Bad Experience

ronniereb

Disney Fanatic
Anyone ever had a bad experience with DVC. We just retruned from a quick 4 night stay at the BWV and our accomodations were horrendous. It was certainly the first bad experience we've had with DVC. I sent an e-mail through their website to voice my displeasure but I was wondering if there was any other direction I should take.

It would be helpful if you could explain what you found to be horrendous and why. I personally had one very bad experience with a one bedroom unit overlooking the Village Green area on the 4th floor about 2 years ago. The room didn't have hot or even warm water for the whole 5 nite stay. We tried to move but were told the BW was full. We had maintenace come up several times and lost alot of time on vacation and it was ultimately never fixed. we were given a dinner and two nites comp in a one bedroom which we haven't used yet. It made me very angry to have spent that much money and have to suffer through a horrible experience. All my other stays have been fairly good with minor housekeeping issues that got resolved in a satisfactory manner. I'm sorry you also had a bad experience and hope you will have a better experience next time. It's important to let everyone know the problem so it will get fixed for the future. Again it shouldn't happen at all.

Joan

We were for some reason given a handicapped accessible room. That in itself would not be a major problem but I have always said one of my favorite things about the villas is the huge shower and with the seat in there and the curtain as opposed to the glass doors it was just not the same. The shower itself was dirty and because of the handicapped access the water would flow out into the the bathroom. When we tried to mop it up with the mop provided it was like trying to use a paper towel. The sponge on the mop was so old and tattered it would not absorb anything. The kitchen area was worse, the fridge had grease spatters all over it, (I am sure from previous people cooking), it looked like it had not been cleaned in months. we did not even want to cook there it looked so gross. Since we were only there for 4 nites, and had arrived very late the first nite I did not want to ave to ask to move and start wasting the very little time we had. But the more I thought about the more upset I got. I would be embarassed if my house looked like that.

popcorn::

This will be good. (The BWV Protection Society will be out in force soon)

The DIS is the place where I was once called a "problem guest" for expecting my room at CSR to have POWER! LOL! I don't know but it's summer in Florida and I wanted A/C!

The handicapped room is not something we can control but everything else should be written up in a letter to management. I would have called the maintenance manager to document my complaints. It wouldn't make your stay any more pleasant but it might fix the problem for the next guest. They might have moved you if they could or given you some form of compensation. I know the compensation didn't make me feel better as my trip was not the best it could be but at least I can get a couple nights this next trip,. I chose to make them the weekend nights to save points for my upcoming trip. I won't be using the room myself as this is my family reunion time and my family uses this unit. Joan

I don't know that I would call your room horrendous. It seems you had two problems.

1) Handicap Room. Well, those rooms are included by law in the timeshare. If it was the only room of that size left available, there was little BWV could do. As far as the sponge mop, a call to housekeeping should have solved the problem with a replacement.

2) Inadequate cleaning by housekeeping. This is a case where you should have made your complaint known immediately to the housekeeping supervisor and requested that the unit be recleaned. While certainly no one should heck into an improperly cleaned room, complaining later will not do nearly as much good as addressing the situation then and there. All DVC or Disney can do after the fact is basically say "thank you for brining it to our attention."

Since this is, in effect, a room /trip report I am moving it to the Mousecellaneous board.

popcorn::

I was once called a "problem guest" for expecting my room at CSR to have POWER! LOL! I don't know but it's summer in Florida and I wanted A/C!
SHEESH- they have pool where you could go to cool off- not to mention FREE ice machines-- you picky, picky person.

OP- I am sorry you had such a dirty room. That really stinks- I wonder about the units with a full kitchen- I sometimes think they just may get TOO lived in.

SHEESH- they have pool where you could go to cool off- not to mention FREE ice machines-- you picky, picky person.

OP- I am sorry you had such a dirty room. That really stinks- I wonder about the units with a full kitchen- I sometimes think they just may get TOO lived in.

:rotfl2: You sound like the front desk clerk "Can't you live with it tonight?" NO! I wanted lights, AC and a phone. (Heck I couldn't even tell if the room was dirty I couldn't see the dang thing!. Disney phones require power to work LOL!) I asked the kid if he wanted to stay in the sauna all night.

(The manager was actually even better he claimed I had power and was lying to get an upgrade. So I drug his behind to the DARK room where he acted like I broke it. I heard him say to another CM "you know I don't like dealing with guests" WHAT?)

To the OP. Handicapped is not a complaint. Everything else is but I agree the time to complain is then not later, it's generally much more effective plus it does not leave the problem for the next guest.

We also had a bad housekeeping experience last year. We called Housekeeping and nothing was done. It wasn't until DH went down to the front desk the next day that Housekeeping called us back.

The bad experience continued, and on Trash and Towel day they just left all the towels piled up on the tub, and didn't replace any of the supplies (like soap in the bathroom).

While I liked the location of BWV, I was less than thrilled with Housekeeping.

My August stay at BCV beats yours. I did finally get comped a few nights and a lunch but spent three days fielding phone calls and maintenence visits. The water from the shower flooding the bathroom took them three trips to fix. I got a smoking, handicapped, wet carpet, broken balcony door and broken shower room. Shame on me for complaining. popcorn::

One of my DVC contracts is on the market as a result. You could do a search of my visit if you could still do a search! :scared:

I don't know that I would call your room horrendous. It seems you had two problems.

1) Handicap Room. Well, those rooms are included by law in the timeshare. If it was the only room of that size left available, there was little BWV could do. As far as the sponge mop, a call to housekeeping should have solved the problem with a replacement.

2) Inadequate cleaning by housekeeping. This is a case where you should have made your complaint known immediately to the housekeeping supervisor and requested that the unit be recleaned. While certainly no one should heck into an improperly cleaned room, complaining later will not do nearly as much good as addressing the situation then and there. All DVC or Disney can do after the fact is basically say "thank you for brining it to our attention."

Since this is, in effect, a room /trip report I am moving it to the Mousecellaneous board.

I highly doubt this was the only room they had of this type in January, it may have been given to us because we had requested something near the elevator. As far as not complaining immediately, you are correct I should have, but that does not make it OK and I certainly believe DVC can do more that say thnk you for bringing it to our attention. And if you had seen that kitchen you would call it horrendous

I highly doubt this was the only room they had of this type in January, it may have been given to us because we had requested something near the elevator. As far as not complaining immediately, you are correct I should have, but that does not make it OK and I certainly believe DVC can do more that say thnk you for bringing it to our attention. And if you had seen that kitchen you would call it horrendous

So, just what are you looking for DVC to do for you? I mean, the handicap room, again, is legally considered part of the timeshare. You requested close to the elevator.

As far as room cleanliness, I said it should not have happened, but what do you really expect Disney to do for you now? Are you looking for compensation, like returned points or a free stay?

My August stay at BCV beats yours. I did finally get comped a few nights and a lunch but spent three days fielding phone calls and maintenence visits. The water from the shower flooding the bathroom took them three trips to fix. I got a smoking, handicapped, wet carpet, broken balcony door and broken shower room. Shame on me for complaining. popcorn::

One of my DVC contracts is on the market as a result. You could do a search of my visit if you could still do a search! :scared:

You sold as a result of one bad stay or was this a combination of factors?

To put it simply yes, for the 1,000 dollars I pay a year in annual dues I do not think it is too much to ask to have a clean room.

We were for some reason given a handicapped accessible room. That in itself would not be a major problem but I have always said one of my favorite things about the villas is the huge shower and with the seat in there and the curtain as opposed to the glass doors it was just not the same. The shower itself was dirty and because of the handicapped access the water would flow out into the the bathroom. When we tried to mop it up with the mop provided it was like trying to use a paper towel. The sponge on the mop was so old and tattered it would not absorb anything. The kitchen area was worse, the fridge had grease spatters all over it, (I am sure from previous people cooking), it looked like it had not been cleaned in months. we did not even want to cook there it looked so gross. Since we were only there for 4 nites, and had arrived very late the first nite I did not want to ave to ask to move and start wasting the very little time we had. But the more I thought about the more upset I got. I would be embarassed if my house looked like that.

We had the same thing happen with the HC room. But we moved the next day and got a nice view and all. I was well worth the move but it did kind of put a damper on the exciting arrival.

Can't argue Ron on that one! :surfweb:

Thank you, I don't think I am being unreasonable. It's not like I am a chronic complainer and have always had nothing but good things to say. Yes, I should have called it to their attention immediately but by me not doing so does not absolve them of the problem.

To put it simply yes, for the 1,000 dollars I pay a year in annual dues I do not think it is too much to ask to have a clean room.

Given that a full housekeeping day in a one bedroom unit is $35, I don't see DVC refunding points for your stay based on a housekeeping complaint. If you had addressed the issue at the time, I would have expected a free full housekeeping.

The only DVC housekeeping complaint I have ever had was at BWV. There was poop smeared on the door frame to the bathroom.

I called housekeeping immediately, just to let them know how disgusting it was.

I really feel that housekeeping needs to know that rooms are not being cleaned to a certain standard. If we don't tell them, how will they know? I don't think the maids are going back to their supervisor's and telling them they skipped over wiping down the fridge, or they ignored a poop smear.

Given that a full housekeeping day in a one bedroom unit is $35, I don't see DVC refunding points for your stay based on a housekeeping complaint. If you had addressed the issue at the time, I would have expected a free full housekeeping.

So since I did not complain immediately I should just grin and bear it. Well that is not the way I am and if they choose to do nothing then that is a poor reflection on them. Forgive me for wanting to take my kids to the parks instead of spending time during my vacation complaining about the room. Maybe I'll just deduct the $35 from my next annual dues statement. I am not trying to be a troublemaker, there was a severe issue with my room, I pointed it out to member services and I simply wanted to see if there were any similar stories and what the DVC did for those folks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter