Back from AKL concierge (problems)

LizL

Mouseketeer
Just returned from a week at AKL concierge. We had a wonderful time. The lounge was a great convenience and the staff was friendly. We had only one major problem and while it was fixed to the best of their ability, it should never have happened and the fix did not get us what we wanted. But things happen and we certainly did not let it ruin our trip. We did receive a honeymoon cake and a heart shaped box with a gift during our stay. We enjoyed the food offerings and the cappucino machine was great! The sunrise safari was worth every penny!
Stayed in a 6th floor room, not by choice. The view was ok, but definitely obstructed by the roof. We had requested a king bed or medical reasons (DH's sleep positioners take a lot of room and we have to sleep in sep beds unless we have a king - not good for a belated honeymoon) on the 5th floor. We also needed the daybed because he sometimes needs to sit propped up on the sofa. I had talked with the staff about DH's condition and they knew about his needs. I checked with the staff several times in the past several weeks, and was assured it was taken care of and that I did not need to fax in the request separately. Before anyone gets upset with me, this was a particular problem for us due to health reasons, and I realize that the problem would not have been such a big deal to most people. I know king rooms are not guaranteed, but I had a good reason for requesting one. Most people on their honeymoon or other couples can survive in a queen bed. We cannot. Apparently, the front desk assigned the rooms and did not pay attention to the request. (After some digging it seems that we were assigned to a king room on the 5th floor to begin with, then changed to another room and then changed yet again to another 5th floor room - all before we arrived, because others had checked in earlier and requested to be moved) This room turned out to have 2 queens. We called the lounge immediately and were told that there were no kings left on the 5th floor, but that there was one on the 6th floor I could look at. It had only an ok view because of the roof, but we needed the king bed and the daybed, so we took it. They offered to try to find us something on the 5th floor later in the week but with an attitude that it was going to be a lot of trouble for them, and it is too hard to move everything for DH, so we told them not to bother. Never received an apology, just a statement that the front desk did not pay attention to the request. I was also told later that the last 5th floor king room had been given to someone at 3:30. When we checked in at 12 I was told that I could not be given the room number, but was given my keys and the desk had my room number - why not tell me then that my request had not been met, so that we could start trying to fix it. Instead they waited until we had returned from the park at 6 to discover the problem. Based on all of my conversations with the staff ahead of time, I was under the impression that they would make sure we had a king room. Next time, I will fax my request anyway. Actually, there will not be a next time because we loved WDW world so much we purchased DVC membership!

So nice to hear that you didn't let it ruin or color your trip in a negative way.
I am a firm believer that each "event" is emotionless; we choose to give it a positive or negative emotion.

thanks for seeing it through and coming out on the positive side !
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Sorry to hear about your problem. You definately do have a very positive attitude.

Do you mean that all of the King bedrooms were taken in the entire resort? Just so you know, concierge could have put you on any floor in the resort and still coded your keys for access to the concierge lounge. I'm not sure if you knew this or not.

FYI-The DVC 1br's all have a king bed in the bedroom so you will be sure to get a king if you book a 1br. I'm sure you know this from the info you have but I thought it was worth pointing out. This looks like it will work out nicely for you.

Now that I am feeling guilty for getting a king bed at the AKL....

DH and I were there 2-7 to 2-11 for our anniversary. We got the king room on the 2nd floor at check-in. The bellhop told us he was really surprised that we got the king bed on our first night there...seems that is unheard of.

From what I could tell, people are often moved during their stay to get them into a king room for part of their trip if they requested a king bed. There has got to be a better way to do this. I imagine it is frustrating for the staff to try to figure out how to move everyone around. There is certainly more demand than supply. Apparently there are only 55 king rooms in the hotel. Every king room was taken when we finally got to our room at 6. Perhaps they should consider redoing some of the rooms to be kings. I know it would cost, but it would keep more guests from being unhappy.
Pooh Girl - I hope your room was wonderful. Don't feel guilty for a minute! AKL clearly needs to come up with a better system to assigning the few king rooms that they have.

Hi LizL - I'm a LizL too.

I'm floored that they only have 55 king rooms in the entire resort. That's incredible. They should definitely redo some rooms. I would imagine that a lot of couples wouldn't want 2 queen beds.

Good to hear that your experience didn't ruin your trip or your feelings of the AKL.

We're going in May and can't wait.

I am surprised concierge dropped the ball on that one especially a request made for medical reasons.

Glad to hear the rest of your trip was great.

You might want to drop management a note to let them know about your experience it could help someone else who has a request for medical reasons.

You have many more magical trips to come with your new DVC purchase!!

I was thinking of surprising the DW on our 20th Anniversary with a stay at AKL but if kings are that hard to get I guess I will rethink which resort to book.

Originally posted by Memph1s
I was thinking of surprising the DW on our 20th Anniversary with a stay at AKL but if kings are that hard to get I guess I will rethink which resort to book.

There aren't that many kings in any of the resorts. Very few of them can be guaranteed. We've requested kings every time we stayed at a deluxe (over two dozen times!) and have yet to get one. If you rent points from a DVC'er you could stay in a 1BR and that will guarantee a king.

Anne

I'm sorry to hear about your experience! I would think they could somehow "lock" medical requests to prevent them from being given to other guests.

I'm not surprised about the number of king beds. It must be difficult to balance the needs of families with those of couples.

Glad you had a nice trip and congrats on your DVC membership.

How was the behavior of other guests in the lounge? - did you notice anyone hording food or any children licking desserts and putting them back?

Anyone in bare feet or curlers show up for breakfast?

You missed a dilly of a thread while you were away..

>>^..^<<

Went back and read that thread - well part of it. Didn't see anyone in curlers, but we did not actually spend any time in the lounge. There was no easy place to put DH's wheelchair, so we took our food to our room. No matter what time I went out during breakfast hours, there was plenty of food. We were at the hotel 4 nights during the appetizer time. On Monday night, we returned about 5:30 (starts at 5) and two of the three hot foods were gone (not counting chicken nuggets). I did see several families who were obviously making a meal of the snacks. But every other night, there were hot items at 7 when they cleaned up. The desserts (other than cookies) went within the first half hour from what I could tell. I did manage to snag a zebra dome for each of us one night, but that was also the night we were dining at Boma, so we were going to experience them there anyway. The rest of the time we had only cookies. Milk went quickly as parents were taking several cartons during the day for their children. So sometimes that meant no milk to go with the cookies. I did notice children trying to pick up food with their hands, but the parents quickly instructed them on how to use the tongs.
We were at the resort on one of the slowest weeks, so this may have something to do with the availability of food.

As for our room, I forgot to mention that we noticed the bed really sunk in in the middle. Discovered why on the last day - teh support under the bed was broken! Probably the reason the room was still available.

Even with the frustration of your room...you seem to have continued with a great attitude.....

I'm a DVCer also...so a big Welcome Home.....

Sorry to hear about your problem at the AKL.

It is odd since the King Bed rooms at the Disney Resorts are suppossed to be the handicapped accessable rooms and that is why they do not have many of them. It is my understanding that they built what was required under the ADA. So if they knew that your husband is disabled they should have had the medical conditon noted and guarenteed the handicapped room and not moved you out of it.

My husband has very bad asthma and we put in a medical request for a non-smoking room on every trip and they guarentee it on our reservation without any issues.

I am very sad that they knew of your husbands situation and did not guarentee the room. I am glad you had a good trip despite the room mess up.

Wow, I had a king bed at the All-Stars in January without even requesting it! I wonder what poor handicapped family who begged for a king bed had to put up with two doubles just because I was assigned a king bed first :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your room, but glad that you had a good time otherwise.

Welcome Home!!! Yes, as a DVC member since 1991, I can assure you you will love the King Bed in the 1 bedroom!!

ENJOY!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter