Baby "leash"!?!?

Angelsandrainbows

Earning My Ears
We are going on our family Disney vacation in Dec and our youngest and most energetic will be only 2yrs old. Has anyone seen children on those baby harnesses in the parks. I said I would never use one but the baby always wants to walk and will for sure get lost w/o one.

We are going in September with my son and 2-year-old grandson. You bethcha we are going to use one. I am not sure where they bought it but it has a monkey and attaches to his back so it looks more like a backpack than a "leash." In those kinds of crowds, it is just safer for him and will allow him to run some but not get lost. I wouldnt do without it! My son has already done a test drive at a local park! LOL

We used one when my son was 2.5. Just be sure to be aware of where the leash is hanging at all times and not let it become a tripping hazard for others around you. I personally wouldn't use it if the child is pulling madly in front of you with the leash fully extended. It would not pleasant for you or others around you. We used it so our son didn't have to have his little arm constantly being held up and could just walk safely beside us, or when you are in a store where it is easy for a child to wander off if you look away for a split second.

Absolultely get one and bring it along.

Some people will disapprove...probably ones who have never had to chase after a toddler.

But at the end of the day, their opinions don't count. What counts is the safety of your child. So teach him how to use it-- how he needs to walk close by but doesn't have to hold your hand. And don't ever take your eyes off him or that harness. But he'll enjoy his new freedom, and his arm won't be sore from continually reaching up to hold your hand.

You do whatever you need to in order to keep your child safe. My eldest was a runner and he did start his first Disney trip at barely 3 attached to the harness as a result. However, he didn't like it. So, we told him he wouldn't have to wear it IF he stayed with us. I still brought it into the parks every day - and showed him that we had it. So, it was used indirectly most of the time. (I did use it while at a crowded airport however when I travelled without my husband).

It is important to do what you need to do to keep your child safe and your vacation happy for everyone. I am not a fan of them but I would much rather a parent choose to use one than risk loosing a child. I would never judge a parent for making that choice. I would make these suggestions:
-Use it as a added means of protection. Insist that you child lean to walk beside you and hold your hand, but have the lease on just in case of a "break-loose".
-Keep the lease very short. I have seen some visitors trip over peoples lease and seen kids trip over their own lease. One was hurt pretty badly.
-NO RUNNING.
-During REALLY crowded times, don't try to let your child walk, even with a lease. Strap them in the stroller or carry them.
-Ignore any negative comments you get, especially from childless couples:)

We've used them to save little shoulders and their safety. My 3year old is fearless and a runner you bet we are taking one and we have a wearable gps for him too.

Yep, used one for my 2 year old in December. Will be taking it with us in September. She loved it! Made the airport a breeze.

My DS is 6 and my DD is 4. I am not ashamed to admit that they are wanderers. While I hate that they do it, at least I know and will do my very best to prevent them from getting separated from us.

While many will say that they are too old for it, leash wise,
I bought the ones that go from wrist to wrist (can also go from wrist to stroller or whatever you can attach it to)

I also wrote my cell number on the inside of their little bags so if they get scared and can't remember my number, they will have it written on them.

(and just fyi in case anyone wonders why I didn't train them better, we adopted them out of foster care recently.... have a TON of training to do, they had very unstable lives before us.)

Love the "leash". Helped to keep DS safe. He was a walker or I wore him. He hated the stroller.

I would say get it.

I think Walmart/Target have them

My niece was almost two on one of our Disney trips. A "leash" was brought but ended up not using it much. IMO, you do what you have to do to keep them safe. It can be used properly (don't be the parent dragging your kid by a leash). I wouldn't even consider what others thought - not their kid, not their problem or responsibility.

While we have never used one I wished we did on our last trip to WDW. We ended up in the emergency room twice with our DD because of nurses maid elbow. I say use it!

We used the monkey leash with my DS when he was 2. It was a LIFESAVER. He hated being in the stroller most of the time, and he loved walking with it. In fact, he loved it so much he would just wear it around the house for fun after our trip! Like everyone else has said, don't listen to naysayers. It's totally worth it to invest the 10 bucks for your sanity and peace of mind.

We are just back from WDW with our 2 year old and we used this:

Hold-On Handles

It really worked out quite well for us. When DS wanted to walk, he had the option of holding one of our hands or the handle, which we hooked onto the stroller. I wasn't sure if it would work, but for whatever reason he LOVED holding onto the handle! Obviously this depends on the child and may not work for everyone, but I wanted to throw it out there as another option.

If you have a 'headstrong' little one see if you can try one somewhere else first. We didn't use it at Disney but did at a local zoo. My youngest is very stubborn. I thought a cute little monkey backpack with a 'leash' would work perfect. Nope, he pulls against it and falls to the ground throwing a fit. Creates a huge scene, I'd rather strap him into a stroller and have him throw a sit strapped in while I keep walking ;)

We are going on our family Disney vacation in Dec and our youngest and most energetic will be only 2yrs old. Has anyone seen children on those baby harnesses in the parks. I said I would never use one but the baby always wants to walk and will for sure get lost w/o one.

I never needed one for my three - they would have rather sat in the stroller anyway as toddlers and never minded walking near us without holding hands (I think the 14 year old would still climb into a stroller and let me push him around if we offered LOL). But we just had our 8 year old nephew for the weekend, and I tell you, if he were my son, I would be terrified to be in WDW with him without something that tethers him to me! :rotfl2: That kid was a doll, but holy cow...not only was *I* exhausted keeping up with him, poor DS8 was tired out, too, and DS8 is the type of kid who finds ways to play football against himself in the living room all afternoon just to have something to do, and we are all a fairly active family!

DD10 and DS8 often ride their bikes to the little neighborhood park 2 blocks away, but when they asked if they could take Cousin, my first thought was that there was NO way I was letting that kid out of my sight LOL. I can totally see why people would need to use something to make sure their child stays close by. How exhausting!!!

(and I was kidding about the 14 year old...and by kidding, I mean that he really would *want* to do it, but would never *really* do it...):rotfl:
Good luck!!

I used a harness with my son last May, he was 20 months old, extremely energetic and a runner. He was also a little Houdini that managed to get the stroller straps undone and nearly crawled out a couple of times. I'm very glad we had the harness with us. We used it the most the first couple of days. After that he would stay in his stroller better and would stick close to us if he was walking. That trip was the first time we truly wore him out, he fell asleep in the stroller a few times and slept through POTC and the boat ride in Mexico at Epcot.

My DS is 6 and my DD is 4. I am not ashamed to admit that they are wanderers. While I hate that they do it, at least I know and will do my very best to prevent them from getting separated from us. While many will say that they are too old for it, leash wise, I bought the ones that go from wrist to wrist (can also go from wrist to stroller or whatever you can attach it to) I also wrote my cell number on the inside of their little bags so if they get scared and can't remember my number, they will have it written on them. (and just fyi in case anyone wonders why I didn't train them better, we adopted them out of foster care recently.... have a TON of training to do, they had very unstable lives before us.)

I too used leash - in this case "monkey" for my DS (adopted international)- he actually loved monkey but we did put snacks in it so he didn't feel like it was so much of a leash
I would suggest a different animal as a lot of older people asked him about "the monkey on your back ha ha!" And he did not like that.

My 4 year old will be wearing one, he's got asd, and runner. I've gotten then "I would never leash my child like a dog" comments, just out and about, but i'd rather have a kid thats safe. :)
My 2 year old probably will wear one too, he usually good at staying with me, but he actually enjoys wearing his monkey around the house :confused3 (I believe we got the monkey from Target, and the tail can be put inside the backpack pocket to just wear around, like my son does.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter