• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from our first family trip to DLR...our thoughts...

Born 2B a Princess

Where's my tiara?!?!
We spent three days at DLR last week (Thursday through Saturday). I haven't been there since high school and my husband hadn't been since he was a kid. Our daughters (ages 24 and 19) had never been. We've been to WDW numerous times but this was our first trip to DLR.

Hotel -- we stayed at Candy Cane Inn. The room was fine but housekeeping was not great. They showed up around 4 pm every day, which was during our afternoon hotel/pool break. The beds were made and fresh towels delivered, but that was it. Trash wasn't emptied one of the days. Shampoo, conditioner, and soap were not replenished. The front desk staff was very nice and we enjoyed the continental breakfast since we're not big breakfast eaters. The big draw for us was the close proximity to DLR -- walking to/from the parks usually took less time than the shuttle. We only used the shuttle a couple of times -- it was just as fast and easy to walk.

Downtown Disney -- the World of Disney store is under construction so it was pretty cramped/crowded. Downtown Disney was nice but definitely smaller than Disney Springs. We would have liked more entertainment and some outdoor seating throughout the area. We didn't spend much time here, but the time we did spend was fine. We really enjoyed our dinner at Tortilla Jo's -- the tableside guacamole was wonderful and my daughter who is very picky about tortillas (she lived in Honduras for 18 months and makes her own tortillas) said the tortillas were good. We also stopped in at Sprinkles -- we have missed their cupcakes since we moved out west. Yum! The Pixar-themed topiary sculptures are cute and we had fun identifying all of them.

The Disney Bubble -- we definitely felt a difference between DLR and WDW. We like that at WDW you don't really see anything until you're right there, for the most part -- for example, you can't see Cinderella's Castle until you're at Magic Kingdom -- nothing visible outside the WDW property, etc. Cars Land backed right up to our hotel and seeing the backside of it kind of put a little damper on the magic for me. Walking to the resort, having it be right in the middle of a congested downtown area, just didn't feel as magical to us as WDW feels, since we really feel isolated from real life when we're at WDW since you can't see it the moment you walk out of the parks.

Cast Members -- we had heard so much about how great the cast members are at DLR compared to WDW. Unfortunately, we had the opposite experience. We've only had one negative cast member interaction at WDW. At DLR we encountered lots of cast members who looked bored, were rude and dismissive to guests, and just generally looked/acted unhappy. There were definitely those who were cheerful and pleasant and positive, but we were disappointed by how many acted like they didn't want to be there. We were also surprised to see cast members in costume walking in different areas of the park -- example, someone from It's a Small World in costume walking in Adventureland. That was jarring -- and we saw it several times.

Private/VIP Tours -- there were so many! We stopped counting once we hit 20 private tours on our second day. In our 10 trips to WDW we've only seen two private tours -- both celebrities. I stopped and asked a cast member if it was normal to have so many "plaids" around leading individuals/groups or if there was a special event or something -- she said it was totally normal to have that many. We were surprised by that.

Park guests -- we were really frustrated by other park guests. Cutting in line was rampant and the cast members didn't do anything to stop it. It was really ridiculous and happened all the time. If the rides were using both fastpass checkpoints that would help because people wouldn't be able to jump the first one to get in the fastpass line, but since most attractions were only using the first fastpass checkpoint, people would jump the line after the checkpoint and no one did anything about it. We had reserved seating for the Paint the Night parade and even though it was roped off with a reserved sign, people kept coming in to sit -- the cast member wasn't checking their passes and finally some of the other men in the section started saying something to park guests who tried to sit there without having done the dining package. After they did that several times, the cast members finally got involved and started checking passes and "policing" the areas.

Disneyland -- it was great to be in Walt's park and to walk where he would have walked, and see where it all started. The park was charming, although it's so compact and the walkways are so narrow in many places that it seemed overcrowded and cramped to the point of being uncomfortable. We missed having shade/fans/air conditioning in the queues. Even though the temperatures were in the mid 80s and we've done most of our WDW trips in the summer when it's much hotter/more humid, it just felt hot. Blazing hot! We loved Fantasmic -- especially the pirate section -- and were glad we did the dining package (Hungry Bear) -- we had great seats. It felt crazy trying to get out after the fireworks, though -- compressing all of those people down to one passageway out was super crowded. We focused especially on attractions that we can't do at WDW or that are different at DLR. We loved Indiana Jones, preferred Buzz Lightyear since you can pick up the shooters, and Space Mountain is better at DLR. We didn't care for Matterhorn (too rough). My daughters were definitely unimpressed by Mr Toad's Wild Ride ("That was it????" LOL) and we thought IASW was charming. They felt the Nemo ride lasted too long and started to make them all a bit claustrophobic. We all agreed that Autopia is much better -- more scenic -- at Disneyland. We loved Pirates. Overall, we enjoyed our time here but agreed that we prefer Magic Kingdom. We were disappointed at how many ride breakdowns there were -- we never got to ride Alice in Wonderland because of that, and we weren't able to use our Indiana Jones fastpasses on our last day because it broke down.

DCA -- we loved the wider streets/walkways, and Cars Land is absolutely incredible! The single rider line for RSR is definitely the way to go in the mornings -- we walked on using single rider a couple of times. Same with GOTG, which we loved. We really liked all of CarsLand. We liked the theming of Soarin' better than at Epcot. Grizzly Rapids was so much fun -- I wish we had done that more than once. We tried to but it also broke down for most of one day. The theming in the Grizzly Peak area is also well done. We spent some time on Pixar Pier and enjoyed that. My husband and girls loved Incredicoaster and TSMM is always a favorite of ours. The lines for Adorable Snowman were too long so we never did get to try that. Bing Bong's opened on our last day and we browsed but were a bit underwhelmed. The photo walls were fun. Overall, we preferred the feel and openness of DCA over Disneyland. We did the Wine Country Trattoria dining package and the food was good, especially the panna cotta we had for dessert. We didn't love the outdoor seating because it was so hot, and they didn't want to get an umbrella for us for shade so we ended up asking to move tables. After another family sat at that same table and asked for an umbrella they ended up moving one over there. It's a lovely place to sit and people watch. It was great that the parks are so close -- we were able to park hop easily and quickly.

MaxPass -- I am SO glad we got MaxPass for all three days. I wish I had really figured it out better on the first day -- we definitely underutilized it on the first day and could have done so much more if I had figured it out better sooner. But it's definitely worth it. We talked to one family who had just gotten to the park at 4 pm and at 6:45 was still in line for their first attraction. Not that the headliners would have had fastpasses available by then, but perhaps they could have gotten on other fastpass attractions. I felt bad for them.

We didn't see many Photopass photographers at all.

Food -- The mint juleps and beignets are just as wonderful as I remember them being. We went there a few times... The huge filled macarons from Jolly Holiday Bakery were delicious. We loved mobile ordering and used it at Bengal Barbecue (that was an agreed upon favorite but it would be nice if they had more seating) and a Mexican place in DCA (can't remember the name....). Mobile ordering is fabulous! We enjoyed Tortilla Jo's. Hungry Bear dining package -- my girls had the salmon and they both really enjoyed it. My husband said the chicken was "ok" and I had the riblets and they were not good at all. We enjoyed Wine Country Trattoria -- the salmon was excellent and so was the lamb osso bucco and the steak. The panna cotta was very good, too. We really enjoyed the French Dip sandwiches at French Market. We tried churros -- sorry to everyone who loves them, but they just seemed like regular Costco churros to us. Loved the popcorn -- what is it about theme park popcorn that makes it so good???? We also had lunch on Pixar Pier at Paradise Grill or something...? It's a food court type area with pizza, pasta, and salads. I have dietary restrictions and they were great about making a salad for me that I could eat. We sat outdoors in the shade in their little seating area and it was absolutely fabulous -- perfect shade and it was right by where the Toy Soldiers go in/out so we saw them several times. We also ate at the Mexican place on Pacific Wharf (can't remember the name) and we enjoyed everything we got there. The street tacos were good, my salad was huge, and the other things we tried were also good. Servings were huge and we could have shared everything except the street tacos.

Overall, we really enjoyed our trip and will go back, but we all agreed that WDW has the edge over DLR for us.

We spent three days at DLR last week (Thursday through Saturday). I haven't been there since high school and my husband hadn't been since he was a kid. Our daughters (ages 24 and 19) had never been. We've been to WDW numerous times but this was our first trip to DLR.

The Disney Bubble -- we definitely felt a difference between DLR and WDW. We like that at WDW you don't really see anything until you're right there, for the most part -- for example, you can't see Cinderella's Castle until you're at Magic Kingdom -- nothing visible outside the WDW property, etc. Cars Land backed right up to our hotel and seeing the backside of it kind of put a little damper on the magic for me. Walking to the resort, having it be right in the middle of a congested downtown area, just didn't feel as magical to us as WDW feels, since we really feel isolated from real life when we're at WDW since you can't see it the moment you walk out of the parks.

Private/VIP Tours -- there were so many! We stopped counting once we hit 20 private tours on our second day. In our 10 trips to WDW we've only seen two private tours -- both celebrities. I stopped and asked a cast member if it was normal to have so many "plaids" around leading individuals/groups or if there was a special event or something -- she said it was totally normal to have that many. We were surprised by that.

Overall, we really enjoyed our trip and will go back, but we all agreed that WDW has the edge over DLR for us.

So I have a question......does your Christmas heritage put out the nicely wrapped presents weeks before Christmas eve or on the night of Christmas eve?.......I didn't even know that some children were never allowed to glaze at ahome Christmas tree and presents for weeks at a time..until the children of the new neighbor family were just in shock when they came into our home and saw the tree all set up and presents weeks before the big morning!!!! Disneyland is like that holiday tree, anticipation of the next ornament or garland or gift that is fully exposed for the holiday season. I actually went into a form of memory shock when I visited WDW in 1983, there was nothing to see, nothing to generate excitement from the massive forest, paved parking lot, stretch of water. I was taking a friend for the first time and I was telling him about the Matterhorn sticking up straight to the sky, the castle n view on every turn, the lure of anticipation to the next attraction. I remember nothing of that one day at WDW . The Disney bubble in California starts in the anticipation of seeing the markers that a fun time at Disneyland is at hand. Many folks tell me that waiting 45 mins behind rope drop is a waste of time....but it is the anticipation and all the sights in view. All those smiles, phone snaps, smiles holding cookies and coffees and smiling kids jumping with glee....being corralled on Main Street is the best Bubble of All!

I really like your observation about the VIP Tours......Disneyland is indeed not a destination for thrills or bucket list or vacationing in a bubble....Disneyland is the history of a man who brought magic to the world, and the more we learn about the man, the more appreciation we have about the best wonder in the world...... is Disneyland.

So I have a question......does your Christmas heritage put out the nicely wrapped presents weeks before Christmas eve or on the night of Christmas eve?.......I didn't even know that some children were never allowed to glaze at ahome Christmas tree and presents for weeks at a time..until the children of the new neighbor family were just in shock when they came into our home and saw the tree all set up and presents weeks before the big morning!!!! Disneyland is like that holiday tree, anticipation of the next ornament or garland or gift that is fully exposed for the holiday season. I actually went into a form of memory shock when I visited WDW in 1983, there was nothing to see, nothing to generate excitement from the massive forest, paved parking lot, stretch of water. I was taking a friend for the first time and I was telling him about the Matterhorn sticking up straight to the sky, the castle n view on every turn, the lure of anticipation to the next attraction. I remember nothing of that one day at WDW . The Disney bubble in California starts in the anticipation of seeing the markers that a fun time at Disneyland is at hand. Many folks tell me that waiting 45 mins behind rope drop is a waste of time....but it is the anticipation and all the sights in view. All those smiles, phone snaps, smiles holding cookies and coffees and smiling kids jumping with glee....being corralled on Main Street is the best Bubble of All!

I really like your observation about the VIP Tours......Disneyland is indeed not a destination for thrills or bucket list or vacationing in a bubble....Disneyland is the history of a man who brought magic to the world, and the more we learn about the man, the more appreciation we have about the best wonder in the world...... is Disneyland.

I completely get what you’re saying. (And we’re a half and half family for Christmas - some presents out for weeks, but others magically appear Christmas morning). We had the anticipation every morning as we waited for park opening of what new thing we were going to see and try that day. We really did have a good time - we enjoy trying new things and just being together. I love the history of Disneyland and so does one of my daughters - my husband and other daughter are just all about the rides. Different people like different things, and that’s ok.

Maybe it’s that we’ve spent the last 12 or so years going to WDW...I don’t know. I just know that while we all had a good time and enjoyed ourselves, we all agreed that for us WDW feels more magical and more separated from real life, that we feel more in the bubble there than we did at WDW. Maybe it has to do with knowing that this time together was our last time together for a while as one daughter moved to Texas the day after we got home and the other daughter is moving out of the country in September for 18 months. Maybe it’s that WDW is the park my kids grew up with. It just felt different t to us. But we will definitely Italy be going back!

In fact, I’m hoping to plan a girls trip with my best friends for next year!

Well, if you stay at Candy Cane -- that's not a Disney property, plus it's off-site, so you're not considered to be in the bubble, so that may be part of the reason why you didn't feel in the bubble. Really the GCH and DLH are the only ones in the bubble. The PPH, although it's now a Disney property, started out as another hotel and you have to cross a city street to get to the park from there, so it's not really in the bubble, either.

Glad to hear you liked mobile ordering ... we haven't been since it started, so I'm looking forward to that!

@Born 2B a Princess Thanks for the post about your vacation! I enjoyed reading it and getting the perspective from a WDWer. Some of the things I totally agree with, bored/annoyed cast members, lack of policing ruled (I can't stand rule breaking!) and some of the other general annoyances. I also agree with a lot of your most enjoyable experiences! My family is the opposite of yours - my kids are growing up in Disneyland but we're planning our first trip to WDW next year. I think it can be hard to let go of the expectations you have of your home park. I hope your family will come back together soon and visit Disneyland again! And I hope we aren't too overwhelmed by WDW!

Well, if you stay at Candy Cane -- that's not a Disney property, plus it's off-site, so you're not considered to be in the bubble, so that may be part of the reason why you didn't feel in the bubble. Really the GCH and DLH are the only ones in the bubble. The PPH, although it's now a Disney property, started out as another hotel and you have to cross a city street to get to the park from there, so it's not really in the bubble, either.

Glad to hear you liked mobile ordering ... we haven't been since it started, so I'm looking forward to that!

I agree about the hotel. We always feel very much in the Disney bubble if we stay at VGC. Sometimes, we've stayed at HoJos, and that has a very different feel because the walk in is on that busy street.

Last edited:
I agree about the hotel. We always feel very much in the Disney bubble if we stay a VGC. Sometimes, we've stayed at HoJos, and that has a very different feel because the walk in is on that busy street.

I also agree. We usually stay off site at the Hilton, which is a very nice hotel. But last year we stayed on site at DLH and it was amazing. You always feel like you are at Disney. when we stay off site and leave in the middle of the day it is hard coming back either on the ART or walking. when we stayed on site we would go back to the pool or shop. or just to relax and it was so easy to go back to the parks. I never felt outside the bubble while at DLH. When off site yes it can happen.

I"ll only comment on the things I disagree about, otherwise assume I agree with you! :-)

I am a WDW vet and tried DLR out of curiosity after WDW got their new FP system which I refuse to participate in. I LOVE it SO MUCH MORE than WDW! At WDW I always used Magical Express (something I DEFINITELY miss at DLR...) and always stayed at the Poly, CR, or WL so I was definitely in 'the bubble'. However, I didn't care about the bubble. I liked not needing a car but I MUCH prefer being able to see all those exciting Disney icons poking up into the sky and being able to walk EVERYWHERE at DLR and not need to ride a monorail for five minutes or a bus for ten/fifteen minutes and see nothing but trees or grass or the ugly Disney parking lots, not to mention waiting in lines for all these transportation modes. At Disneyland you have so much freedom to come and go quickly and easily by just walking! We always stay at Candy Cane, too, and I agree coming back to a dirty room in the afternoon isn't fun. You can ask them to clean in the morning though. But I LOVED walking down the palm tree studded street with Cars Land butting up against it all and having both parks plus Downtown RIGHT THERE. Park hopping is such a dream and a major time saver at DLR. I'm someone who really, really likes details and to know how they do things. So for me I guess I don't want that whole 'magic' show only experience. I want that backstage stuff so I can see up close how things work and see the secrets. Seeing the back of Cars Land from my hotel was cool! Getting evacuated off Splash Mountain was a Disney dream come true! I LIKE that it's in the middle of the city and frankly rather feel the whole surrounding area on Harbor IS part of it all. Certainly all those cars and tourists in those hotels are there for Disneyland. I think it's neat to see cast members in their costumes walking in the wrong land or waiting at the exit for their rides. Again that is kind of backstage to me.

I feel much more in control of my time and my vacation at DLR because I have my own two feet to get me wherever I need to be whenever I want. That control and power over my vacation is enjoyable. I've been to WDW about ten times plus I worked the college program for a semester. In the past five years I've been to DLR five times. I'll only go back to WDW if someone else pays for it or they get rid of their horrible new, extremely limited book far in advance for three measly fastpasses Fastpass System. However, I DID have fabulous trips there, .especially between 2005 and 2010. Once they initiated Fastpass Plus that's when we decided to try DLR which was big deal cause we live on the east coast. No regrets though, DLR is far superior for us.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy much of DLR and glad you can go back to WDW if you prefer! :-)

Folks you have to stop.

OP was super fair in the differences.

But as discussed...Disneyland is a land...not a world. Walt did what he could with a small area.

Disney World was Walt’s way to improve everything he learned and could not do in Calif. so it’s not an opinion folks...

DW is far superior than DL

That’s it. Enjoy both.

Folks you have to stop.

OP was super fair in the differences.

But as discussed...Disneyland is a land...not a world. Walt did what he could with a small area.

Disney World was Walt’s way to improve everything he learned and could not do in Calif. so it’s not an opinion folks...

DW is far superior than DL

That’s it. Enjoy both.
I respect the OPs view. Not sure why you are saying people have to stop responding to the OP, they have all been quite fair and even agreeing in many cases. And Walt died before the plans got off the ground so he couldn't improve things. WDW was Roy's baby.

But which park is "better" is a personal thing. I'm glad you prefer WDW. I don't find WDW superior to DL. For me, I'll stick with DL.

To me, they are vastly different experiences and are like comparing apples and broccoli. I love Disneyland. I miss it as soon as we leave. We go as often as we can. In regards to WDW, we enjoyed our trip, but I have no pressing desire to go back. My initial thought was more of "We've done it, one and done." Now I am thinking maybe in 5 years we will go back. I don't miss it.

That’s a long-standing corporate myth. Walt built DL; Roy built MK.

Passageways and walkways in DL are narrow, with lots of turns, by design to create “the reveal” of going from scene to scene in a movie. If Walt had lived longer to contribute to the design of the MK would it would have been closer to DL (or maybe it would have been more different from it).

Last edited:
Folks it’s not a personal thing...it’s a fact.
Disney is a world...Disney 2.0.
And Walt bought all the land and planned it based on avoiding the error from DL. And what he couldn’t do there.

That’s it...every one enjoy DL. It’s fantastic.

And Walt bought all the land and planned it based on avoiding the error from DL. And what he couldn’t do there.

I disagree. It is not a fact. I have been to both multiple times and find the original park to be where the magic is. My family doesn't see "The World" as an improvement, although we do enjoy many facets of it.

That's not a fact, it's contrary to the real history of story of Reedy Creek Improvement District. Walt had one singular focus — buying lots of cheap land that he could incorporate, in a state selected for low taxes and weak labor laws, to build a real city designed by, built by, and run by Disney and partner corporations (EPCOT). Walt wanted a real major city with homes, factories, warehouses, office buildings, mass transit (people mover!), shipping and distribution, without having to give control to local government or residents. Roy had to talk Walt into begrudgingly adding a theme park to the plan, but Walt didn't want a hand in it's design. Walt's comment was he didn't want to build "Disneyland East" because he had already built DL and didn't see how he could improve. The Magic Kingdom was only fast-tracked after Walt died.

Again Disneyland is great. It’s a miracle...

But it was done on limited space and budget because they didn’t know if it would be successful.

Thanks to DL they were able to move confidently into WDW and improve upon the original concept. Take advantage of what they learned both from successes and what not to do. Plus additional land.

DW is a world. Immersive. Advanced.

Stop being sensitive.

Disneyland is fantastic. Just enjoy it for what it is and it’s history.

And Walt bought all the land and planned it based on avoiding the error from DL.
Not quite. Not sure where you are getting your information, but it is quite off. Yes, Walt was purchasing the land. But he wasn't wanting another Disneyland. Project X was about a Utopian city, and EPCOT was his plan. He did not even have a plan for a theme park. That was all Roy.

People - why do you care that DW is newer...larger...more immersive (hence “world”.)

Just enjoy Disneyland - it’s wonderful for what it is.

I don't think this is about facts but more one of those "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type things. Facts do not make one better than the other. We all have different experiences in the parks.

Disneyland holds a spot in my heart. It is the park where DD is growing up. She does not know DW, and although it is a trip we will make with her in the next few years there is no way it can or will compare to DL. At least for us DL is the better park.

There you go. Tink is exactly right.

Even though the facts are the facts. DW is larger, more advanced, and more immersive....

Your personal experiences and memories make you love Disneyland.

That’s the way it should be.

I don't think this is about facts but more one of those "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type things.

Totally agree, my posts were not about DL>WDW or vice-versa, just that WDW was not designed by Walt and wasn’t ever considered a 2.0 in his eyes.

I apologize to the OP for the tangent. I have my own one-day trip report from this past week tompost about (it was fantastic!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter