bags- crossbody vs. backpack

msmileyface

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

Last time I went to Disney I used a small backpack to carry my things (just stuff for myself, I'm not toting things for a child). While it was comfortable and worked out fine, I felt like I was constantly stopping, taking it off, looking for something, putting it back on, etc. However, I liked having the room to put a full sized water bottle, some Tylenol, a poncho, my glasses, a hat, camera, my pin lanyard, etc.

I'm thinking about possibly just using either a medium sized crossbody (so water will fit) or a very small one, and carrying my water. I am just looking to find out what others do- yes I realize this is a very insignificant issue but I like knowing how others schlep their stuff. I'd like to go "bag free", but I really like having my Tylenol and some water at all times.

Thanks!:flower3:

Our first year we used a messenger bag, and it was awful. Awkward, and rode in the stroller most of the time. This last trip I had a small cross body bag that had a strap that could be adjusted to make it a "fanny pack" and I thought it would be more versatile. Hated that too. It was constantly getting in the way. So this trip I am going to try the small backpack. Or maybe just a pair of cargo pants. :)

A crossbody by Baggallini works for me. It is lightweight and comfortable. Since the strap is adjustable, you can let the bag slide around to the back when you want to stride, on your hip when you are on a ride, and in front when you want to get into the bag or are concerned about pickpockets.

It's too hot in Florida for me to tolerate a backpack. My back would get sweaty.

Baggallinis can frequently found on the cheap at TJMaxx or Marshalls.

Ooh a subject I am obsessed with!

(I have a back thing that makes it hard to carry bag weight on my shoulders, so I constantly tweak what I am carrying.)

I've tried a backpack, but the weight of it bothered me and gave me muscle cramps along my spine. The backpack also made my back hot. I also didn't like having to take it off and put it on every time I entered a ride or needed something out of it.

So I switched to cross body bags. They are better for me back-wise, and cooler to carry. When I get on a ride I don't take it off, it just sits on my hip per usual or if it's a seat-belted ride, I bring it around front and buckle the belt beneath it, without having to take the strap off my neck. (Also no chance I'll forget it anywhere.)

(One other observation about backpacks: often the people wearing them are completely UNaware of how much space they are taking, and whack people with the backpack.)

I've tried 3 different cross body bag models over the last 15+ years. Each one has been carried for a LOT of daily errands, plus multiple vacations apiece, including WDW trips. When one wears out I try a different one because I haven't found the "perfect" one yet.

My current bag is reaching EoL so I just ordered this one:

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/promenade-crossbody/252075?productid=10238299

I wanted something light weight, big enough to hold my iPad for the plane trip (I lock it in the safe and don't carry it in the parks), and with lots of pockets for ID, insurance, credit card, cellphone, etc. I am hoping this one does the trick!

I have used a Bagallini in the past but I did not like that it can only be worn one way/on one shoulder. I MUCH prefer the Overland Equipment Donner bag, which has an adjustable strap (can be worn as a purse of a crossbody bag) and 2 "hidden" and somewhat waterproof/insulated pockets for water bottles. Once I tried this bag, I never looked back. IMO, it's the perfect bag for Disney!

I have a tiny Vera Bradley crossbody that I'd love to use, but I'd have to carry my water bottle the whole time. I'm wondering if that's worth the idea of having a small bag.

The backpack I take is a small Vera bag as well and it's not too heavy or hot, but I am definitely leaning crossbody for this trip. I'll take both and see what works after day one! Thanks for the feedback!

I have used a Bagallini in the past but I did not like that it can only be worn one way/on one shoulder. I MUCH prefer the Overland Equipment Donner bag, which has an adjustable strap (can be worn as a purse of a crossbody bag) and 2 "hidden" and somewhat waterproof/insulated pockets for water bottles. Once I tried this bag, I never looked back. IMO, it's the perfect bag for Disney!

That looks like a nice bag, too. I wanted something "flatter" for everyday and WDW, as I don't carry that much. In WDW, I carry cards, lip gloss, sunscreen, a comb, my cellphone, and a rain poncho. (My husband schleps his camera on a neck strap.)

However, the Donner bag looks like it would be good for trips where I take my DSLR camera. :)

I have a tiny Vera Bradley crossbody that I'd love to use, but I'd have to carry my water bottle the whole time. I'm wondering if that's worth the idea of having a small bag.

The backpack I take is a small Vera bag as well and it's not too heavy or hot, but I am definitely leaning crossbody for this trip. I'll take both and see what works after day one! Thanks for the feedback!

I also have a tiny (like 5" by 7") flat-as-a-pancake leather Fossil cross-body bag, too. I take it on trips so that if we are doing something where I don't need to carry the sunscreen bottle and rain poncho, I switch to the smaller bag. It's like wearing nothing, and I can't lose it. It really doesn't hold much beyond cards and cell phone, but if we're just leaving the resort for dinner or whatever, it's plenty big enough.

I know it's not the most environmentally friendly option, but I carry my water bottle in my hand, and when it's empty I toss it and buy another from a cart. Having it in my hand is a good reminder that I need to drink a lot there. We get caught up in doing things at Disney, and it's a lot hotter than we're used to. It's too easy to get dehydrated.

Back when I traveled with my parents and sister, my Mom would carry the "Bag of Pain," which had everything in it anyone could possibly need. Now that I'm the Momma, I swore I'd never carry a Bag of Pain.

Well, going to WDW with my family means I do have to have one! We bought a Lands End bag for the purpose, and it is cross body. I prefer that to a backpack. I feel more secure. I also purposefully got a neutral color so that my husband can take a turn carrying it!

This is my first year going without a stroller. I usually just have my camera backpack but this year my daughter and I got Eddie Bauer Ripstop Sling Packs. They look perfect, has a spot for a water bottle, small place for money and keys and another compartment that should fit some small essentials. My daughter will use hers for snacks and her autograph book. We got them at the Eddie Bauer outlet, I can't find a link for them online.

This thread has prompted me to go on a hunt for my May trip! :lmao: When I said backpack I wasn't referring to the typical heavy full sized backpack style bag. That would be terrible. I found this: And think it may be the perfect option! http://www.ebay.com/itm/32118544232...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Just enough space for a water bottle, chapstick, phone and maaaaaaybe a little poncho if it looks like rain.

My bag from last time was constantly swinging around and banging me on the hip, so something like this would stay on my back and out of the way but not be too cumbersome. And my hubby wouldn't be too embarrassed to carry it if need be. :thumbsup2

My first two trips I used a baggalini and really never loved it. Now I use an LL Bean daypack. Love it! I use it just about anytime I travel.

We have a crossbody Maxpedition bag that's been everywhere with us for the past 3 years. We LOVE this bag! We jokingly call it DH's murse, as he's the one that carries it. It's very convenient, and comfortable, easily carries a water bottle and many extras.

I'll be bringing the Mom's Day Out bag from Vera - I like that it has a lining that can be wiped down in case something spills inside. It's got a lot of room and I can fit a water bottle in the front pockets.

$T2eC16Z,!)QFIcJdw68eBSb877tYyg~~60_35.JPG

This bag, in light grey, goes everywhere with me. :goodvibes

I just bought a sling style camera bag for my DSLR that also has storage space in it sure beats the backpack and camera bag I used to carry. I prefer the sling style bag to the backpack.

I have a small cross-body bag that I bought at a little trinket store for only $10. I see them on Amazon for roughly the same price. It has three zipped compartments, and it was perfect for riding-- I never had to take it off or worry about losing it. I hated the small backpack I used previously because I would put my leg through the strap on rides and fixate about losing it the entire time. Also, when it rained, one of us would have to adjust a poncho around the backpack for the other.

Cross-body eliminated all that. I also didn't worry about someone sneaking behind me and swiping anything from my backpack. It just worked much better for me! I have no kids though. I carry phone, autograph book (for my silly adult self), money/ID, medicine, and small things like anti-bac hand gel, travel sized sunscreen, lip balm.

P.S. You will never find me in a park or anywhere else without Excedrin Migraine, so I feel you on the Tylenol!

I will carry a cross-body (I have a Baggallini I love) for DTD days or just days when we tour resorts and relax. For parks, I really prefer a small or lightweight backpack. The cross-bodies hurt my neck and shoulder after a long day of walking. It's better (for me) to have the weight evenly distributed.

I've always loved my slim samsonite backpack. It has lots of little compartments, but isn't too bulky. You can load it up if you've got lots of little ones, but the reason I love it is because it has a molded back with lumbar support.

I stand straighter when I'm wearing it and it has two convenient belt compartments for camera, phone, etc.

My kids are now significantly older than the last time I really used it for carrying stuff and I may pack my baggalini crossbody this time. I used it solely on a cross-country road trip and loved it.

The only day I'm not sure about is the 24-hour day at MK in May. I may need to pack more stuff than it can hold.

I always take a Vera Bradley small cross-body, most recently a Little Flap Hipster. It's light and small, but has enough room for the things I take to the parks! :goodvibes:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter