing for you. You'll be on the Icredicoaster in no time
So true! Also, keep track of what's setting things off. For some it's vertical motion. For others, it's spinning. For others, it's visual disturbance or not being able to have a clear view of the horizon at all times. Or certain odors can do it -- like the fumes from Autopia! Everyone is different, so once you know what your triggers are, you'll know what to avoid if the suggestions above don't help. Sometimes avoiding the problems can be your best help.

Motion sickness is a buzzkill when you're out for a day of fun. I hadn't experienced it until after my second child was born. Then it got really bad in my 40s. Suddenly I couldn't ride numerous favorite attractions - Space , ST, etc. I tried Dramamine, but even the non-drowsy formula made me so so so tired. On this forum I learned about Bonine and the strategy of taking it the night before at bedtime. That did the trick. The medication lasts 24 hours so talking it at bedtime means you are sleeping through any initial drowsiness but still have the positive effect of blocking motion sickness through the whole next day. I can ride anything now - no issues. I will be in LA next week and plan to go to Universal for the first time. (Yes I am such a Disney snob that I have never been to a Universal theme park.) I have seen all the videos of people being super nauseated by Harry P Forbidden Journey ride. I am counting on my Bonine to save the day.

I just started having motion sickness randonly about two years ago. It started on Screamin' and Big Thunder and last trip Space almost made me pass out so I skipped them..which made me relaly bumemd out. I'm in my early 40's now and have lost and kept off a signifigant amount of weight so wondering if it's everything readjusting. I have not heard of using ginger or Bonine before so I may try that !

I can feel your pain. Never used to get motion sickness (except on Star Tours) but every year it seems to get worse. I use Bonine the night before and that seems to work on most all the rides. I am not a teacup fan so I never go on those and the medicine doesn't help with Star Tours but I was able to go on every other roller coaster ride with no issues.

Ginger chews helps me when it comes to general nausea, but not with motion sickness on rides. My motion sickness comes and goes, but to be safe I always use Sea Bands which are pressure point bracelet cuffs. Super compact so they can fit easily into your bag of choice. Not sure if it's placebo, but they have helped me every time I've worn them.

I get motion sickness, and it seems to have gotten worse every time we go. Last trip I used bonine, sea bands, and ginger candy. I still got motion sickness on pretty much every ride. I tried to get a prescription for the patch, but apparently it's not being made at the moment? That's what the pharmacy told me, anyway.

One thing that I've done in the past on Star Tours was fan my face with my hand or a paper or something. I think it's the lack of moving air on that ride that makes me the sickest.

I take gravol about a half hour before getting on any rides and I only have to take another one if I’m really pushing my limits with coasters. I can do flights of passage a couple times without taking another pill. It should also be noted that I have a bit of a tolerance since I’ve been taking gravol for planes, cars, buses, and rides for well over 20 years since motion sickness has been a lifelong problem. If you forget your pills, the first aid centre at each park should have Dramamine.

I have suffered from motion sickness my entire life and I'm in my 50s. Tried many things. Some work, some don't. I've tried: scopalomine patches (they work but make me extremely sleepy); candied ginger (caused stomach upset worse than motion sickness); Dramamine (the regular kind - again sleepy and not entirely effective); Meclazine Chloride (I used Bonine but there are other brands) - it lasts 24 hours- I take 1 b4 bed & 1 at lunch next day- it works well and with no drowsiness. I also have a "ReliefBand" electronic device that I wear on my wrist that sends little "zaps" that works well BUT is extremely annoying. I only use it when flying or expecting really rough seas (we cruise often). Best advice: talk to your doctor, try different things b4 you go, and NEVER mix medicines unless your doctor approves first. Different things work for different people.

Another thing to consider- figure out if there is an anxiety factor to your motion sickness. Anxiety can add to the problem if you fear getting sick.

I've found sitting in the back row of Star Tours helps tremendously. Just ask the CM b4 loading, they'll tell you where to wait.

Good luck!

I agree with finding out if it’s motion sickness or vertigo. Unfortunately, I have both. I like the ingredient in Bonine better for motion sickness. (meclizine) For my vertigo, I have had two types of treatments. My favorite is found on half somersault maneuver dot com. I hope you find something to help! I know it’s not fun, especially at Disney!

I have really bad motion sickness as well (started in my mid 20's). I have found that Bonine works well for me. I am not able to ride anything that spins fast but can go on Incredicoaster and other big thrill rides (GOTG is my favorite). Good luck!

ETA; I am ok with the Bonine on slower moving spining like Dumbo and Mickey's Fun Wheel, but not fast spinning.:)

So true! Also, keep track of what's setting things off. For some it's vertical motion. For others, it's spinning. For others, it's visual disturbance or not being able to have a clear view of the horizon at all times. Or certain odors can do it -- like the fumes from Autopia! Everyone is different, so once you know what your triggers are, you'll know what to avoid if the suggestions above don't help. Sometimes avoiding the problems can be your best help.
Yes. I have been in heavy seas in a smaller boat when not possible to walk down a corridor without keeping my hands against the walls and not even a hint of nausea. I even look at tea cups and I get sick. Spinning motions are my Achilles’ Heel but I am very fortunate that it is easy to avoid spinning rides and not miss much. I am easily nauseous from bad odors but that is something different in almost all cases.

In the past I have got a prescription for the motion sickness patch. Not sure if there is still an issue, but I know about 6 months ago most pharmacies were unable to get it in stock since it was on back order. So on my October trip last year (and others since), I have used something called VertigoX. I ordered it on Amazon. It is a small little vial with oils and a roll-on type of application. I just apply the liquid behind my ears before (and after) going on rides that trigger my motion sickness. Does it help 100%, no. But it definitely helps. The other things I would recommend is just don't go from ride to ride that will trigger this. I made the mistake of going on Monsters After Dark and then going on Incredicoaster. At that point, I was done for the night.

I had the same issue trying to get a patch before our trip to WDW/Universal Orlando in Feb this year. It was backordered everywhere and didn't come in for them to order until 2 weeks after I was back from my trip.
I took Dramamine natural once per day and ate ginger gum (Seaband brand-available at Walgreens/CVS, etc) that I chewed just before getting on the ride and I was good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter