Away.com artical on WDW

Of course every system is abused to certain degrees, and the ways they are abused also vary from harmless to outrageous. That doesn't justify abusing the system however. And by someone doing so, it not only limits the availability of the system (GACs in this case) to those who actually need it, but it also makes those running it jaded and less willing to assist people fearing they could be faking.

I agree completely. I did a poor job of trying to say that it will be abused and that I try to not let it bother me or ruin my enjoyment of my vacation.

You are right in your last sentence, and I think those are the worst two aspects of abuse of a system: 1. people who actually need help , not getting it because they are not believed and 2. people running the systems assuming everyone is abusing the system because they have seen it so much.

I use my GAC to help me tour the parks with less meltdowns and more enjoyment. We only discovered I could get it on our second trip and what a difference!

It has been a lifesaver- taking the stress away and allowing me to relax and enjoy the magic. Sandra makes me very angry. It's people like her who ruin it for those who actually need help.

WHY on earth would you say your child is special needs if they are NOT! If you are not a parent of a special needs child you have no idea what that is. I promise you that if you had a special needs child you would NEVER say that about your children that are NOT!! You have no idea the pain, heart ache, time, love, ect ( i could go on and on) that it takes having a special needs child. I KNOW I have one!! I would not change it for the world but there are times i have my pitty party and wish she was NORMAL (so they say). My son is not specail needs and there is so much that my daughter misses out on because she is. I just do not uderstand why anyone would do that. Those are the people that need a day in the life of a parent like myself and so many others with special needs children and they would NEVER do it again!!

mfrench said:
Those are the people that need a day in the life of a parent like myself and so many others with special needs children and they would NEVER do it again!!

Well said.

People like this disgust me. :(

Not only does it make me sick that she abuses this system, but she is broadcasting it!:crazy2:
I have so many things I could say about this... sad sad sad:sad2:.

I have a GAC because I have extremely bad knees (knee cap moves, arthritis, bone on bone) and I can't stand for long periods of time. I hate getting a wheelchair because it may take away from someone who actually needs it. As long as I'm not standing for long periods of time I'm ok. I hate using it because I feel like people think I have for the exact reason Sandra stated...cut the lines. We went in August and brought a doctors note, Disney said they don't require notes for the GAC. Maybe they should so people like Sandra can stop abusing the system.

I don't think they're allowed to ask for a Dr's note -- the ADA prohibits it, I think.

As for us, we've had and used our GAC.

My son has autism, and is usually pretty easy going. Add in crowds, excitement, sensory issues AND waiting in lines... not so easy going.

For us, we use it for necessities. We travel in low season, deliberately to avoid crowds. Toy Story Mania has stairs. Even if he's in a good mood, we can't do the stairs. He hops, flaps, closes his eyes and jumps. Even then, we don't LIKE to use it. You can FEEL the stares. Trust me, not fun. Of course, my sweet boy is usually hoping and flapping - while waiting there. I wish people could understand it's as much for their safety as ours. (if he tumbles, he can take others with him)

Often, it does get us there a little quicker, on many different rides. If there is a wait, we'll do the ride ONCE. Maybe we'll come back later, and do it again, maybe not. Even then, I feel conspicuous about it.

I guess I can thank Sandra for that. :/

They pulled the comment from the article after all the responses about it.

Here's Sandra's follow-up

"If your kid doesn't have to wait, neither should mine. Disability access means EQUAL access, not better.

So no, I have no guilt about doing what I do.
At least I'm not one of the people who sell the GACs on Craigslist!"

The lack of guilt or remorse from her
is still hard to believe.

They pulled the comment from the article after all the responses about it.

Here's Sandra's follow-up

"If your kid doesn't have to wait, neither should mine. Disability access means EQUAL access, not better.

So no, I have no guilt about doing what I do.
At least I'm not one of the people who sell the GACs on Craigslist!"

The lack of guilt or remorse from her
is still hard to believe.

I hope they find out who Sandra is and ban her from the parks for life. With a GAC, you still have to wait. The only ones that don't are kids who are terminally ill (and I don't think they should have to wait at all). I think people mistake waiting in alternate areas with not waiting at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter