Baby Bunnies in my backyard.

Seriously though, a big outdoor Tom cat can take out some rabbits too. At least in our neighborhood I think that is mostly what kills the ones that die. I don't think it is coyotes that leave bunny parts lying around -- nothing left when they get them. Cats tend to play with their food. Blood meal is supposed to deter them from the garden, but I have found NOTHING that will get them out of the garden if they break in (chicken wire keeps them out) Another thing I was doing to keep them out of the garden is hanging 3 or 4 disposable aluminum pie plates from string on a post in the garden so that when the wind blows they kind of bang together and make a reflection at the same time. That seemed to scare them a lot more than a fake owl. I had a few of those posts set up one year and also forks (plastic) tine side up all through the garden worked to keep both cats and bunnies out of the garden somewhat (don't know how you'd do that for a yard...you can't exactly have a yard full of plastic forks!)

Blood meal will keep bunnies from hanging out and grazing, and it's fertilizer so it's good for your plants, but if you get a lot of wind, or it rains, you have to re-sprinkle.

We got a baby bunny who fell in our window well a couple of years ago. He was just looking in the window waiting for someone to come get him out when we walked in the room. My DH grabbed his gloves, and grabbed the bunny to let him go outside of the window well. Darn thing didn't want to run away, we didn't feed it, or give it any water or anything, it just hung out for awhile and would let DH pick it back up again and sit in his hands. Eventually, it ran off, but for awhile there we really thought we were going to need to get a rabbit cage because a new pet had adopted us!

Blood meal will keep bunnies from hanging out and grazing, and it's fertilizer so it's good for your plants, but if you get a lot of wind, or it rains, you have to re-sprinkle.

We got a baby bunny who fell in our window well a couple of years ago. He was just looking in the window waiting for someone to come get him out when we walked in the room. My DH grabbed his gloves, and grabbed the bunny to let him go outside of the window well. Darn thing didn't want to run away, we didn't feed it, or give it any water or anything, it just hung out for awhile and would let DH pick it back up again and sit in his hands. Eventually, it ran off, but for awhile there we really thought we were going to need to get a rabbit cage because a new pet had adopted us!

I might have to try the blood meal. I think the snakes mentioned would be worse than bunnies. At least the bunnies are cute! I'm hoping that they will just learn to stay out of the backyard due to a dog being there.

Yesterday there was no activity, that we witnessed near the nest. So much so, that I thought perhaps that the bunnies were moved. However, I had my grandson check the site, and the babies were indeed still there. They were hidden pretty well.

This morning the mother is back, and according to my husband, he has been watching her for hours. We can see the nest, and the momma from our first floor back porch window, so we have a front row seat. I just got a glimpse of one of the babies, and it looked like momma was grooming her offspring.

By the time they leave my grass will be out of control.

We get baby bunnies in our yard every year. We don't do anything except mow around the hole that they've dug as their nest.
One time I ran over a baby bunny with the lawn mower. :scared: I was traumatized. I didn't realize there was a bunny hole there.
My black lab never even notices them, so weird.

Right now, I am waiting to mow. I will probably regret that decision in a week, but my husband and I are just enjoying watching the rabbit parents visiting our yard, and visiting their babies. The grass can wait for now.

It must not be hard for cats to catch rabbits. I have an adult cat that is on the small side and she has caught at least four rabbits. I make her let them go when I am around. The craziest thing was watching her carry a rabbit almost her size with another rabbit chasing both of them.

I have watched our dog chase rabbits but the dog could not keep up. I think cats catch more because they lie in wait and catch them coming out of their nest.

These bunnies are just a few days old. If we get the chance to photograph them, we definitely will. Right now, they are just black, and really tiny. I am looking forward to actually being able to count how many will be crawling/hopping out of that nest.

My grandson checked on the bunnies last night, and he counted seven. They are still nestled together, but we have not, by chance seen the mom. Doesn't mean she hasn't been there, we just haven't seen her. My grandson said they are starting to get hair. My husband is worried about the rain that we are expecting tonite, so he made a tent over the area where the bunnies are. While he was doing that, he said that the ground was definitely moving.

We have bunnies living under my shed. I was gonna fill the hole but they have babies too. we live in a very rural beach area with lots of coyotes so under my shed is now referred to as Sanctuary.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would make a yard less welcoming to bunnies? Our neighborhood has tons of bunnies and there is often an active nest in our yard. They don't bother me but we do have a hound dog that loves to hunt. She got into a nest once and brought a baby inside...I about freaked!! Now I have to check her mouth before she comes back in. But, I would just like it if there was a plant or something that might detour them from nesting in our backyard, they can have free reign to the front yard...the dogs never there. I just want them to nest in peace.

Concrete

The bunnies have been running around in the yard since Sunday. However, since the grass is so high, I won't ever be able to get any pics. My husband thought they left today, after he checked the nest tonite, but my grandson saw the mommy/parent. I did try to mow on Sunday, but as soon as I turned on the weedwacker, the bunnies started hopping all around. I certainly don't want shredded bunny babies.

We mowed the backyard today. It appears the baby bunnies are gone. We saw mom the other evening, but no sign of the little ones. My husband scouted the yard, while I pushed the mulching mower. No bunnies. So wish I could have got some pics.

I think one of our baby bunnies visited the backyard today. It was in the back of our yard, near the garage, where all the weeds are mostly growing. I think that's why the rabbits like our yard. There's lots of their favorite plants to nibble on. This bunny today, was not that big, and by the date on my thread, I guess it could have been an almost month old bunny. It was hopping around, and also rolling around in the soil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter