• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

bad experience

Don't get me wrong I love WDW and recently tried the Cruise exp also. Did not like the experience this time after 20 yrs of going the cruise was a total bust very rough sea to point of people getting sick merch falling off shelves onto my spouse bruising her, limited shopping onboard, Nassau rain ( know no control there) . WDW after that Kids running rampant in pool area without parents 4yr to 12 playing in adult hot tub without supervision (nowhere to be found) in late night .

I had a strange experience at Nacoosee which I described elsewhere. A party rudely demanding silence on the outside balcony while watching fireworks and then taking great exception to my family speaking to each other in Welsh. Also while at a restaurant at UOR, as I was eating, a lady proceeded to jab her finger in front of my face three or four times to indicate to the waiter the table she wanted. My son also noticed that when he held a door open for an elderly lady, she scowled at him, rather than smile or acknowledge his action. Nitpicking and other than that we had a fabulous three weeks. 😀

The only bad experiences at WDW has more to do with other guests and not Disney. Loud adults talking about their personal ( sometimes VERY personal) lives that they want to share with the entire table service restaurant. I just want to get through a nice expensive meal without hearing about your colonoscopy, girlfriend gossip, or your recent psychiatry visit.

the cruise was a total bust very rough sea to point of people getting sick
WDW after that Kids running rampant in pool area without parents
4yr to 12 playing in adult hot tub without supervision (nowhere to be found) in late night .
Just like the rain in Nassau, these experiences can't really be blamed on Disney. They can't control the ocean, and the other two issues are 100% on the parents. Even if there were lifeguards, they're not babysitters.
merch falling off shelves onto my spouse bruising her
It's too bad your spouse was injured...
limited shopping onboard
...but probably shopping (if you mean store hours) was limited specifically because of that?

Nothing major. Our food took oddly long to come out at BOG lunch last week and in our last of three trips to Oga's we were "seated" right in front of the emergency exit door with access to only maybe 2' of counter along the wall for 6 people.

When we were in Disney 2 weeks ago, housekeeping knocked on the door at 8am and then tried to get in! I barely got to the door to NOT let them in as we were barely awake. I called the front desk to make sure it was a Disney person to see if Housekeeping is working that early and they said yes. Note to self - put the latch on the door!

I've noticed on other sites and Facebook that it seems lately that Housekeeping is doing that at all hours of the day and night. For some reason, on Facebook, these sites that are not official Disney pages, are cutting off the comments or deleting the total post. One person had housekeeping trying to get in their room at 10pm! I know they come in to inspect the room every day and do trash but not at those hours.

I have to say my experience at MK this July was not real magical and I had a awful monorail/security experience that caused me to miss all of EmH at Epcot on my last day visiting that park.

MK seemed under staffed And did not appear to be running rides at capacity because of it. HM had an 80 minute wait an hour after park opening and much as I love HM, that is nuts outside of a holiday week And the wait for SDD was 80 for comparison. BTMRR was only using one train my entire stay so even my FP had a 30 minute wait and my Space MT FP took the same. The air wasn’t working properly in most rides, especially Space Mt and there was trash all through the queues there and at HM. I asked on another page if any had an idea what was wrong because the other three parks were fine, but got shamed for finding fault because 30 minutes for a FP was at least not 60. My point there was that I waited 30 for a FP on BTMRR but all my FOP FPs took me only as long as hiking up it took. CMs at Epcot were commenting about how dead it was that week. So the problem was MK specific, not an overcrowding issue, it was just not a fun place to be during my visit for whatever reason.

Then came the monorail. I waited 20 minutes for it to show to get from TTC (I was at the Poly and walked over) to Epcot. Guests who were there ahead of me were getting rightly angry and finally the CMs admitted they were doing a test of it. It crawled in slower than I could walk, powered down to reboot from manual to auto and sat there another 10 minutes. I had gotten to the platform at 8:10 and got to Epcot at 8:50 where they made us do bag check where bag free typically is Even though normal bag check was functioning and had short lines. They were super slow and it started to pour. I got stuck half under the tent so there was both rain and water running off the tent roof pouring down my back. I used my umbrella because I was stuck there not moving for 10 minutes and the guard shouted at me that I couldn’t be under the tent with it, put it away. But I wasn’t under the tent Which was why I needed it. Got through that nightmare only to have the CM at turnstyle yell at me about my umbrella not being allowed under the overhang while I was still in line and not under the overhang.

Needless to say while I waited in line for Soarin having missed all of EMH I emailed guest services to ask why guests at the 3 most expensive hotels on property missed EMH because the ONLY way we had to get to Epcot was being tested during it. Three days after I got home they responded but their answer was to someone else’s complaint about problems getting to Epcot instead of mine. When I corrected them, they blamed Epcot construction for the alternate bag check location??? Even though that was the only day I had this security issue. And then said of course they test the monorail during EMH because few people go and it’s a good time (how about before or after park close folks?) even though my point was at $$$$ per night I should have a way to Epcot EMH. I would happily have gotten on a bus had they provided one.

It ended the trip on a sour note

I have to say my experience at MK this July was not real magical and I had a awful monorail/security experience that caused me to miss all of EmH at Epcot on my last day visiting that park.

MK seemed under staffed And did not appear to be running rides at capacity because of it. HM had an 80 minute wait an hour after park opening and much as I love HM, that is nuts outside of a holiday week And the wait for SDD was 80 for comparison. BTMRR was only using one train my entire stay so even my FP had a 30 minute wait and my Space MT FP took the same. The air wasn’t working properly in most rides, especially Space Mt and there was trash all through the queues there and at HM. I asked on another page if any had an idea what was wrong because the other three parks were fine, but got shamed for finding fault because 30 minutes for a FP was at least not 60. My point there was that I waited 30 for a FP on BTMRR but all my FOP FPs took me only as long as hiking up it took. CMs at Epcot were commenting about how dead it was that week. So the problem was MK specific, not an overcrowding issue, it was just not a fun place to be during my visit for whatever reason.

Then came the monorail. I waited 20 minutes for it to show to get from TTC (I was at the Poly and walked over) to Epcot. Guests who were there ahead of me were getting rightly angry and finally the CMs admitted they were doing a test of it. It crawled in slower than I could walk, powered down to reboot from manual to auto and sat there another 10 minutes. I had gotten to the platform at 8:10 and got to Epcot at 8:50 where they made us do bag check where bag free typically is Even though normal bag check was functioning and had short lines. They were super slow and it started to pour. I got stuck half under the tent so there was both rain and water running off the tent roof pouring down my back. I used my umbrella because I was stuck there not moving for 10 minutes and the guard shouted at me that I couldn’t be under the tent with it, put it away. But I wasn’t under the tent Which was why I needed it. Got through that nightmare only to have the CM at turnstyle yell at me about my umbrella not being allowed under the overhang while I was still in line and not under the overhang.

Needless to say while I waited in line for Soarin having missed all of EMH I emailed guest services to ask why guests at the 3 most expensive hotels on property missed EMH because the ONLY way we had to get to Epcot was being tested during it. Three days after I got home they responded but their answer was to someone else’s complaint about problems getting to Epcot instead of mine. When I corrected them, they blamed Epcot construction for the alternate bag check location??? Even though that was the only day I had this security issue. And then said of course they test the monorail during EMH because few people go and it’s a good time (how about before or after park close folks?) even though my point was at $$$$ per night I should have a way to Epcot EMH. I would happily have gotten on a bus had they provided one.

It ended the trip on a sour note
Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

Don't get me wrong I love WDW and recently tried the Cruise exp also. Did not like the experience this time after 20 yrs of going the cruise was a total bust very rough sea to point of people getting sick merch falling off shelves onto my spouse bruising her, limited shopping onboard, Nassau rain ( know no control there) . WDW after that Kids running rampant in pool area without parents 4yr to 12 playing in adult hot tub without supervision (nowhere to be found) in late night .

Sadly you cant control the seas or the weather. As for the shopping, all the ships descriptions of on board amenities are online to check before you choose a cruise.

As for parenting, Im not sure there is a right and wrong way. Im a helicopter mother. My kids are not (were not - 2 of 3 are adults now) out of my sight ever. "dont do this, thats dangerous, be careful, dont touch" came out of my mouth daily. Now my adult children go through life with a lot of caution. I know, my fault. My neighbor has a son and when he was 2, he was in their pool alone. I was dying, felt like I needed to keep an eye on him. When he was about 5, he was mowing their lawn! At about 7, he was using the snowblower to clear their driveway. I was glued to my window 24/7. Well, the kid is now 16, still alive, and can use a lawnmower, snow blower, changes the oil in their cars, fixes anything, builds anything, can converse with any adult on their level, etc.... Sometimes growing up with extreme independence can be a good thing....if they live through it!

Last edited:
limited shopping onboard,
Do you mean that the shops were closed for a lot of the trip? We had that also and it's because the shops were not allowed to be open when the ship was in Port due to regulations in the Bahamas. We had a very rainy Nassau day also and chose to stay onboard and I wish I could have done my shopping while my kids were busy in the kids clubs.

I’ve had bad experiences, only one of which stands out as something bad enough, and within Disney’s control to have not happened in the first place, that it’s something I will not repeat (I’m looking at you, Poly CL). Otherwise, I find that our negative experiences aren’t things that make me not to want to return. The magic of being at WDW outweighs the few rough moments we’ve experienced. I think many people on this board will tell you they’ve had bad experiences — I imagine it’s almost impossible to have completely a flawless Disney vacation.

We had a not great start to our trip this year but it was sorted out eventually and though it put a damper on the beginning of the trip it didn’t ruin the trip or make me feel like I didn’t want to go back to WDW in fact we booked our next trip after being home only 2 weeks. No way is everything always going to turn out to be all sunshine and rainbows even at Disney but it also doesn’t mean negative things that happen should have to ruin your entire trip.

Just like the rain in Nassau, these experiences can't really be blamed on Disney. They can't control the ocean, and the other two issues are 100% on the parents. Even if there were lifeguards, they're not babysitters.

It's too bad your spouse was injured...

...but probably shopping (if you mean store hours) was limited specifically because of that?

The shopping on the DCL is limited in terms of selection and in terms of time that the shops are open. Delta once lost my luggage en route to a Disney cruise and I had to replace my clothes onboard. Consequently, I wore nothing but Disney merch until we docked in St. Maarten and I was reunited with my suitcase. There’s not a vast selection of merchandise to choose from on Disney ships, but that’s true of most cruise lines. Retail space is at a premium and the shops have to be closed while the ship is in port, so there’s never much of an assortment.

As for bad experiences at the parks, we’ve had some other guests behave weirdly, but CMs are always delightful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter