Back from Non-DVC timeshare....how does it compare to DVC?

danicaw

DIS Veteran
If you are wondering how DVC compared to another timeshare here is my opinion.
We just returned from the Kona Coast Resort on the Big Island of Hawaii. How we ended up there is a crazy story. But here goes… (I will try to keep it short)
We joined DVC in 99 and our first trip "Home" was last December.
My hubby's family has a great tradition of having family portraits every 5 years and last Dec. was the date for the next installment of photos. Well the last 5 years have brought 2 new family members, my brother in-law (Hubby's sisters husband J) and myself. The family decided to meet at WDW for a week and take the portraits on site, instead of meeting a in-laws house and taking it in a studio. So since we are DVC members it made the most sense to use our points for the family trip. In exchange my in-laws gave us their timeshare for use this year. So the 6 of us stayed in a GV at OKW last December (wonderful) and hubby and I spent last week in Hawaii, which we have wanted to do for a while. I think we made out really well.

So we traded with Interval International and landed at the Kona Coast Resort - Phase I (which is listed in our DVC books). I have had limited exposure to timeshares in my 25 years of life. This was to be my 4th stay in a timeshare. The first I don't remember (to young), second was with hubby's family a few years before we were married (Orlando), third was our GV last year and 1 night in 1-bed (WOW!), and this was the fourth.

The Kona Coast (KC) was great. It is a large spread-out resort set up in 2 phases. Phase one rooms are older, larger and have garages. Phase two rooms are more modern in décor, and seemed to be closer to the water. The décor in our room was tropical and only seemed dated (1980's) in the kitchen, bathroom and dinning area. We stayed in a 1 bedroom, which was a standard size room, not as big as the bedroom (in the 1 bedroom) at OKW but had lots of closet space and a easy to use safe. Our room had one bathroom with a large tub (which reminded me of the tubs in the Honeymoon suites at the WL but w/out jets). 2 sinks and lots of counter and storage space. Kitchen was standard size but dimly lit and the most dated of all the rooms. Full washer and dryer, ample dishes and utensils, dishwasher. Large dinning room and living room with TV oversized couches and again lots of storage space. Lastly was the porch. HUGE. It was as long as the dinning room & living room, but not as deep. Table that seats at least 4 and a lounge chair all on the balcony. For an addition $40 a week we used the air conditioner, you needed a key to turn it on and there are units in the living/dinning room and in the bedroom. We thought we wouldn't need it but we are from Seattle, and that only lasted about 45 minutes before we were back at the check-in desk with our credit card.
The resort has a store, restaurant (which looks over the pool and beyond to the ocean), 2 pools with hot tubs, fitness center, and lots of activities. Including into to snorkeling or scuba diving, how to tie a wrap skirt (I forgot the Hawaiian name for this), silk painting, basket weaving, Ice cream social, and lots of others. Initially it was our plan to go to a few of these but we ended up not being around for them…way too much to see on this island. All on-site activities were free to guests or small fee was listed.
We had maid service once in the middle of our trip, and additional cleanings were available for a fee.
Check in was at 4 and check out at 10, with no late check out options. We arrived early for both and are so glad, the line in that little building was out the door for check out. Ugh.
There was a small Hawaiian State tax for lodging that was applied daily to our bill, and we had free local calls (which means anything on that island). We checked out with a bill totaling $68 and some change, and $40 of that was the air conditioner (Saturday to Saturday stay). So, we were pretty pleased.
I enjoyed my stay at the Kona Coast. While I say that I must tell you I am ecstatic that we are DVC members. I can say that even though KC was really nice, OKW is better. We will (I am sure) return to the Kona Coast resort at some point (we had a wonderful time and the location was great), and we might even trade out of DVC to do it. But if anyone was doubting the quality they bought into…don't.
We are hoping to spilt our next visit to WDW between OKW and BWV (or WLV) so we can see the other sites. And I am sure we will love wherever we end up. So glad to have and timeshare and even more that it's DVC!

:bounce: :D

They made you pay for air conditioning???? Wow

Other than that is sound pretty decent. Thanks for the info, we are thinking about the DVC/II/Hawaii wxchange too

Thanks for this great update! We are right now in the process of reseraching a Hawaii exchange with a co-worker who has RCI property on Kauai. Her family wants to travel to WDW and we want to go back to Hawaii. The island of Hawaii, and Kona Coast were at the top of our list..so we really appreciate your report!

We did a DVC II exchange to Kauai in 1998. We stayed at the Cliffs Club on Kauai. Although it was a nice resort, and a very comfortable unit (1 bedroom, 2 bath), it didn't come close to comparing with OKW. We didn't have the option of purchasing air conditioning, which made for a few hot/sticky nights. We've received some excellent advise on this board from experienced time share owners about what to look for when trading DVC for other time shares. (Thanks Dean!)

Thanks again!

KCR is one of the top resorts. You were lucky you had an option with AC. Many Hawaii resorts and homes for that matter don't have AC. A number of them on the DVC list don't have AC. Heck, they don't even need a weather person in HA, they just play one tape for 9 months and the other for 3 months. One says it will rain and the other says it will rain on the windward side and in the mountains.

Just as a comparision, KCR is one of the top rated resorts by TUG at 9.16 where OKW is rated 9.62, BW 9.82 and VB 9.13. Cliff's Club is rated 7.38, Four Seasons Aviara (CA) is rated 9.93. Most (but not all) 5* and Gold Crown resorts are rated 8.0 or above. Just realize that there are few resorts out there that can match the quality and experience of a DVC resort and when you throw in the on property at WDW, it's just difficult to beat. There are however some excellent places out there that in some cases might even be consider a trade up for DVC considering the cost and desirability of the destination resort, the time of year of the trade, and the fact that most exchanges will cost points for Dream Season at OKW or less. Even if it's a comparable resort but your getting prime season and giving up Dream season, you're in good shape. Some I'd put in that category are the Marriott's at Grande Ocean, Ocean Pointe (Singer Island, FL), Aruba, Kauai, Maui, Newport Coast (CA), Manor Club, Desert Springs, and Spain; others would inlcude Four Seasons (CA and AZ), Royals in Cancun (especially the Royal Sands), St. James place (CO), Hyatt Sunset Harbor (Kew West) and possibly KCR. If one looked at RCI in addition, I'd certainly add a few resorts, but not many.

Regarding extra fees, they are not uncommon. Did you know that Disney charges exchangers a $95 resort services fee? Still likely the best trade most of them will pull off.

Timeshare Users Group BBS, reviews and ratings of about 2000 timeshars plus a lot of basic educational info. $15 for year one and $10 per year thereafter. Well worth if for the education. If you join, tell them I sent you.

Way back when before I discovered WDW, I actually purchased at Kona Coast Resort. I agree that it was a very nice property, however when I purchased, the buyer had a specific time during the year to use the property. I decided that I was too young, too poor and it was too restrictive. Came back to rainy Seattle and cancelled the purchase. We've have no regrets re DVC!

And to add something TOTALLY unrelated....

I love your name! That's what we named our daughter (4 yr. old now). Do a lot of people ask you to repeat it when meeting you for the first time? Like, "What did you say? Danica? That's an unusual name!" God, we get that all the time! I don't see as it's unusual or so incredibly hard to pronounce. Oh well....it's nice to know there's another DVC Danica out there!!

I understand the option to use or not to use and to pay if you do use the air conditioning. My best friend moved to Kona a few years back. She and her husband live on a few acres of land and they grow coffee, macadamia nuts and cocoa beans. They grow, harvest and manufacture the only true Hawaiian chocolate in the world. Their home is not air conditioned, and they do have a fire place. They can get buy with just ceiling fans during the middle of the day and each evening is fairly cool and comfortable.

The island is unusual in that it has ever weather climate that exists on this earth. Imagine being able to sit on the beach while looking up at snow capped mountains.

I hope you enjoyed your stay on Hawaii. I think it is very unique place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter