Back to School during the pandemic ...a discussion thread

If a child was older maybe, but learning math and currency and learning to make change with pennies and dollar bills which we don’t have will only confuse them . We don’t teach the kids to pay in Euros because itrelevant to their daily life . Learning currency at a young age they need to relate to their own piggy banks , what’s in their homes etc .

They are still learning the basics of everything in grade 3, it needs to be relatable and relevant . I’m not going to teach him to spell favorite, neighbor color and then correct them. Why ? Especially having a child with LD.

DS woke up with a very mild cough (only a couple coughs occasionally). Now this could be from just waking up, dry air etc. So at what point do I say, time to go get tested. And what point do I just wait it out and see if it continues?

Thankfully it’s Saturday for no school and I will keep him home from hockey today.

I should add I’m asking this because of the difficulty with testing right now. If it was easy and quick results I would just take him.

DS woke up with a very mild cough (only a couple coughs occasionally). Now this could be from just waking up, dry air etc. So at what point do I say, time to go get tested. And what point do I just wait it out and see if it continues?

Thankfully it’s Saturday for no school and I will keep him home from hockey today.

I should add I’m asking this because of the difficulty with testing right now. If it was easy and quick results I would just take him.
What province are you in? In Ontario testing changes today to by appointment only.

Personally, to know for sure, if my child was not normally the type to have a dry cough, if the cough persists more than a couple of hours after waking up, I’d choose to be cautious and fill out the online questionnaire. If it recommends he be tested I’d go that route as I’d want to know for sure.

What province are you in? In Ontario testing changes today to by appointment only.

Personally, to know for sure, if my child was not normally the type to have a dry cough, if the cough persists more than a couple of hours after waking up, I’d choose to be cautious and fill out the online questionnaire. If it recommends he be tested I’d go that route as I’d want to know for sure.
We are in Ontario. He sometimes gets a cough just because of dry air. I’m going to give it a couple hours I think.

We are in Ontario. He sometimes gets a cough just because of dry air. I’m going to give it a couple hours I think.
This is what I am facing right now. The little boy I watch is feeling completely better, I’m probably about 75% better ... we could be recovered before we even get the phone call to assess if we even need the appointment . Nevermind the actual test.
There was a news conference yesterday where they changed the guidelines again. If your child only has a runny nose, headache or sore throat they do not need the test. Frankly it’s confusing as heck and people want to do the right thing and can’t even figure out what that is anymore. I’m not even sure if we need tests now .

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ontario-u...-not-required-for-only-a-runny-nose-1.5128937

Last edited:
Our son is currently in 14 day quarantine due to a kid in his class having tested positive. I'm hopeful that nothing will come of it. He's only at school for one class every other day and he's very good with following protocols, but will watch for symptoms. Not planning on getting him tested unless he starts not feeling well. Don't want to put him through a that kind of test (Then again, I think that's the new rule anyways). At home, we have separated his dishes, he's sitting on his own sofa, etc. and just watching him.

Our son is currently in 14 day quarantine due to a kid in his class having tested positive. I'm hopeful that nothing will come of it. He's only at school for one class every other day and he's very good with following protocols, but will watch for symptoms. Not planning on getting him tested unless he starts not feeling well. Don't want to put him through a that kind of test (Then again, I think that's the new rule anyways). At home, we have separated his dishes, he's sitting on his own sofa, etc. and just watching him.

Actually would your son qualify for a test at a pharmacy? I think they are using a saliva test? Not the one up the nose. But I could be wrong.

Are those out now? And would they test if no symptoms? That we would do.

The tests at the Pharmacy were for people with no symptoms. I had heard they were a different kind of swab but now I can’t find where I saw that. But I just checked the criteria for being tested there and I don’t think he meets them. Sorry

The tests at the Pharmacy were for people with no symptoms. I had heard they were a different kind of swab but now I can’t find where I saw that. But I just checked the criteria for being tested there and I don’t think he meets them. Sorry
Thank you. I appreciate you mentioning and looking into it.

I honestly don't see the problem. When I went to school, we had to learn both US history and geography. I see no problem with it at all, in fact I think an understanding of the US is extremely important since our two countries, indeed even our histories, are so inter-dependent. And it's certainly an appropriate time to dive into the US with the upcoming election. If nothing else, look how ignorant most Americans are about Canada (or any country besides their own) - your child will have a better global awareness than them.
Agreed. We were taught that also....and that was over 50 years ago.

The problem is that what the child has been given is not in our curriculum, but there are many, many resources from Canadian teachers and publishers that are available. Even at Costco. Math was given as an example-pennies and dollar bills that don't coincide with our own. Spelling is different and can be confusing. Our kids need to learn our geography and be familiar with places and customs of Canada over the US. If a parent were to choose a resource from the States, no issue. But a teacher sending out that same resource is not acceptable in my mind, since there are Canadian options available.

The problem is that what the child has been given is not in our curriculum, but there are many, many resources from Canadian teachers and publishers that are available. Even at Costco. Math was given as an example-pennies and dollar bills that don't coincide with our own. Spelling is different and can be confusing. Our kids need to learn our geography and be familiar with places and customs of Canada over the US. If a parent were to choose a resource from the States, no issue. But a teacher sending out that same resource is not acceptable in my mind, since there are Canadian options available.

Not sure if it dealt with units of measurement, but that is a huge difference as well and not in the Canadian curriculum.

As an educator—that is an entirely unacceptable package to assign. It’s not the curriculum educators are LEGALLY OBLIGATED to deliver. There is no merit in it at all. Teachers have a vast curriculum to deliver—no time for useless busy work. I’d be taking the matter up the chain of command.

Yes, you were taught it when it came up in the curriculum. They may very well still teach some of this in the curriculum now; but IIRC it wasn't until high school even 40 years ago for me. It is not appropriate if it is delivered at the wrong stage of the educational continuum.

My son only went back because he was so afraid that the fall online learning would go like it did in the spring. He’s in Grade 11 but already very concerned about being ready to apply for the post secondary programs he wants. His top choice had an entrance average of 93% last year. He is capable and he works hard but I don‘t think he‘s getting the instruction he needs. He couldn’t even get answers to emails in the spring . It’s definitely better now, but it’s still not an ideal delivery method. My husband spent the entire evening working out physics with him last night , after he worked on it all afternoon . The teacher will answer emails on weekdays between 9:10 and 9:40 am . That means the questions he had would have been answered while he was doing the test he was studying for .

It’s just such a jumbled mess for everyone. I support our educators and I do believe the vast majority are doing their best with a really difficult situation. This whole situation is frustration after frustration for the students too.

I keep thinking that he’s going to have to take a 12b year. He could boost any grades that needed it , and work to earn more money for school . He hasn’t been able to work this year so that would help.

I have to agree. So far, so good for him. His core classes seem to be going good and they are getting the curriculum taught in a timely manner. Our who province of Gr 12's all write the same standardized test for core classes. I am trying to stay positive that they are learning what they are needing to and not getting short changed. I hope they have their bakcup plans ready for if any of the classes are quarantined and the lessons go virtual. I hope the a better system in place than how it was done in Spring.

My biggest fear is that hopefully through all of this, he will still be able to do his

I have been very impressed with the teaching staff in all our schools in our city tbh. Many of the schools have posted videos on their school FB pages with all their Covid protocols that they have put into place. How they are spacing the kids, when they need to mask, when they don't. I know it has eased some of the worry for parents about transmission at school.

I'm not impressed with this "covid-19 cases in schools and child care centres" website (https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-cases-schools-and-child-care-centres) the Ontario government is running. It's suppose to be updated week days at 10:30 AM.

But for my school board, only one school is listed as having Covid cases for the past week. Yet, last week the school board's website showed 2. Today I discovered the school that I cross at (I'm a crossing guard) discovered they had a case on the 3rd. It's on the school board's website. It was on Durham News today. Yet that government website still only shows the same one school.

My school has its second confirmed case. Due to privacy issue, identity of the infected student cannot be revealed. After a student is tested positive, Public Health takes two days to investigate then inform any affected cohort of students and teachers to stay home for the 14-day quarantine. During those two days under investigation, the affected students and teachers are still in school. I don’t understand why there is this time lag. Can’t they just keep the maybe affected students and teachers home during the investigation? Now my colleagues are wondering who this second student is and if they are affected or not. Should I self isolate myself now at home and stay away from my husband and daughter just in case? I just wish teachers can be notified earlier.

Yes, I agree AngelDisney.

I forgot to mention in this case the school published a letter on their website addressed to their students, parents and teachers about the positive covid case and what they are doing. Durham Region Health Dept. must have done their investigation already. Which is why I'm puzzled by the lack of updating the government site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter