Bad Mother's Day.....

mickeysaver

<font color=blue>WINNER of the world's worst limer
Being that the only kids that we have are fur-kids, today has been a real bummer. If it wasn't bad enough that Gabby was only home for roughly 48 hours this weekend before having to head out on the road again for business for the next 4 days, our hamster died.

Chip was not the average hamster. He was truly a part of our family. I have never had a hamster that liked being handled before, but Chip loved it. He also loved running all over our kitchen in his purple ball. I can honestly say that if all hamsters were as sweet as he was, everyone would want a hamster for a pet.

I will try to remember him as that sweet little guy on the upper level of tanks at Petco that was looking down at us, like "Hey you! Up here. Don't you think that I should go home with you? I am so cute. Don't you think that I am cute? Please take me home!" I will try to remember him running all over the kitchen in his ball entertaining us, as well as our family and friends.

Right now, I am haunted by the all too disturbing memory of how bad he looked in the last 24 hours. I knew that he had been rather low quiet over the past week and had not been eating like usual, but he still was happy to see a couple of raisins in his dish, so I didn't worry too much. He was 4 years old, which is old for a hamster. But, last night his eyes were super nasty infected and it was obvious that he had lost weight and was somewhat dehydrated. Despite my best efforts, his eyes were too far gone to do much more than just try to make him more comfortable. We cleaned out his cage and instead of digging a burrow in the corner, he ran laps around his cage all night long. Over the course of about a 2 hours, he went into a steady decline. He died as I held him. At least I know that his pain ended and that Gabby was here to say goodbye to him too. We both have been crying on and off over the situation since yesterday. We just loved that little rascal so much.

We buried Chip in the backyard next to our dearly departed Asian Firebellied Toad, Fred. God bless Chip. If there is a hamster heaven, I pray they let Chip in. Maggie

MickeySaver you have my condolences. I had lost a pet, 2 yrs this July, and I it was tough. Now we have 2 guinea pigs and I'm not looking forward to when they go. :grouphug: It's tough losing the little guys.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, loosing a pet can be devistating!

Hig hug to you. :grouphug:

We have numerous pets in the back yard, and something we like to do is get a little statue for them, an angel, something like that. It's nice to be able to go out in the yard to say hi.

Try visiting the www.petloss.com chat room. A few DIS'ers have gone there and it does help. Please, read the story called 'The Rainbow Bridge'. Google it or something, it helps - trust me.
Sorry for your loss,
paw: Emily

Oh, God bless Chip - and you all. We never intended to, but through a strange set of circumstances we once owned two guinea pigs, Schmoo and Chase, who loved their balls! I'm so sorry for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter