Back from Orlando. Random thoughts.

kevin harrison

DIS Veteran
Just back from my 7th trip in my 42 years, so not many visits really compared to many, had a great time and have got over my jetlag very quickly for once, very happy indeed.

Accommodation
- we stayed at OKW for a week and had a week in a kids suite at HRH - we are friends with a manager there, so get a substantial discount.

I really liked OKW and the 2 beds are huge, had a great week, right near hospitality house, I can see why people have bought into DVC, in different circumstances we would have looked at this also.

Hard Rock Hotel - this is the place for me, after a week of listening to endless pool games involving Disney songs, spending a day laying outside a cabana listening to a live band playing song after song and most were favourites of mine I realised this was my happiest day in years. I really could go back and spend a fortnight doing nothing there.

They had placed a birthday cake and decorations in our room for my daughters 10th birthday!

DDP - We had a free week of DDP and the food was great, eat amongst others at Cali Grill, Le Celier, Ohama, Hollywood and Vine. The food was excellent, but really don't like being tied to reservations, removed virtually all spontaneity for a week.

Low Point - At Le Celier Daniel, who some of you are aware has severe eating issues and Autism really started crying and a couple of diners looked over and started tutting at Daniel. My wife who is really placid, lost her cool and went over to the table and shouted at them. I spoke to the manager and he said nothing. Others around us were lovely, but it really spoilt the night.

Virgin - fantastic flight, the staff couldn't do enough to help us on the flight there and back, they really went the extra mile for us.

Crowds - in my opinion were very low, on the DIBB people are saying it is very busy, but I genuinely, with sensible planning found most rides a walk on.

Disney World - starting to show a little decline, I noticed litter in places that wasn't ever seen before, dirty signs a few times and rides breaking down. At Playhouse Disney we were given a certificate saying we were the first family in and honourary guests, Daniel idolises the characters and just as we are about to start the lights came on and without warning the show was cancelled. Daniel was in hysterics, it turns out the show had been cancelled 3 times the previous day. I spoke with a cast member who told me that funding in certain areas has been reduced and Playhouse Disney wasn't high on Disney's list of priorities.

Discovery Cove - After a couple of conversations with their management, Daniel was made an honorary guest for the day - was treated like a king for the day and also given free access to Aquatica, Busch Gardens and Seaworld. He doesn't eat or drink, nor swim but sat watching the dolphins all day as was so happy. Which made us happy.

All in all, loved the holiday, my kids were so happy, crying their eyes out when we left, which always makes me sad. If Daniel wasn't in such need, we would try to go yearly, but his health and our finances have to come first. This was our first family holiday in three years. I hope we don't have to wait another three years.

Sounds like you had a fab time Kevin.

We want to stay at HRH next year, so good to hear you liked it.

Sounds like you all had a great trip, though the less said about some adults behaviour in Le Cellier the better.
Glad you did not let this incident spoil the rest of your time.

We have done both HRH and RPR now and despite my initial fear that Universal would be a poor alternative for Disney would always try to plan a on-site stay at HRH/RPR as part of an Orlando trip.

Totally jealous that you have friends in high places at the Universal Hotels. Perhaps you can put in a word for us next summer :thumbsup2

Glad you had a lovely time. I can't believe it's 3 years since you went - I remember you posting about getting meds shipped out and someone at the hotel having to sign for them (or am I just dreaming?)

Sounds like both of your children love it out there :goodvibes

I have to admit we saw signs of abit of Disney wear & tear when we went in 2010. We never had any issues with litter mind

Glad you had a lovely time. I can't believe it's 3 years since you went - I remember you posting about getting meds shipped out and someone at the hotel having to sign for them (or am I just dreaming?)

Sounds like both of your children love it out there :goodvibes

Yes, we have had them shipped out, we sailed a bit close to the wind previously when customs held them up, so this time carried them with us.

Virgin to their credit allowed us to carry 56 bags of 250 mls of special milk into the cabin. We were scared if we put it into the luggage hold, it would have got lost.

My kids love it there. If they are happy, that's all that matters to me,

Sounds like you had a magical holiday. We are taking our three children (two of whom are autistic) to Orlando in August next year and staying at both OKW and HRH so good to hear your postive comments as they will both be new experiences for us (we have staying in the Contemporary but never stayed on a Universal resort). I am sorry you were the victim of such judgemental behaviour I hope it did not spoil things too much for you all. Orlando is a magical place for children and mine love going and we find that in general they are very accepting of our needs.

Sounds like you had a magical holiday. We are taking our three children (two of whom are autistic) to Orlando in August next year and staying at both OKW and HRH so good to hear your postive comments as they will both be new experiences for us (we have staying in the Contemporary but never stayed on a Universal resort). I am sorry you were the victim of such judgemental behaviour I hope it did not spoil things too much for you all. Orlando is a magical place for children and mine love going and we find that in general they are very accepting of our needs.

You will love the HRH !

We haven't encountered such behaviour too much, most people are fine, but there are always morons about. It only put a cloud over Le Celier, but I have put it down to experience.

Welcome back kevin. I am glad your wife stood up for daniel. People are so ignorant and pompas it really annoys me. Im a nurse and see these judgemental people all the time. Glad you all had a great time

Welcome back kevin. I am glad your wife stood up for daniel. People are so ignorant and pompas it really annoys me. Im a nurse and see these judgemental people all the time. Glad you all had a great time

I have learned to control myself, so many people used to stare when Daniel had his feeding tube taped to his face, that I would have been shouting at people all the time.

Sounds like a great holiday - I would like to do a similar split stay one day.:thumbsup2

As for your experience at Le Cellier, I think some people are intolerant of kids full stop! Perhaps they shouldn't visit Disney if they don't like to be surrounded by kids?:rotfl: I hope they felt bad once your DW had 'explained' the situation to them...

What a lovely report, thanks for sharing :)

I'm sorry to hear about the experience at Le Cellier, I can't understand why people would behave like that, it's not like you can ever know what's going on with someone else's children so it's unfair to judge or behave rudely. I hope you were not too shaken up by it and didn't let it bother you overly.

Reading about other people's trips makes me more impatient for mine! :goodvibes

So glad to hear that you and your family had a great trip. We are going in Dec and we find that our son who has Downs gets so much out of our Florida holiday we find that his speech improves because he is so keen to talk about the holiday, the rides and where we are going to eat etc.

I agree with you re Virgin they have always given us great service and well done for dealing with the jet lag I find the best thing is not to go to sleep when you get home and try to stay awake till 10pm. I struggle to sleep the first couple of nights when we arrive in Florida I try to stay up as late as possible but still end up waking all the time!

Disney World - starting to show a little decline, I noticed litter in places that wasn't ever seen before, dirty signs a few times and rides breaking down.

interesting....we were there in August and i noticed how clean things were...
i mentioned it to DD - how surprised i was at how clean the bathrooms were in particular, despite the massive crowds..

it was much improved from my last visit there....i wonder if they have more cleaning staff during the summer months....

thanks for the mini report
good to here you all had a great holiday

It was lovely to have met you and your family.

My jet lag has gone now - a week in work put a stop to all that!!!

My thoughts on our 9th trip are that we won't be going back again - I just wish i could recapture those first couple of trips and the excitement of seeing things for the first time. I wish my children were your childrens ages - now they just want to sunbathe and shop!!

Loved HRH (as always) - staff on the front door are just amazing and really helpful...as we arrived and got out of the limo they remembered our names!! Its little things like that which make them head and shoulders above other hotels.

Weather was a bit hit and miss - when it was hot it was beautiful but we had 27 hours of solid rain whilst we were at Disney.

V-room @ Manchester was a great way to start our holiday, flights on the new plane were great. Entertainment system made the time go really quickly.

I will still be lurking on the boards but have booked to go to Egypt next July.:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter