Back from Galapagos!

beachbunny

DIS Veteran
We had a great time! I'm soooo tired. Before I rest, I'd like to thank Chris (yes, the same Chris who does Quest for the West), Eduardo, and the ghost for their hard work. We'll definitely be doing Quest with Chris...

We saw blue footed ****ies (you know what I'm talking about - the DIS edited this out) and frigate birds nesting, Galapagos tortoise, and swam with green sea turtles, sea lions, and penguins. We saw the snow capped peaks of the tallest mountains in Ecuador from the ground and from the air.

I'll write a trip report later, but if you're departing soon, here are some tips:
You are dressing for two different climates - the highlands and the ocean. The interior of Ecuador is quite cool - bring a heavier fleece for the evenings. Shorts are perfect for the ocean - even at meal time. You'll need one pair of long pants in Galapagos for the tortoise visit. ABD will give you duffels so you can leave your cold weather clothes behind in Quito.

Bring a bar of soap and a wash cloth - you'll thank me.

You don't need both an umbrella and a light rain jacket - it didn't even rain while we were there.

We only used our mosquito repellant twice - at Peguche Falls (didn't really need it) and at the Tortoise place (for fire ants but didn't need it).

Bring lots of sun screen!

Pace yourself in Galapagos. There is so much to do - usually two visits and a swim every day. We skipped the final deep water swim because it looked rough and we weren't interested in swimming with '"only" fish and sharks - we had already swam with sea lions, etc. We were kinda glad we didn't because there were a bunch of jelly fish and one child got stung.

We brought our own snorkel/mask and used it (I didn't want to share spit with strangers) - we used the wet suits and fins provided - ABD pays for all gear rental.

I brought way too much cash. In addition to the ABD guide tips, I used less than $500 and I am a big time shopper. Only two real places to shop, Otavalo Market and the last stop in Galapagos.

At Otavalo Market, bargain, bargain, bargain - I only spent around $75 but got a bunch of woven table runners, lots of alpaca scarves, hand painted wooden frames, and more - only bring small bills for Otavalo Market.

At the last stop in Galapagos, t-shirts are $11 a piece. Also, have a tree tomato smoothie or glass of fresh squeezed orange juice at Casa Blanca.

If you want to purchase Ecuadorian chocolate which is absolutely fabulous, wait until you hit the duty free stores at the airport. They sell the same stuff as the JW Marriott gift shop at half the price.

Finally, I would not have even come close to $500 had it not been for the jewelry store at the Marriott. They sell jewelry by the same artist as on the ship but with a bigger selection. I got a pair of Blue Footed ****ie (same word as above - edited by the DIS) earrings in sterling silver with turquoise inlay for $40 and a 18K gold blue footed ****ie charm for $160.

Repeat after me, "LAAVA LEEZARDS!"

Let me know if you have any question.

How was the food?

Did you have any kids with you?
:)

We don't have children but there were 6 "kids" on the tour ranging from age 7 to about 19 (just completed freshman year in college). All were girls. The youngest was 7 and she may have been a little too young for Galapagos only because the flora and fauna didn't hold her interest after the first long day of hiking. The older ones looked like they were really enjoying themselves.

The food was delicious - mostly stuff you'd see at a nice buffet with some Ecuadorian specialties like plantains and cervice. For example, on the last night of the cruise, there was a choice of lobster, duck, or steak as the entree. The dessert chef on the ship deserves props - he even baked a special cake for our last dinner! There was a ton of exotic fruit like tree tomato, papaya, and many others.

I am about 99% certain that the Galapagos trip is going to be our choice for 2010 if it is offered, and I'll be booking soon after the itineraries are released. I would like to know if the altitude in Quito had any adverse affects on you or any of your fellow travelers. I'm wondering if I should book a pre day just to get used to the altitude difference.

Yes, the altitude affected a few of us, but for no more than a day. Drink LOTS of water, take tylenol or similar for any headache, and take pepto for any funny tummy.

Having said this, we didn't arrive a day early. We ran off the plane in Quito to get through immigration fast and got winded - that's when we realized we should take it easy. After that, we didn't feel anything until the next morning when both DH and I had a slight headache and a funny tummy. By lunch we were fine. No-one missed anything because of altitude sickness. Also, we didn't feel anything when we returned to Quito prior to our departure.

I would also bring something for seasickness. Most everyone in our group had something - patch or pills. The last night, as we sailed south, was especially rough. Many ABDers went to their cabins immediately after dinner to, um, lie down.

Was this your first ABD?

Would you recommend it to others?

Thanks
:)

This was our first ABD and we were skeptical because we are not "tour" people. We generally don't like being told that we have to be somewhere at a specific time and following along. But having done it, we're sold. Disney does EVERYTHING for you. And you get to do many things that you just can't arrange on your own. I think we could have visited the Galapagos islands on our own by booking a berth on the same ship, but we would not have been able to tour the interior of Ecuador and experienced the culture of Ecuador on our own.

Obviously others feel the same way. We had a bunch of people on our tour who had been to both Peru and Costa Rica with ABD.

Before I rest, I'd like to thank Chris (yes, the same Chris who does Quest for the West), Eduardo, and the ghost for their hard work. We'll definitely be doing Quest with Chris...
Is that shaved headed Chris? We had a Chris as our guide when I did Southwest Splendors, and he was FABULOUS! I know he's done Peru, also, so Galapagos wouldn't surprise me!

Sounds like you had a great time. Will you be posting pictures?

Sayhello

Yup. Shaved head Chris.

I've never posted pictures here, but after I upload them I'll give it a try. I've got buckets of pictures. The best ones are of us swimming with the wildlife. I would definitely invest in an underwater camera or camera case for this trip!

It is so good to hear from someone who has been on this tour and I'm very glad you had a good experience. My husband, our two teens and I are booked to leave on the 8/11/09 departure and we're going early to spend some time in parts of the country ABD doesn't explore. A few questions: (a) Was there a good selection of wet suit sizes on the ship? -our daughter needs a size 0/womens XS and gets cold easily - a lot of places don't have her size and we're thinking about bringing her suit with us. (b) Is there any opportunity for SCUBA diving, or just snorkeling? (c) We have two extra days at the end of the trip and are trying to decide between staying at the Marriott and exploring Quito a bit more, or heading up to Mindo to explore the cloudforest and do some birding. Any thoughts on that?

Another q for you: did you have any cell phone or internet access? We have Verizon - blackberry world phones. trying to decide whether to bring a laptop

Wetsuits: The ship had every possible size for kids and adults.

No scuba on this ship, just snorkeling.

Don't know about cell phone access because I wasn't about to turn mine on and incur that $7/minute charge.

There was internet access at every location, although some places charged for it. The ship charged $15 per hour. There was free wi-fi at Hacienda Cusin. The Marriott had wi-fi which you could pay for but since I didn't use it, I don't know the cost. Finally, the airport lounge in Quito (going to the Galapagos) had free wi-fi.

I really appreciate your quick replies. We are under 20 days to deparature - getting very eager!

Thanks for your trip report! I'm glad to hear you had a great time. We are thinking about this trip in the future as our younger daughter is obsessed with sea turtles and wildlife. Sounds like you had many opportunities to get up close and personal with the native animal residents!

One question--how was it on the ship where there were ABD and non-ABD travellers? Did you mingle with the other travellers? Or were the programs shared with ABD and non-ABD travellers??? Just wondering.

Turtlemom :confused3

The ship we were on is the largest one touring the Galapagos. They have a capacity of 100 passengers. For the most part, ABDers were separate from the other passengers. We had our own evening briefings to discuss the next day's excursions, we started dinner 1/2 hour prior to the other passengers, and we did the shore excursions in our own group with our own naturalist who stayed with us the entire time in Galapagos. The kid ABDers had their own movie night and the other activities on board ship (like the bridge tour and star gazing) were limited to just ABD members. If you've been on cruises before and are familiar with the daily schedule they leave in your cabin, ours was specifically made for ABD.

Sounds great! I'm glad you got your own special attention. Just a few more questions. . . . About how many were on the ABD trip? Was it full? Did you ever feel "crowded" on the ship or feel like there were too many people touring with you?

Turtlemom

There were 25 of us on our tour. It didn't feel crowded at all. When we went on our shore excursions, we split into two groups so our groups were even smaller yet.

I received this email yesterday - it's another reason to bring cash from home for the trip: Warden Message July 30, 2009

Dear Warden and/or Registrant:

The U.S. Embassy and Consulate General in Ecuador wish to inform American citizens visiting or resident in Ecuador of the continuing problem of counterfeit U.S. dollars circulating within Ecuador. We remind American citizens to check your currency carefully when leaving any banking institution or private business within Ecuador. Recently, we’ve received reports of counterfeit bills being dispensed from ATMs within Ecuador.

Before leaving the window of a banking institution, we recommend inspecting each bill for accuracy, wear and tear, and counterfeiting. If you discover a counterfeit bill while still at the banking institution’s window, inform the cashier and, normally, they will exchange the bill. However, if you depart without inspecting your currency, it will be difficult to prove that you received the bill from that particular institution.

Below are tips to spot and determine a counterfeit bill:

Portrait – The genuine portrait appears lifelike and stands out distinctly from the background. The counterfeit portrait is usually lifeless and flat.

Water Marks – In each of the new U.S. bills, there are distinctive water markings imbedded into the paper. These markings are of the same image that corresponds to the denomination on that bill. This is one of the most difficult details for a counterfeiter to re-produce.
For additional tips on detecting counterfeit bills, please visit the U.S. Treasury’s website on the subject at: ustreas.gov/usss/money_detect.shtml

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter