• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from Alaska 7/13-20 sailing, any questions?

Was it awesome? I think I know the answer already but never get tired of hearing it anyway :earboy2:

What was your favorite thing you did on the cruise while on board, with and/or without your kid(s)?
=) Hope it was a wonderful time!
-Luny

Who were the entertainers on board? We will be on the Wonder in 12 days!

How was the weather too?

We don't plan to do any excursions (whale watching ones) so any chance we will see any whales from the ships?

Was there a bar server named Bert/Burt on the Wonder?
He usually walked around the adult pool to serve.
Just trying to see what ship he is on!

Tell us about your embarkation day....
  • which hotel did you stay at?
  • how did your luggage get down to the ship?
  • what time did you arrive at the cruise terminal? When did you set foot on the ship? I'm sure everyone arriving at different times will have different delay times.
Post cruise...
  • did you take a cab? How long was the wait?
  • What time did you walk off the ship?

If you get a chance to post your navigators, we'd love to see them! Hope you had a great trip!

We don't plan to do any excursions (whale watching ones) so any chance we will see any whales from the ships?

i don't want to steal OP's thunder, but want to report that on our july 6-13, 2015 sailing we saw a humpback at starboard on day 2 afternoon (see picture from my trip report), plus a pod of orcas on day 3 while DH and i were having brunch at palo. all the diners as well as the servers rushed to the aft windows to get a better view. even our server sasha commented that he hasn't seen so many orcas all at once. for once i didn't take a picture because i just wanted to remember the scene in my head. it was a truly amazing sight.

Did you spend any time pre or post cruise in Vancouver?

We are planning on spending a few day exploring at both ends of the trip and WONDERING what sites are must see's

This was THE MOST amazing trip of our lives. Alaska was so much more beautiful than I imagined!

Our captain was Fabian and cruise director Peter. But that is coming from the memory of my 6 year old, lol.

Our favorite thing we did on board was get hot chocolate and relax in the port hole windows of Route 66 as a family. We spotted MULTPILE humpbacks and orca whales from that spot. But multiple cast told us it wasn't that often that guests see as many as we did. So I wouldn't bank on it. Howver, the first at sea day and Tracy arm morning seem like your best bet. We did the most amazing whale watching tour with adventures in Alaska with captain Alan in Juneau. I would HIGHLY recommend them.

We also really enjoyed the movie theatre on board. And my husband and I enjoyed our outlook cafe coffee dates together.

As far as entertainers, we had a hilarious comedian named Marcus Monroe and that's all I can speak of, we didn't go to the other enterainer's shows, we opted for movies instead.

I didn't use the bar service so I am not sure about Bert, I'm sorry!

We stayed two days prior and one day post in Vancouver at the pan pacific. They took our luggage to and from the ship. Such a perk of staying there! Made life so much easier.

We ate a restaurant within walking dustance to the pan pacific called Rogue and it was awesome. Bella Gelato is a must and flyover Canada was my daughter's favorite thing! We also had a great time at the suspension bridge and enjoyed the free shuttle to and from.

Our PAT was 11 and I'm pretty sure we were on the ship by 11:45. Although I wasn't looking at the time so that's just my guesstimate. :) went straight to the port adventure desk for our meet and greet tickets and got all meet and greets for the first at sea day.

Also, disembarkation...we had green tinker bell which was the third group called off after express walk off. We were off the ship by 9.

I didn't bring my navigators home, but I do remember A LOT of the activities offered and my daughter attended a ton of the kids club activities so if you have any specific questions, ask away. :)

Reading a trip report where it sounded like Capilano was a mad house. Was that your experience as well? DH and kids are iffy on the height and if it's crazy crowded it might not be the best use of our time. If it's not crowded and they can take their time/enjoy the scenery it might work!

It was pretty crowded, a lot of people who were not remembering common courtesy. Very touristy. A great experience though if you can handle that sort of thing. The actual suspension bridge was crowded but the other sites (the cliff walk for example) were pretty stress free and breathtaking.

Our first day in Vancouver was rainy, the second and last day was hot, in the 70s.

Alaska was great weather, we got a lot of rain in Juneau but we were prepared for that and didn't let it put a damper on our day. We were wet, but happy!

We took a helicopter to a glacier in Skagway and we were happy to have our big winter coats, we also wore them on Tracy arm day when we were near the glacier. But we are from California so we aren't used to super cold weather. I was actually surprised by how warm it was other than those two times.

It was pretty crowded, a lot of people who were not remembering common courtesy. Very touristy. A great experience though if you can handle that sort of thing. The actual suspension bridge was crowded but the other sites (the cliff walk for example) were pretty stress free and breathtaking.
Thank you for the info. I'll need to keep that in mind.

We are on the Wonder next Monday. Thanks for offering to answer questions.

What was the temperature on board the ship? Was it cool in the dining rooms and theatres? How was your stateroom at night?

I'm prepared for the rainy cool weather outside but not sure if we need light sweaters or something warmer when inside the ship. Do I need to pack warm pjs for the kids?

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter