Bad meal at Olivia's

Belle5

DIS Veteran
As some of you may recall my DH goes to Orlando about once a month on business. I try to post his little mini reviews especially if he tries some place new. We like our little system as it helps us rule out or add places to spend our own family vacation dollars during our WDW vacations. The only meal our family has had at Olivia's was for a character breakfast years back. We wanted to scope it out for a future dinner. Tonight DH had his only totally lackluster dining experience ever on WDW property. Here are the details he gave me.

His server was Holli--would not recommend--not friendly--unattentative

potato--lukewarm

meal served on cold plate--made veggies cold

9 oz. prime rib--fatty otherwise unremarkable

veggies--onion, carrots, squash, zucchini (grilled) nothing special
cappuccino creme brulee --served in coffee cup with an 1 1/2 inches of custard and inch of whipped cream with carmelized sugar between those layers. Little flavor--not worth money.

coffee-decent Columbian--difficult to obtain refill

overall-not up to WDW standards--worst WDW meal ever

This is the quality he would expect from a cheap cafeteria--not at a WDW resort.

Couldn't get a ressie at Yacht Club Galley--wishes he would have waited on stand-by!

Hope this helps someone with their planning! :wave2:

Sounds like a really disappointing meal! Too bad!

We ate at Olivia's about 18 months ago and really enjoyed it. The food was tasty, the service professional, and the ambience was quiet and pleasant - a nice respite from the excitement of our day in the park.

Thanks for the review!

Call me Dsney stupid, been going almost every yr sine I was 17 1/2 and now at 47 have no clue where Olivas is? I am so ashamed of myself for not knowing :(

Olivias is the sit down restaurant at Old Key West. I have found it hit and miss. Nothing remarkable, but usually not bad either.

We're OKW regulars and couldn't recommend Olivias unless you're too tired to go elsewhere after a day in the parks. The food's expensive for what it is...

Sorry to hear about hour husbands experience at Olivia's. We just got back from a 10 day stay at OKW and ate there a few times. There were 8 of us ranging in age from 14-84. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there and had no complaints. We especially liked the chips served with the shrimp and artiichoke dip. Our servers were friendly and professional.
We ate at a number of other places too and it was one of our favorites.:)
I gained 5 pounds on this trip so I don't think any of the food was to bad!;)
Have a magical day!
::MinnieMo

Montana Minnies,
I totally believe you had wonderful meals there! The only reason I suggested DH dine there is because I had read many positive things about Olivia's. I think it's important to read all kinds of reviews, however, in order to best judge whether or not a place is worth trying. :wave2:

Sorry your DH had such a bad experience ~ Thanx for sharing.

"I suggested DH dine there is because I had read many positive things about Olivia's. I think it's important to read all kinds of reviews, however, in order to best judge whether or not a place is worth trying."

And I believe each of us should make our own judgment about things, based on own encounters, rather than relying on someone else's one time experience. I would not form a positive, or negative, impression of something, just because someone reported one way or the other. One of the big problems of letting reviews dictate your activities is the tendency of people to report things that didn't go well, and remain silent about things that went as expected---it leads to an excess of negative comments. JMHO>>>>>Hope you-all have better luck next time.:smooth:

jctwizzer,
I have been on these boards for years and I have not found what you say to be the case. I think folks around here report the full range of experiences--not just the negative. As a matter of fact you will see that I posted two glowing reviews for this week. Actually, if what you say is your opinion--I'm kind of surprised you wasted your time reading my review. ;) Honestly, there are those of us who watch these reports to weigh the trends. If a restaurant consistantly receives reviews like the one I posted here, I am going to steer clear. If, however, it only received one or two of these reviews (negative) and the rest are positive--I am much more likely to try the place myself. One of the most interesting trends I have observed over the past 5 years or so would be the reviews on Nine Dragons. The reviews for that restaurant used to be horrible! (Even to the point of reviewers talking about birds pooping in the restaurant!) I have in the past year or so watched the review trends for Nine Dragons totally change. (Someone even mentioned there is a new chef.) Now, I find myself seriously considering a meal there. I really, really appreciate those who take the time to post about their experience. I hate finding out the hard way that a restaurant offers a less than satisfactory dining experience! My family would probably not walk out of Nine Dragons for less than $180 for dinner--and to me--that is well worth looking into ahead of time whether that would most likely be money well spent. :D

I agree that it is important to hear all reviews of a restaurant. WHile not everyone's taste or experiences will be the same,like the OP said the trends are important. When I read reviews I take many things into consideration. Keep the reviews coming, they're helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter