Back to back cruise - alcohol scenario

Nick13Mouse

Earning My Ears
I am going on a back to back cruise in a couple weeks on the Disney Wish. Each reservation allows you to bring 2 bottles of wine OR a six pack of beer per adult. I have confirmed with Disney that they will NOT allow me to board with the bottles for the 2nd leg of the back to back.

I have to disembark and then can turn around and get back on to the ship about an hour later. It doesn't make a lot of sense for me to get an Uber to go pick up some wine/beer.

I am looking for any other cost effective ideas: like are there storage lockers at the port?

I have confirmed with Disney that they will NOT allow me to board with the bottles for the 2nd leg of the back to back.
I assume you mean that they won't let you bring on double the normal amount on the first leg on the premise that you're consolidating your allowable amounts for both cruises? Not that they won't let you board the first leg with the normal amount of alcohol that you then retain on board for the second leg?

I have not heard of storage lockers… Could you turn over your excess supply to customs? And then receive it as contraband items returned to you when you return to the port?

Seems like a risky bet, but that’s about all I can imagine….

Could you turn over your excess supply to customs? And then receive it as contraband items returned to you when you return to the port?
I doubt this would work, because the DCL site description of the alcohol policy says
  • Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers is prohibited and must be discarded prior to entry and no compensation offered.
If you want to bring onboard more than 2 bottles of wine or 6 beers, you will need to purchase it during a port stop or between cruises.

Could you turn over your excess supply to customs? And then receive it as contraband items returned to you when you return to the port?
I've heard that excess alcohol is disposed of, not held pending your return, unlike other items.

I assume you mean that they won't let you bring on double the normal amount on the first leg on the premise that you're consolidating your allowable amounts for both cruises? Not that they won't let you board the first leg with the normal amount of alcohol that you then retain on board for the second leg?
Yes, sorry, I could have worded that better.

I have not heard of storage lockers… Could you turn over your excess supply to customs? And then receive it as contraband items returned to you when you return to the port?

Seems like a risky bet, but that’s about all I can imagine….
I believe they dispose of alcohol. But i love the idea!

I doubt this would work, because the DCL site description of the alcohol policy says
  • Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers is prohibited and must be discarded prior to entry and no compensation offered.
If you want to bring onboard more than 2 bottles of wine or 6 beers, you will need to purchase it during a port stop or between cruises
Okay, so buy a couple of bottles of wine in Nassau. Those then get checked with security when I'm boarding. Then when I disembark, I grab those bottles, and hop back in line?

Okay, so buy a couple of bottles of wine in Nassau. Those then get checked with security when I'm boarding. Then when I disembark, I grab those bottles, and hop back in line?

No you can board with the wine, not liquor. Wine and beer can be restocked at each port of call. On your back to back you shouldn't be taking your luggage off the ship.

Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

I am not sure if they allow it now, but pre-Covid, we checked our extra bottles of wine on a back to back (upon embarking on the 1st cruise of the b2b), then picked them up the morning of disembarking from the first cruise and embarking on the second cruise. I am not sure if that is still allowed but maybe someone else has more recent experience.

I would just buy a couple of bottles of wine on the ship. Sure sounds like a hassle trying to meet someone or taking an uber to a store to buy some. I love that you are the first people on the ship on the second cruise of a B2B. That extra time on the ship would trump saving a few dollars on the wine purchase for me.

Phenomenal idea!!! Thank you! I live in Utah, and alcohol delivery is not allowed, so I didn't even consider that as a possibility.
Didn’t realize state by state there’d be a difference but that makes sense. Definitely okay in CA. Just did a quick search and looks like you could get it delivered to your cruise terminal in 25 min!

I would just buy a couple of bottles of wine on the ship. Sure sounds like a hassle trying to meet someone or taking an uber to a store to buy some. I love that you are the first people on the ship on the second cruise of a B2B. That extra time on the ship would trump saving a few dollars on the wine purchase for me.
Well, there's always the option of purchasing the wine on your first port of call.

Didn’t realize state by state there’d be a difference but that makes sense. Definitely okay in CA. Just did a quick search and looks like you could get it delivered to your cruise terminal in 25 min!
On a back 2 back he has no reason to. As he stated, he can buy it in Nassau or what ever their first port is and leave it in his cabin. If he's changing cabins, he leaves it in his luggage since it stays on the ship. DCL will take it to his new cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter