Bad experience at Cabana Bay

jolene63

Mouseketeer
We just got back from a week at Universal. We spent the first half of our trip at Cabana Bay and it will most likely be our last. I wanted to share a few things so others might learn from our experiences.

We have stayed at Cabana Bay two other times and were looking forward to our visit. This past year, I had read reports about the rooms being dirty at Cabana Bay and was hoping this was just a few cases and that we wouldn't experience the same. I was wrong! Our room was in rough shape. The bathrooms were the worst. Like our last visit, the shower curtain smelled AWFUL and I dreaded having to shower each day. The water pressure was bad as well. The toilet had dried pee running down the front of it. So gross! The floors were filthy as well and had big spots of something on them. When I cleaned them later in our trip (will explain in a moment) the washcloth was black. It was very obvious that the floors had not been cleaned in awhile.

Our son got sick all over the bathroom one night of our stay. It was awful!!! I went down to the front desk to ask for some cleaning supplies so we could clean it up. They said they would send someone up right away. We get a knock at our door and a staff member just hands me towels. He told me that he couldn't give me anything else. I was shocked so I went back down to the lobby. The person at the desk also stated that they couldn't give my any cleaning supplies. I was shocked. How could they expect us to use this bathroom without disinfecting it? There was vomit everywhere. Luckily, we had a car so my husband was able to drive to a 24 hour Walgreens and buy some Clorox spray and paper towels. I was able to clean it up, but wouldn't have if we hadn't had a car. They did send someone at 10:30 a.m. to clean our bathroom. I sent them away because I had already dealt with the mess. I was surprised it took that long to have someone come though because they didn't know that we had already disinfected the bathroom. They told me they would send someone first thing in the morning. I don't think 10:30 is first thing.

Luckily, we only had one more day there before moving over to Hard Rock. I really wish our stay at Cabana Bay would have been better because we have had fun there in the past. After seeing how gross our room was and the lack of help when we really needed it, I just don't think we could stay there again.

I'm sorry to hear this. We are staying at Cabana Bay next month for 5 nights. I have a question. If your room was in such bad shape when you arrived, why did you accept it? These hotels are not fully booked up. There were certainly other rooms they could have moved you to. Did you go back to the front desk and ask for a room change? A room that dirty was certainly not sanitized properly between guests and doesn't meet Loews hotels cleanliness standards.

Sorry to hear about your son, also. My son has thrown up violently in our bathrooms at home and it is an absolute NIGHTMARE to clean it up. The staff could not give you cleaning chemicals because those are for industrial use and can only be handled by employees. I WOULD have (gross as it sounds) taken a photo of the bathroom down to the front desk, asked to speak to amp manager ASAP, and used the photo to communicate the urgency of the situation. They have night shift housekeepers to handle this kind of thing. You would have needed to leave your room while they cleaned it, but they should have done that for you. What an aggravation. Thankfully you were able to buy some cleaning supplies and handle it so you could continue using the bathroom.

We are planning to bring Clorox wipes with us to clean up any messes we might make, but if our room isn't up to snuff, I will march right back to the lobby and demand another room.

I am sorry to read about your bad experience. We considered staying there this trip among other places. Our current room at Sapphire is perfect and daily housekeeping has been great. I would hope that you do speak to management about your experience.

Yuck, I'm sorry you had a bad experience!

We were there last month and our room was great, I was worried it might not be. Luck of the draw I guess. But of course it shouldn't be, ALL rooms should be clean especially now.

We just got back from a week at Universal. We spent the first half of our trip at Cabana Bay and it will most likely be our last. I wanted to share a few things so others might learn from our experiences.

We have stayed at Cabana Bay two other times and were looking forward to our visit. This past year, I had read reports about the rooms being dirty at Cabana Bay and was hoping this was just a few cases and that we wouldn't experience the same. I was wrong! Our room was in rough shape. The bathrooms were the worst. Like our last visit, the shower curtain smelled AWFUL and I dreaded having to shower each day. The water pressure was bad as well. The toilet had dried pee running down the front of it. So gross! The floors were filthy as well and had big spots of something on them. When I cleaned them later in our trip (will explain in a moment) the washcloth was black. It was very obvious that the floors had not been cleaned in awhile.

Our son got sick all over the bathroom one night of our stay. It was awful!!! I went down to the front desk to ask for some cleaning supplies so we could clean it up. They said they would send someone up right away. We get a knock at our door and a staff member just hands me towels. He told me that he couldn't give me anything else. I was shocked so I went back down to the lobby. The person at the desk also stated that they couldn't give my any cleaning supplies. I was shocked. How could they expect us to use this bathroom without disinfecting it? There was vomit everywhere. Luckily, we had a car so my husband was able to drive to a 24 hour Walgreens and buy some Clorox spray and paper towels. I was able to clean it up, but wouldn't have if we hadn't had a car. They did send someone at 10:30 a.m. to clean our bathroom. I sent them away because I had already dealt with the mess. I was surprised it took that long to have someone come though because they didn't know that we had already disinfected the bathroom. They told me they would send someone first thing in the morning. I don't think 10:30 is first thing.

Luckily, we only had one more day there before moving over to Hard Rock. I really wish our stay at Cabana Bay would have been better because we have had fun there in the past. After seeing how gross our room was and the lack of help when we really needed it, I just don't think we could stay there again.
Ohh wow. You need to write all this to universal. They need to know how nasty the room.was. I wonder if the shower curtain was smelly after being unused while the hotel was closed? No excuse, but..
I'm betting that they won't give out cleaning supplies because of liability issues. If you poison yourself or your kids with their stuff they could be legally liable. Blame stupid people, and those that look for reasons to sue.
Your report just makes me sad, I hope they are not letting cabana bay go downhill, it has been a popular budget choice.

I'm sorry to hear this. We are staying at Cabana Bay next month for 5 nights. I have a question. If your room was in such bad shape when you arrived, why did you accept it? These hotels are not fully booked up. There were certainly other rooms they could have moved you to. Did you go back to the front desk and ask for a room change? A room that dirty was certainly not sanitized properly between guests and doesn't meet Loews hotels cleanliness standards.

Sorry to hear about your son, also. My son has thrown up violently in our bathrooms at home and it is an absolute NIGHTMARE to clean it up. The staff could not give you cleaning chemicals because those are for industrial use and can only be handled by employees. I WOULD have (gross as it sounds) taken a photo of the bathroom down to the front desk, asked to speak to amp manager ASAP, and used the photo to communicate the urgency of the situation. They have night shift housekeepers to handle this kind of thing. You would have needed to leave your room while they cleaned it, but they should have done that for you. What an aggravation. Thankfully you were able to buy some cleaning supplies and handle it so you could continue using the bathroom.

We are planning to bring Clorox wipes with us to clean up any messes we might make, but if our room isn't up to snuff, I will march right back to the lobby and demand another room.
We did talk to the night manager. He said they do not have housekeepers at night to clean and that he would send someone down when they got there in the morning. I was so surprised by this. They didn't show up until 10:30. Also, he said the hotel was completely booked up and there were no rooms he could move us to.

• Wow
Reactions: shh
We did talk to the night manager. He said they do not have housekeepers at night to clean and that he would send someone down when they got there in the morning. I was so surprised by this. They didn't show up until 10:30. Also, he said the hotel was completely booked up and there were no rooms he could move us to.

Hmm...that's not good. For what it's worth in the future, the line "we are completely booked up and there are no available rooms" line is BS. Always. They say this because it's a hassle for them to switch your room. It's never actually true. They have "emergency inventory" rooms in case a room has a massive problem like a plumbing issue or broken A/C. If you ever hear this again, politely push them to find you a room, if not there, at a neighboring resort. A dirty room at check in with no option for housekeeping is unacceptable. I encourage you to reach out to Loews and let them know about all the things you encountered. They should offer you some sort of resolution.

Hmm...that's not good. For what it's worth in the future, the line "we are completely booked up and there are no available rooms" line is BS. Always. They say this because it's a hassle for them to switch your room. It's never actually true. They have "emergency inventory" rooms in case a room has a massive problem like a plumbing issue or broken A/C. If you ever hear this again, politely push them to find you a room, if not there, at a neighboring resort. A dirty room at check in with no option for housekeeping is unacceptable. I encourage you to reach out to Loews and let them know about all the things you encountered. They should offer you some sort of resolution.
Do you know how I can reach out to Loews? I was almost in tears I was so upset that night. I truly couldn't believe there was nothing they could do to help. We even asked if we could move to Hard Rock a day early because we were going there next. The night manager said that everyone was sold out. I have never experienced anything like this so I assumed there was nothing we could do.

Do you know how I can reach out to Loews? I was almost in tears I was so upset that night. I truly couldn't believe there was nothing they could do to help. We even asked if we could move to Hard Rock a day early because we were going there next. The night manager said that everyone was sold out. I have never experienced anything like this so I assumed there was nothing we could do.

https://www.loewshotels.com/contact-us

that's not acceptable, and we love Cabana Bay. When we checked in in June our room had not been cleaned - like dirty dishes on the counter and beds unmade not cleaned. My DH called the front desk and we were immediately moved. I know the hotel was "sold out" as I kept checking the rates and there was no availability when we were there. I agree on the BS. The night manager just didn't want to move you.

We were going to stay here in late August, but this review along with NUMEROUS others on various places are all pointing to some massive failures with management such that we don't want to take the risk. Looking into other options now. Thank you. OP, for your honest review.

I had a terrible experience at Cabana Bay as well this past May. The shower was totally not functional and there was blood in the sheets on the freshly-made bed. It took 3 hours and 2 trips to the lobby at 11pm to sort out. They offered to move us to a different resort for the night, but the inconvenience of that move so late was unacceptable. They ended up sending maintenance at 1:30am so we had running water.

The overflowing garbage cans in the public areas and the used swim diapers in the floor of the lazy River pool bathroom sealed the deal.

Never Again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter