Back Stress Fracture?

Feralpeg

Living and Loving Windermere!
If you or someone you know has had a back stress fracture, how long before the pain died down?

Mid-February, I attempted to lift my 100 pound dog into the car. Bad move. After three weeks of pain, I ended up seeing an orthopedist. He ordered MRIs with and without contrast. It turns out that I have a stress fracture mid-back. Unfortunately, it also showed that my breast cancer has spread to my spine. Oddly, the pain in my back is not from the cancer. They tell me it is from the fracture.

It is pretty painful. Any sharp movement is very painful. It is hard to sleep. No matter what position I take, it cases pressure on my back. Oddly, my ribs are very sore. The doctor says the fracture will heal on its own. He is more concerned in starting additional cancer treatments. I'm just wondering how long it might be before I see some relief from the fracture pain.

Oh, Peg. :hug: I’m sorry to hear that. Fractures generally heal in around 6-8 weeks. I don’t know how or if the cancer will play into it. Your ribs might hurt because you are using different muscles to try to get comfortable from the back pain. Is there a chair that’s more comfortable, like a recliner? Does a heating pad or ice pack help? You must be on some analgesics. There were no herniated discs or anything? Your leg doesn’t hurt?

Oh, Peg. :hug: I’m sorry to hear that. Fractures generally heal in around 6-8 weeks. I don’t know how or if the cancer will play into it. Your ribs might hurt because you are using different muscles to try to get comfortable from the back pain. Is there a chair that’s more comfortable, like a recliner? Does a heating pad or ice pack help? You must be on some analgesics. There were no herniated discs or anything? Your leg doesn’t hurt?
Thanks, Pea! No disc involvement. Unfortunately, you don't realize how often you twist your spine until it's injured!

I've been applying Icy/Hot. It helps some. I see the oncologist tomorrow. They've already called in a new prescription for me for zoledronic acid infusion. It has to be done at the cancer center where it is injected into a vein. It won't deter the cancer, but it will help preserve bone loss. They wanted to put me on a monoclonal antibody treatment, but the insurance won't allow it until I've tried the zoledronic acid and it fails. Encouraging...ha! I'm assuming they will also try some sort of radiation treatment and I will continue on the Ibrance and Fluvestrant treatment.

The good news, if any, is that my tumor markers have actually gone done recently. Go figure!

I'll ask for some good pain meds tomorrow. I can deal with the rest!

Thanks, Pea! No disc involvement. Unfortunately, you don't realize how often you twist your spine until it's injured!

I've been applying Icy/Hot. It helps some. I see the oncologist tomorrow. They've already called in a new prescription for me for zoledronic acid infusion. It has to be done at the cancer center where it is injected into a vein. It won't deter the cancer, but it will help preserve bone loss. They wanted to put me on a monoclonal antibody treatment, but the insurance won't allow it until I've tried the zoledronic acid and it fails. Encouraging...ha! I'm assuming they will also try some sort of radiation treatment and I will continue on the Ibrance and Fluvestrant treatment.

The good news, if any, is that my tumor markers have actually gone done recently. Go figure!

I'll ask for some good pain meds tomorrow. I can deal with the rest!
Well that’s good news no disc involvement. I would probably try sleeping in a chair with LOTS of pillows, even firm ones like from the sofa behind my back, maybe, with a warm soak at bedtime and a heating pad. Tylenol helps the pain and helps you sleep, and you can try some melatonin, too. I hope you can find a way to get comfortable. Sending healing vibes and prayers! I hope the zoledronic acid infusion helps. :flower3:

I've had lots of back troubles over the years, even having a surgery at one point.
Recliners helped me quite a bit to get some rest. I was able to adjust my position a little easier.
Lots of pillows too.

My BFFs sister was going through cancer treatment when hit by a car. Her broken leg took much longer to heal as a result. Not sure if it will be the same in your case.
Sorry you're going through this....:grouphug:

My mom just fell and fractured her spine last week. Neurosurgeon said it would be a good three months before she was feeling much better. The back brace keeps spine straight and reduces the pain.

We both came aboard the Dis about the same time. I have no advice but wanted to wish you the best! You did a really nice favor for me years ago (involving getting a Disney arrangement to my wife's workplace) and I've never forgotten that. Hope you're feeling better soon!:)

So sorry you are dealing with this! :grouphug: I have had stress fractures in my right foot a couple times, but not in my back. It was extremely painful and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I hope your back feels better soon so you can focus on the other medical issues. Sending you positive thoughts and pixie dust!:tinker:

Most importantly is to avoid forward bending/flexion of your spine. The ribs connect to the mid back (thoracic spine). Make sure you work on breathing to avoid any respiratory issues. Laying down, either on your back or tummy, will probably feel the best. You could ask your MD if you could go to PT!

I broke my L1. I have spine cancer. I had a back brace and physical therapist came every week to help me get on my feet again. The pain was unbelievable. I know what you are going through. It took me a month to feel better. I was on Ibrance and Fluvestrant. It didn’t do anything. I am now on Chemo pills. They seem to be working. I also get Xgeva shots.

So sorry to hear this latest, Peg. :hug:'s With all you have on your plate, you sure don't need another. But I know you as a real trooper, dealing with what comes your way. You are amazing!!

Hoping for relief from the back problem, keeping you in prayers. And you will successfully take care of that cancer as you have so many times in the past.

Hoping Kendall with her own challenges is doing well. :hug:'s

Thank you all for you replies! I saw the oncologist today and got some really encouraging news. They compared my latest MRI to previous test results and have decided that the lesions on my spine are not active. They believe they were actually killed by my previous chemo treatment. I had no idea I even had lesions on my spine previously. This is amazingly good news! I will have the first infusion on Friday to increase bone mass and will continue my current treatment.

As for the fracture, they are scheduling a procedure where they will cement the fracture which should alleviate further pain. It may take a couple weeks to get in, but the oncologist said it is a frequently done procedure for people who have had a fracture due to spinal lesions. She said it is easy and safe.

It has been a very good day! Thank you again for all your supportive posts!

So happy for the good news you got today. Hoping you get some relief from the pain soon.

Thank you all for you replies! I saw the oncologist today and got some really encouraging news. They compared my latest MRI to previous test results and have decided that the lesions on my spine are not active. They believe they were actually killed by my previous chemo treatment. I had no idea I even had lesions on my spine previously. This is amazingly good news! I will have the first infusion on Friday to increase bone mass and will continue my current treatment.

As for the fracture, they are scheduling a procedure where they will cement the fracture which should alleviate further pain. It may take a couple weeks to get in, but the oncologist said it is a frequently done procedure for people who have had a fracture due to spinal lesions. She said it is easy and safe.

It has been a very good day! Thank you again for all your supportive posts!

Great update Peg! Keep 'em coming. :goodvibes

That’s wonderful news! I’m so happy for you! Hope you can get some relief soon! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter