Back in the water???

DisneyMommy1022

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me when the trainers will be back in the water with the Orca's again??? We will be at Sea world on May 31st.

im surprised they even let them in with dolphins. im sure with one head-butt they could kill a human. "free willy"

Believe isn't as exciting without the great moves the Orcas and trainers do together. Those moves are just awesome, and I think everyone will miss them. I saw the show March 16th. I will say, though, that I was very impressed with what they did do and think they did an admirable job salvaging the show. Wow! an Orca doing a full flip / happened twice in the show. I didn't know Orcas could do that. They also had some of the Orcas line up and sort of do some dance moves together // pretty cool. And instead of Tilly doing the Shamu Shamu song splash routine (He wasn't in the show) they had a whole bunch of the Orcas come out and do their best splashing -- very cute and they did a great job. Still, of course, no Oraca can splash water 16 rows back like Tilly.

they are not going back into the water with the orcas until the investigation is over that could be mid april early may for all we know. Im going May 14th so I will let u know.

I'm hoping the trainer petting/rubbing a whale in the show yesterday is a good sign that they're moving back to more contact.

I've talked to some of the educators and they say by summer would be the earliest.

But I have noticed a lot more closeness to the whales during the show.

Anyone know the answer to this question yet? We are going in early July, and would love to see more trainer-whale interaction and stunts.

Anyone know the answer to this question yet? We are going in early July, and would love to see more trainer-whale interaction and stunts.

http://www.wesh.com/entertainment/23656909/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- SeaWorld is gradually phasing out ads that depict trainers swimming with whales. The park also expects to have most of the images of Dawn Brancheau, the whale trainer who was killed, out of circulation in the next several weeks.

SeaWorld revealed the planned changes to its advertising after WESH 2 News inquired about an ad at the Orlando International Airport featuring Brancheau emerging from the water on the back of a killer whale.

The ad is prominently displayed over the escalators that lead down to the baggage claim.

SeaWorld spokesman Fred Jacobs said, "We discussed those images internally and with Dawn's family. They asked us specifically to keep the images of Dawn up as a way of honoring her memory."

However, after further discussions with the family, the theme park said it is slowly phasing out the photos of Dawn, but it won't be an easy task. Brancheau was the most photographed trainer in SeaWorld history and there are many images out there which SeaWorld has no control over.

The park said its new ads will feature trainers interacting with whales but not swimming with them, which is a truer depiction of the current guest experience at the park.

Trainers have not entered the water with the whales since Brancheau's death back in late February. The killer whale shows are still held in Shamu stadium, but the trainers cue the whales from the ledges around the pool.

As for the future of whale-trainer interaction, the theme park said its internal investigation of Brancheau's death is now complete.

"Over the next two weeks we'll begin to convene the external panel and after that we will craft the final plan for altering the ways we interact with and present killer whales," Jacobs said.

I am sure the OP has already gone on vacation but I had some friends just return from Sea World San Diego on June 1 and the trainers were still not in the water with the orcas.

We were at Sea World Orlando yesterday and the trainers were not in the water yet. They did have a part when many of them swam across the pool right before they did the splashing but of course there were no whales in the water at that time. Tillikum was in the viewing tank that day and they did talk a little about the fact that the whale died in childbirth on Sunday at the viewing area. I hope they can return at some point to the water because we really miss that part of the show. Although I do worry for their safety.

We were at Sea World 6/3 to see Believe. We love the show no matter what, but we did definitely see the trainers remove the whales from the front and shut and chain the gates before they brought the child down to give him the necklace (and that part seemed rather, well, empty) and then after the trainers dove in and swam across for the Shamy splash part...which was still done by 4 of the smaller whales.

Like I said we love the whales, but we have the DVD and watch it often, and both my kids (who are 7 and 5) said afterwards..."It wasn't the same Mom."

There was a lot of trainer/whale interaction on the sides...but they were right, it wasn't the same.

We are going in November. We have never seen the shows so we don't have anything to compare it to. Will we be diappointed in the show since the trainers will not be in the water or is it still a good show without them?

A whale died??? that's so sad.

I miss sea world. I can't wait to get to san diego and see the shows again. It'll be a while before I get back to florida. And I've run out of time to go to san antonio.

Saw 'Believe' in San Antonio on June 14th, and the trainers were not in the water with the whales.
However, in the whale and dolphin stadium for the show 'Azul', trainers were in the water with the Beluga whales.

Trainers were not in the water on June 18 when we were there.

We just got back from Orlando and went to Seaworld on 19th August. I wasn't aware that there would be no interaction between the whales and trainers in the water and we were terribly disappointed. It seemed there was very little substance to the show. Seeing the trainers flying into the air with the whales was always the highlight for us. I do realise of course that the incident in February was a terrible tragedy but I really hope they can find a way around it and restore the earlier magic. It just doesn't feel half as impressive as it used to.

MyFoxOrlando reported:

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration issued three citations on Monday saying, "the employer did not furnish employment and a place of employment which were free from recognized hazards that were causing or likely to cause death or serious physical harm to employees.
One of the three violations is considered "willful," or shows indifference or intentional disregard for employee safety. It was given for exposing workers to drowning hazards when interacting with killer whales. "SeaWorld recognized the inherent risk of allowing trainers to interact with potentially dangerous animals. Nonetheless, it required its employees to work within the pool walls, on ledges and on shelves where they were subject to dangerous behavior by the animals."

Two other "serious" citations were given, which indicate death or serious physical harm is likely to result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known. One of those citations was for failing to install a stairway railing system beside the stage in Shamu Stadium.

The administration made many recommendations, including that SeaWorld ban trainers from entering the water with any killer whale unless they are protected "through the use of physical barriers, or through the use of decking systems, oxygen supply systems or other engineering or administrative controls."

So I think that tells us there'll be no more interaction between whales and trainers in the water.

MyFoxOrlando reported:

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration issued three citations on Monday saying, "the employer did not furnish employment and a place of employment which were free from recognized hazards that were causing or likely to cause death or serious physical harm to employees.
One of the three violations is considered "willful," or shows indifference or intentional disregard for employee safety. It was given for exposing workers to drowning hazards when interacting with killer whales. "SeaWorld recognized the inherent risk of allowing trainers to interact with potentially dangerous animals. Nonetheless, it required its employees to work within the pool walls, on ledges and on shelves where they were subject to dangerous behavior by the animals."

Two other "serious" citations were given, which indicate death or serious physical harm is likely to result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known. One of those citations was for failing to install a stairway railing system beside the stage in Shamu Stadium.

The administration made many recommendations, including that SeaWorld ban trainers from entering the water with any killer whale unless they are protected "through the use of physical barriers, or through the use of decking systems, oxygen supply systems or other engineering or administrative controls."

So I think that tells us there'll be no more interaction between whales and trainers in the water.

hmmm. . . That's unfortunate, to say the least. It's a bit odd that SW has had trainers in the water for many years, but now they're getting a citation. Or have they been getting these citations all along?

I really loved watching the trainers interact so closely with the killer whales - glad I got to see it but really sad it seems my children won't be able to.

That report is a recommendation from OSHA. Seaworld is currently fighting these allegations. I had read a rumor somewhere that Seaworld was currently working on an oxygen device for the trainers underwater. We'll see if this is true or not.

And NYDisneyKid:
Obviously no one cares about the articles you have been posting. Its obvious your anti Seaworld. Thats fine just leave the people who enjoy Seaworld alone and let them enjoy their vacations. And FYI $70,000 is the Maximum Fine that OSHA can give out for any circumstance. Whether its death related or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter