Bad Valentine’s Day Gifts

I guess I'm just built different because my boyfriend (now husband) bought me a vaccuum for Valentine's Day when we were first dating. I loved it because I needed one and he didn't ask what I wanted, just observed what I needed and got it. To me, it seems rude to poo poo any gift that your spouse/significant other gets you.

I feel the same way. I once got a little tool set for Valentine's Day. He remembered me saying I wanted one . That to me is gift enough :) He can get me anything if it makes my life easier!

Here's the thing - it is perfectly acceptable to buy someone a vacuum cleaner if they need one - but not for their birthday or Valentines Day, etc. You get them that just because, and you still have to come up with something else for the ocassion, even if it is smaller or less expensive, etc. Even I know this and I've never had a Valentine to give something like that to.

Call me old fashion, but a vacuum cleaner or crock pot or any such household appliance is a house gift. For Valentines day or birthday, it should be something personal.

I guess I'm just built different because my boyfriend (now husband) bought me a vaccuum for Valentine's Day when we were first dating. I loved it because I needed one and he didn't ask what I wanted, just observed what I needed and got it. To me, it seems rude to poo poo any gift that your spouse/significant other gets you.
While I understand the sentiment, I disagree.

I have gotten some spectacularly bad gifts from my husband over the years. I do not wear necklaces, but he has gotten me 3 heart necklaces over our 40+ year relationship. How many heart necklaces does a woman need? He really struggles to give good gifts.

On the plus side, he did a great job this year. Flowers, chocolate covered strawberries, dinner out, a bag full of personal products from Lush and a foot massage with said product!

I guess I'm a weirdo because I just would like something my husband noticed I wanted.

Agree. However, I've been married nearly 32 years. I really don't like roses, especially red roses -- I just like daisies or tulips. I tell my husband throughout the year (and my daughter tells him), but nearly every Mother's Day and Valentine's Day I receive red roses, because HE likes red roses. I don't say anything negative when he gives them to me because that would be really rude, but each time it hurts, because he obviously never hears me.

I'm not griping about the flowers -- I see them as him trying to be sweet, but I really wish he'd just listen.

Call me old fashion, but a vacuum cleaner or crock pot or any such household appliance is a house gift. For Valentines day or birthday, it should be something personal.

Ok, you're old fashioned :flower3:

I like to cook, I love fancy cookware that I won't just go out and buy myself. If dh came home with a new ALL Clad pan, or another piece of Le Creuset, like the limited edition BATB soup pot, I'd be in heaven.
I'd take practical housewares over candy, flowers or jewelry any day but especially Valentines when the prices are jacked up for that stuff because they know desperate husbands will spend anything :laughing:

DH used to work in a department with a lot of women. He would hear these women fuss and complain and gripe about their husband/boyfriend every day of the year. BUT on Valentine's Day said BF or DH was "the sweetest thing ever, I love him so much, he's wonderful" on Valentine's Day IF they got the right flowers from the right florist. He used to chuckle about it very year. DH is good to me everyday and usually gets me flowers, candy and a card every year for Valentine's Day. But even if he didn't, he would still be awesome! :lovestruc

One year near Valentine’s Day when I was a broke college student, I got a notice in my mailbox that the post office had something for me. Color me excited! When I went there they said I had a piece of mail that I needed to pay extra postage for. It was a Valentine’s Day card from my mother, and the reason it needed extra postage was because she had included my credit card statement (normally sent to my parent’s house) that I needed to pay. The balance owed was around $12. Forty years later I still tease my mom about her “gift” to me. 🤣🤣

Agree. However, I've been married nearly 32 years. I really don't like roses, especially red roses -- I just like daisies or tulips. I tell my husband throughout the year (and my daughter tells him), but nearly every Mother's Day and Valentine's Day I receive red roses, because HE likes red roses. I don't say anything negative when he gives them to me because that would be really rude, but each time it hurts, because he obviously never hears me.

I'm not griping about the flowers -- I see them as him trying to be sweet, but I really wish he'd just listen.

I 100% understand, that's why I said something I like or want. I don't particularly care for roses either! That would be really irritating especially since it's been communicated in multiple times and multiple ways. Just buy the darn daisies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter