Backup plan for Victoria & Albert’s?

Darth Insidious

Mouseketeer
My 12 yo daughter really wants to get all dressed up and go there. We’ve never been anywhere fancy. It’s crazy expensive but I’m looking at it as an experience like building a lightsaber. I know getting a reservation there isn’t guaranteed with the limited tables available. I’m going to try.

What would be your second choice for someone looking for something fancy? Preferably not in a park because she’s really going to want to dress nicely, so her hair, etc, so will do this on a rest day. Thank you for the suggestions!

If it doesn't have to be at GF, then there's Jiko and Flying Fish. They are not as dressy though. There is also Monsieur Paul in Epcot. It's not guaranteed to be dressy either but use to have a stricter dress code. I know that people like to take wedding photos at Topolino's, but it's hard to get into. Unfortunately, the dress code as been laxed at most of these; however, you can always dress up even if most people don't.

V&A is really in a category by itself so it's difficult to think of a close second. Bull & Bear at the Waldorf Astoria (basically between the EPCOT resorts and Disney Springs) is terrific - you get a whole team of servers and there are several different dishes that are prepared tableside. Capa over at the Four Seasons is also fantastic (they earned a Michelin star this year) and the service exquisite. Rooftop views of fireworks are great too and the whole resort is stunning.

Specifically on Disney property, California Grill also offers fireworks views and going up to the rooftop via a special elevator feels fancy (note that it's a prix fixe menu). Flying Fish and Jiko also come to mind as a couple of my favorite signature dining options - also with great service and extra touches like warm towels to wash your hands when you sit down that make you "feel" fancy. Though you're likely to see people in park clothes at any of these.

Hope you have a great time!!

You could do California Grill, Toledo at Coronado Springs, There are upscale restaurants at DS like Jaleo, STK, Morimoto.

I would do California Grill, 1/3 the price, fireworks viewing, people get somewhat dressed up for.

We're doing Monsieur Paul this trip for the dinner without the kids. I considered V&A, Bull and Bear and Capa but landed on MP. Capa was only booking for resort guests over Christmas. I'm looking forward to the experience and being in the park for the atmosphere.

V&A is really in a category by itself so it's difficult to think of a close second. Bull & Bear at the Waldorf Astoria (basically between the EPCOT resorts and Disney Springs) is terrific - you get a whole team of servers and there are several different dishes that are prepared tableside. Capa over at the Four Seasons is also fantastic (they earned a Michelin star this year) and the service exquisite. Rooftop views of fireworks are great too and the whole resort is stunning.

Specifically on Disney property, California Grill also offers fireworks views and going up to the rooftop via a special elevator feels fancy (note that it's a prix fixe menu). Flying Fish and Jiko also come to mind as a couple of my favorite signature dining options - also with great service and extra touches like warm towels to wash your hands when you sit down that make you "feel" fancy. Though you're likely to see people in park clothes at any of these.

Hope you have a great time!!
Definitely open to going off property but nearby. Thank you.

We're doing Monsieur Paul this trip for the dinner without the kids. I considered V&A, Bull and Bear and Capa but landed on MP. Capa was only booking for resort guests over Christmas. I'm looking forward to the experience and being in the park for the atmosphere.
I think she’d like Monsieur Paul since she’s really interested in France and taking French at school, but I wasn’t sure about getting in really fancy clothes then trying to trek into the park. Anyone have experience doing that? I suppose we could at least change shoes once we get there.

I think she’d like Monsieur Paul since she’s really interested in France and taking French at school, but I wasn’t sure about getting in really fancy clothes then trying to trek into the park. Anyone have experience doing that? I suppose we could at least change shoes once we get there.
We ate at Monsieur Paul for NYE one year and have eaten there several other times, including with our son when he was younger. For your daughter, I would recommend dressy comfortable flats or changing shoes. I think I wore either a pair of dressy Clark's flats, great for walking a lot, or a dressy pair of Italian flats. Just make sure she is wearing socks, maybe the tiny no show ones for heals, leotards, or hose. Wearing dressy shoes without socks in the parks is asking for trouble. Accidentally did this for a friend's wedding at AK. She could just bring a change of clothes and keep them in a locker. If she chooses to wear a dress or skirt, bike shorts underneath might make her feel less uncomfortable/exposed. What time of year would this be? Weather could influence what you wear. My husband and son usually just wore nice slacks/khakis and a long sleeve button down shirt that was tucked in. Also, will you be driving or taking Disney transportation?

EDIT: Hold off on Test Track until after you eat, or her hair will be ruined :rotfl2: Depending upon the hair style, a headscarf might help keep in place and a small comb or brush to touch up before eating..

We ate at Monsieur Paul for NYE one year and have eaten there several other times, including with our son when he was younger. For your daughter, I would recommend dressy comfortable flats or changing shoes. I think I wore either a pair of dressy Clark's flats, great for walking a lot, or a dressy pair of Italian flats. Just make sure she is wearing socks, maybe the tiny no show ones for heals, leotards, or hose. Wearing dressy shoes without socks in the parks is asking for trouble. Accidentally did this for a friend's wedding at AK. She could just bring a change of clothes and keep them in a locker. If she chooses to wear a dress or skirt, bike shorts underneath might make her feel less uncomfortable/exposed. What time of year would this be? Weather could influence what you wear. My husband and son usually just wore nice slacks/khakis and a long sleeve button down shirt that was tucked in. Also, will you be driving or taking Disney transportation?

EDIT: Hold off on Test Track until after you eat, or her hair will be ruined :rotfl2: Depending upon the hair style, a headscarf might help keep in place and a small comb or brush to touch up before eating..
Thank you. It will be mid-February. We’ll take a Lyft or Minnie Van.

I think for her, half the fun is doing her hair and makeup and going shopping for a nice dress before we go. If all goes well, I’d get her a manicure at the Shades of Green spa that day, then go to V&A. Not my idea of Disney but I’m sure we will never forget it!

I suspect if we do Monsieur Paul, we’ll go back to the room to get ready and return for dinner. Honestly, that’s the big mark against it. Easier to go to a hotel or Disney Springs. I do think she’d like it though.

Thank you. It will be mid-February. We’ll take a Lyft or Minnie Van.

I suspect if we do Monsieur Paul, we’ll go back to the room to get ready and return for dinner. Honestly, that’s the big mark against it. Easier to go to a hotel or Disney Springs. I do think she’d like it though.
If I were going to do Monsieur Paul, I would rope drop Epcot, stay until 3:30 or so, then go back to the hotel. With a 7:30 reservation, I would then have time to shower, primp, and get dressed up, which can all be part of the fun. I’m old, so would probably also catch a nap. Then take a Minnie Van to Boardwalk or Beach Club and go into Epcot through the International Gateway. France is right there.

Another vote for Bull & Bear. Definitely not as fancy as V&A but a very nice meal where most people get dressed up for the occasion. I'd also put Capa in that category.

Have you considered Citricos? It is also in the Grand Floridian, actually right next to V&A. It is a signature restaurant and I thought the food and service were excellent. The restaurant itself is lovely, with a Mary Poppins theme. Most people wore business casual, but I wouldn’t feel out of place dressing up.

If you are staying at Shades, I would definitely consider the restaurants on the monorail loop - Cali Grill would be my first choice in the area. I think it's a very special experience. You take a special elevator up to the restaurant and the view is absolutely spectacular. This will feel very fancy and special, IMHO. You may also want to consider Narcoosee's, another signature restaurant with a gorgeous view. Especially if you are planning on spending the day in a park - you may want to keep the dinner close to your resort. Otherwise, I would consider Capa - again, the view is spectacular and I feel like that could really add to the experience. If she wants to get really dressed up for the experience, I would hesitate going back into Epcot and trekking all the way back to WS to MP for dinner.

If you are staying at Shades, I would definitely consider the restaurants on the monorail loop - Cali Grill would be my first choice in the area. I think it's a very special experience. You take a special elevator up to the restaurant and the view is absolutely spectacular. This will feel very fancy and special, IMHO. You may also want to consider Narcoosee's, another signature restaurant with a gorgeous view. Especially if you are planning on spending the day in a park - you may want to keep the dinner close to your resort. Otherwise, I would consider Capa - again, the view is spectacular and I feel like that could really add to the experience. If she wants to get really dressed up for the experience, I would hesitate going back into Epcot and trekking all the way back to WS to MP for dinner.
Thank you. As much as I think she’d like Monsieur Paul, I think it would take a huge chunk out of a park day since she really wants to dress up and I think we will do this on a rest day.

Honestly, I think getting dressed in semi-formal or formalwear and feeling like she’s in a fancy place is probably more important to her than the food itself. A big girl princess makeover I guess!

Another vote for Bull & Bear. Definitely not as fancy as V&A but a very nice meal where most people get dressed up for the occasion. I'd also put Capa in that category.
Thank you. As long as it wouldn’t be weird to be dressed up, that should be okay. She’s in middle school and a bit shy, so wouldn’t want to be the only one. I’m too old to care anymore :) I’ll check them out!

Thank you. As much as I think she’d like Monsieur Paul, I think it would take a huge chunk out of a park day since she really wants to dress up and I think we will do this on a rest day.

Honestly, I think getting dressed in semi-formal or formalwear and feeling like she’s in a fancy place is probably more important to her than the food itself. A big girl princess makeover I guess!

It sounds like it will be an absolutely lovely and memorable experience!

Citricos. Flying Fish, Yatchmans, Cali Grill, Jiko, Topolinos, Narcoosses, Monsieur Paul and V&A. They are all very good, and have great meals

Any of those on Disney property you can dress up for without issue. Suits, dresses, whatever. Go for a later seating around 7-8pm. Fri/Sat night will give more of a chance of others dressing up if you believe you might feel out of place ( you won't )

Be prepared for a 3 hour dinner at V&A or longer.

Perhaps make a late reservation at Monsieur Paul. Spend the morning and early afternoon in the park, go back to your resort for an afternoon rest and change of clothes, come back to Epcot for dinner and fireworks in the fancy clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter