• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

babysitting conflict. am i being unreasonable?

My heart breaks for this poor hungry baby and angry that she may be suffering for no reason. The suckling is a sure sign shes hungry.

My guess is she is not on any schedule because she is constantantly hungry. Its hard to get in a feeding routine if she is not full after a feeding. Hard to nap if they are still hungry.

Is she having you track diapers to make sure the baby is eating enough? This is a great way to ensure baby is getting enough food vs limiting feedings to avoid spit up.

Wow- seeing all of the OPs words really makes the situation more clear. It's quite obvious now that this is a feeding issue, and the OP is clueless about how to handle it.

Completely agree that this argumentative thread should end...and that the OP should not be caring for a newborn. Not due to a lack of vision, but due to a lack of common sense.
I totally agree.

The OP claims that she has watched many babies and certainly acts well versed. But to know that a baby is hungry is pretty basic. And to allow the child to go hungry? Because you aren't sure how much to give? THAT is beyond words.

You agreed to babysit as a favor. If the baby is too fussy then tell them that you aren't up for it after all.

You think a pacifier would help but parents are unwilling. They think swinging the car seat around is a solution but you do not.

No one is being unreasonable. It's just a situation that doesn't work.

At this point in my life, I wouldn't be up for spending my days with a fussy baby so don't blame you for not wanting to.

Am I the only one now worried about the welfare of this little baby? Hungry enough to be suckling and no food to be given? OP - I hope you can seriously let this mom know that her baby is hungry during the day and she needs to make sure its getting more milk than currently provided. The poor little thing!

Am I the only one now worried about the welfare of this little baby? Hungry enough to be suckling and no food to be given? OP - I hope you can seriously let this mom know that her baby is hungry during the day and she needs to make sure its getting more milk than currently provided. The poor little thing!
My mom is providing more milk . The babysitter is simply not giving it.

In fact , half of what she was given to use was left over.

My mom is providing more milk . The babysitter is simply not giving it.

In fact , half of what she was given to use was left over.

And this is what makes no sense at all. OP if you have the food, then feed the baby all he wants. if you run out during the day, call the Mom and ask her to bring more or bring the baby to Mom to be fed. It seems that this problem is actually pretty easy to solve.

honestly i don't think we need to worry about the welfare of the baby because she just went to the ped and they said she's perfect.
i think what i'm realizing the problem now is is that the mother is not realizing how much she actually eats from the breast in comparison to bottles.
she seems shocked if we tell her she ate more than what she expected we'd feed her.

i really am disappointed with anyone that seems to think i have no common sense.
i truly believe that if you were in my shoes you would not be so quick to judge.
when the mother does not give enough details aobut how much the baby should drink its hard to know yourself.
btw you don't mention that my sister who is a mother herself has no common sense. only me even though we are watching the baby together other than yesterday.

i fed her almost 5oz yesterday in about 2.5hrs because i felt that she needed more food.
turns out after i gave her more she was happy as a clam for a while.

she is regularly wetting and pooping so i don't think its an issue.

but geez i'm visually impaired so how can i even function with a baby?
that really gets me going.
there are plenty of totally blind people that have babies.

anyways... next time we watch her i will give her more milk and see what happens.
i will also never mention a paci again (only did that one time to begin with).

so now that i've out right said i will feed more and never mention a paci i think we can wrap this thread up because things have become so very intense not just between me and others but between everyone and thats not what the DIS is about.

I think we need to slow our horses a little and remember the OP has watched this baby 4 times so far. That's it. She sounds like she'll keep watching her for 2 times a week for some period of time the remainder of the summer. The baby is coming up on its 2 month well visit and I haven't gotten the impression that this is a malnutrition situation where we need to be alarmed for the baby's welfare.

The OP just needs to figure out how to feed the baby and the mom has provided double the amount needed.

I think we need to slow our horses a little and remember the OP has watched this baby 4 times so far. That's it. She sounds like she'll keep watching her for 2 times a week for some period of time the remainder of the summer. The baby is coming up on its 2 month well visit and I haven't gotten the impression that this is a malnutrition situation where we need to be alarmed for the baby's welfare.

The OP just needs to figure out how to feed the baby and the mom has provided double the amount needed.
Back reading, I don't think it's that easy peasy. But, I hope the sitting days go well. What really matters is that baby is well cared for, happy, and thriving.

From the original post:

she's now planning on having someone else watch her since i said no paci is a deal breaker.
i get the feeling she has not told that person about not using a paci.

I confused, did Mom arrange for other childcare, or are you still watching the baby??

From the original post:

I confused, did Mom arrange for other childcare, or are you still watching the baby??

this is also from my original post and i believe it answers your question.
so she asked my sister if we could watch her a couple times a week for the duration of the summer and then also wanted to know if i would watch her a couple times per week after that.
we agreed to watch her for the summer

I'm glad the baby is doing well and happier when fed more. It's hard to gauge a BF baby sometimes and know how much they really are drinking.

OP - I had no idea you have a vision issue. Not sure how that impacts the discussion? Did I miss that in a previous post?

I'm glad the baby is doing well and happier when fed more. It's hard to gauge a BF baby sometimes and know how much they really are drinking.

OP - I had no idea you have a vision issue. Not sure how that impacts the discussion? Did I miss that in a previous post?

oh another poster decided to mention my visual impairment and then went on to say they would not want someone with a visual impairment to watch their child.
personally i didn't think being visually impaired had anything to do with a paci/food.

this is also from my original post and i believe it answers your question.
so she asked my sister if we could watch her a couple times a week for the duration of the summer and then also wanted to know if i would watch her a couple times per week after that.
we agreed to watch her for the summer

My apologies. I thought that was before paci-gate, and assumed the new arrangement was to take the place of what you had previously agreed to

honestly i don't think we need to worry about the welfare of the baby because she just went to the ped and they said she's perfect.
i think what i'm realizing the problem now is is that the mother is not realizing how much she actually eats from the breast in comparison to bottles.
she seems shocked if we tell her she ate more than what she expected we'd feed her.

i really am disappointed with anyone that seems to think i have no common sense.
i truly believe that if you were in my shoes you would not be so quick to judge.
when the mother does not give enough details aobut how much the baby should drink its hard to know yourself.
btw you don't mention that my sister who is a mother herself has no common sense. only me even though we are watching the baby together other than yesterday.

i fed her almost 5oz yesterday in about 2.5hrs because i felt that she needed more food.
turns out after i gave her more she was happy as a clam for a while.

she is regularly wetting and pooping so i don't think its an issue.

but geez i'm visually impaired so how can i even function with a baby?
that really gets me going.
there are plenty of totally blind people that have babies.

anyways... next time we watch her i will give her more milk and see what happens.
i will also never mention a paci again (only did that one time to begin with).

so now that i've out right said i will feed more and never mention a paci i think we can wrap this thread up because things have become so very intense not just between me and others but between everyone and thats not what the DIS is about.

I'm glad more food seems to be working, at least for now. I agree that a new breastfeeding mom probably does not know how much her baby is actually eating. I never pumped or fed formula and can honestly say I could not tell you in oz. how much my kids were eating on average. Plus being s new Mom just makes it harder.

Good luck with your remaining baby-sitting days.

Please point out where MariMama said that she did not want anyone that is visually impaired watching her children? Her original comment is quoted below and she simply does not say that.

Please stop playing the role of outraged victim over a comment that she didn't make.

you missed this.

ridiculous. there was no need to bring my impairment into a converstation about pacis/food.

No, I wouldn't want someone who claims to have disabling vision problems taking care of my child alone. My two children were taken care of just fine, no worries. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter