Bag check line

AllyElly

Mouseketeer
We went to MK on Friday Sept 21 and arrived at 8:00 am for EMH. The bag check line was horrible and took almost an hour to get through so we missed the whole EMH.

We are going again in a few weeks and I was just wondering if the bag check line always took this long or if it was just a fluke for that previous day we went.

The bag check line taking an hour is a fluke but it's always long... 20 to 30 min wait would not suprise me. I always trie to go without a bag.

We went to MK on Friday Sept 21 and arrived at 8:00 am for EMH. The bag check line was horrible and took almost an hour to get through so we missed the whole EMH.

We are going again in a few weeks and I was just wondering if the bag check line always took this long or if it was just a fluke for that previous day we went.

Wow, I've never experienced it that long. Was this at the park entrance where the resort buses drop off? I always have a bag and sometimes take Disney transportation but usually drive. They do security at the TTC now which hasn't been bad when I've been there.

Wow, I've never experienced it that long. Was this at the park entrance where the resort buses drop off? I always have a bag and sometimes take Disney transportation but usually drive. They do security at the TTC now which hasn't been bad when I've been there.

Yes, it was where the buses drop off. I hadn’t been in awhile, but never remember it being that bad. The security guard at my line was triple checking bags so it was taking forever and people were starting to get upset. Next time we have kids going so I will definitely have a bag and just want to make sure I’m prepared if it’s going to be a wait. We didn’t have an issue at any other park, just MK.

Yeah, curious how you arrived. It is not normal to hear of security waits that bad at MK, generally speaking.

That is crazy! I can't say that I have ever waited more than 10 minutes. Were all the tables not open?

Maybe they had received a threat or suspected a need for extreme caution that day. I have experienced some slow-down due to bag check (not that bad though). Still...I'm sure grateful for all they do to ensure my family's safety. :lovestruc

It took us 25 mins yesterday at EMH. They were extremely thorough. Opened pockets in my bag I didn't even know were there! In contrast sailed through bag check with same bag in HS today

It took us 25 mins yesterday at EMH. They were extremely thorough. Opened pockets in my bag I didn't even know were there! In contrast sailed through bag check with same bag in HS today

This - they were opening every pocket and feeling around the bag at least 3 times before moving on to the next. I don’t mind them thoroughly checking bags at all, I just wasn’t prepared to wait so long. It didn’t help that there wasn’t any shade or fans so it was super hot. We had an 8:40 breakfast adr at BOG and I didn’t make it there until about 9:10. Luckily I was with someone who could go through the no bag line to check us in to our reservation.

I wasn’t sure if I arrived there with the masses and need to time it better next trip or if it was just a bad day for it. All the other parks were not an issue.

We had an 8:40 breakfast adr at BOG and I didn’t make it there until about 9:10. Luckily I was with someone who could go through the no bag line to check us in to our reservation.

I wasn’t sure if I arrived there with the masses and need to time it better next trip or if it was just a bad day for it. All the other parks were not an issue.

You were lucky with this. Typically they won't let one person check in for the group.

I have to wonder if there was some threat or something going on to make the check super detailed. It is not the norm.

Yeah that's definitely unusual. We were there the first week of this month and were never waiting longer than 10 minutes
Longest was actually at AK at rope drop
On more than one occasion they didn't even look in all compartments of my backpack, just the main (biggest) one and only for a second
Guess it just depends on the threat levels and the person checking

That’s unusual. I have always opened every single zipper afraid of time but I usually see them open all of them when people don’t. I have even had them open a glasses case. I have had security people be so chatty they slow everyone down but have never ever experience a check this long. We usually arrive around 30 min before they let people into MK no matter when opening is. I think Epcot has our longest security lines in general.

Epcot has always been the longest bag check lines for us. Never anything close to an hour. I think I waited on my daughter (she was carrying a bag) for 20 minutes once at Epcot and that's the longest we've ever waited.

When it's just DH and I we go bagless, but with kids, we need one, but just the one. This time will be our first without a stroller though. YAY!!

ETA: Next time we go I will tell them to go ahead if there's a wait. Our first fp is 7DMT and I'm not riding it anyway.

ETA again: Our longest wait time by far was the one at MK coming from the bus area.

I had a similar experience during my last trip in late June. I don think it was quite an hour for us, but it was around 45 minutes to get through the line at Magic Kingdom. It is honestly surprising how much worse the lines have gotten in just the last couple of years.

Does anyone know: if i have a running buddy for my phone and nothing else to carry in do I still have to go thru security bag check line?
https://www.therunningbuddy.com/
I'm trying something new instead of using my crossbody. And throwing anything else I may need in my shorts pocket

Does anyone know: if i have a running buddy for my phone and nothing else to carry in do I still have to go thru security bag check line?
I'm trying something new instead of using my crossbody. And throwing anything else I may need in my shorts pocket

That’s a “bag”. So you’ll need to go through bag check with it unless you can fit it inside a pocket

Off topic...how do you like the running buddy? Do you feel like the magnets are strong enough to hold during roller coasters and other thrill rides? Do you worry about your credit cards becoming demagnetized or the magnets effecting your cell phone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter