Back in the water???

That report is a recommendation from OSHA. Seaworld is currently fighting these allegations. I had read a rumor somewhere that Seaworld was currently working on an oxygen device for the trainers underwater. We'll see if this is true or not.

And NYDisneyKid:
Obviously no one cares about the articles you have been posting. Its obvious your anti Seaworld. Thats fine just leave the people who enjoy Seaworld alone and let them enjoy their vacations. And FYI $70,000 is the Maximum Fine that OSHA can give out for any circumstance. Whether its death related or not.

Mhmm, I've heard that to, by the sounds of it that was a recomendation from OSHA. I kinda wish OSHA's report was a bit more detailed, I actually was expecting something more elaborated then what we recived.

never assume

Well it seemed as if you were. And if your not, my apologies. Just the comment about the price being to low for a death got me a little frustrated. Its not the price, but the life that was lost. Sorry for lashing out.

Well it seemed as if you were. And if your not, my apologies.Its not the price, but the life that was lost. Sorry for lashing out.

correct. it was the life that was lost. and no price or fine etc. can bring the trainer back. i guess i knew what i meant but others didnt. apology accepted

MyFoxOrlando reported:

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration issued three citations on Monday saying, "the employer did not furnish employment and a place of employment which were free from recognized hazards that were causing or likely to cause death or serious physical harm to employees.
One of the three violations is considered "willful," or shows indifference or intentional disregard for employee safety. It was given for exposing workers to drowning hazards when interacting with killer whales. "SeaWorld recognized the inherent risk of allowing trainers to interact with potentially dangerous animals. Nonetheless, it required its employees to work within the pool walls, on ledges and on shelves where they were subject to dangerous behavior by the animals."

Two other "serious" citations were given, which indicate death or serious physical harm is likely to result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known. One of those citations was for failing to install a stairway railing system beside the stage in Shamu Stadium.

The administration made many recommendations, including that SeaWorld ban trainers from entering the water with any killer whale unless they are protected "through the use of physical barriers, or through the use of decking systems, oxygen supply systems or other engineering or administrative controls."

So I think that tells us there'll be no more interaction between whales and trainers in the water.

Just so you know, Sea World is planning on fighting this violation.

I think that anyone who works with animals understands the inherent risks involved and accepts those risks. The trainers give every indication of loving the whales and loving the work they do with them. People who work with animals will always risk injury or death (even on farms etc) and you can never cover all the possible dangers and make the environment totally safe - animals are unpredictable. I would like to know how the trainers themselves feel about the situation.
Nevertheless, as a major employer, Seaworld will have to be seen to be doing everything possible to safeguard its employees and I cannot see the former show elements ever returning.

When I read the rulings from OSHA I think that if they basically stop the trainers from being in the water and working with the animals then OSHA needs to look at other jobs and ban people from doing them because they are also dangerous. For example:

lifeguards- drowning people are dangerous and often the rescuer drowns instead of the person drowning because the person drowning hangs onto the rescuer and fights to stay above water causing the rescuer not to be able to stay afloat.

roofers- fall off roofs or ladders so better not let them repair or do roofs.

taxi and bus drivers- could have accidents or get shot by a robber so better not have buses and taxis on the streets anymore

meat cutters- blades are sharp might cut fingers off so better not have them anymore

teachers- possibility of a kid or someone else coming into school and shooting you

sales clerks/cashiers/managers- might get robbed and killed

pilots/military/electricians/plumbers/miners/police officers/firemen/ astronauts/doctors/nurses/zoo employees/garbage men/fishermen/oil rig workers
etc. etc. etc.
There are dangers in almost all jobs. We take the jobs knowing this. Lets compare the number of deaths and injuries in just these job types and see which is actually more dangerous to an employee than working with whales in a controlled environment. Should OSHA rule to ban all these jobs because there is a danger to an employee that the owners/managers are aware of and yet they hire people to work these jobs?

Seems to me advising SW to have a clause stating no long hair on people interacting with the animals would be a better idea since that is how the whale pulled Dawn in. Think of your cat or dog and how they are attracted to anything you swing in front of them. They reach out and try to play with it. I still think that is what happened in this case. It was a tragic accident and a great loss but like in most things we can learn from it and go on.
RIP my friend.........

My point exactly - life is dangerous and unpredictable. You can never foresee or prevent all accidents.
ITA with "Seems to me advising SW to have a clause stating no long hair on people interacting with the animals would be a better idea...... It was a tragic accident and a great loss but, like in most things, we can learn from it and go on."

I too would like to hear the trainers view on the ruling. It must not feel like the same job now that they cannot interact anymore with the whales anymore. Being able to do it for so long it has too leave a void somewhere in their lifestyle.

We are going in November. We have never seen the shows so we don't have anything to compare it to. Will we be diappointed in the show since the trainers will not be in the water or is it still a good show without them?

Years ago back in the 70s before they swam with the whales they still had a great show. If you haven't seen the show with trainers in the water it will still be good. It is just a better show when you see how well the trainers and whales do together in the water. They both had fun and to me it was just beautiful. Just seeing the whales is a thing of beauty though. Most of us would never see them in the wild so it makes it worth seeing even if no one is in the water.

I think a death record of 1 is a very safe job. There's plenty of people that get killed in their line of work to due negligence of another co-worker/person. At least there's a basic understanding that animals are wild and you can not control their actions. In all the years prior to this accident, how many times have you heard a sea world educator or trainer telling you "it's a dangerous job"??
I do hope Sea World wins their fight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter