• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bags for Liquids

marisabuzz

Mouseketeer
We will be bringing most of our items in our carry-on and we'll be checking in one bag with "non-essentials". I have a particular sunscreen that I cannot buy at freely at our destination, nor is it possible to have shipped there. Typically when we travel, we put our toiletries and other liquids in our checked bag so we never really had to worry before.

I saw on the news that security is pretty strict about the bag used to carry liquids in carry-on bags. I checked the CATSA site and it mentions that the approximate measurement of the bags need to be 9"x6" or 8"x7". The bags we have are Ziplock brand medium freezer size. I measured them and it's just under 9"x7". Has anyone had problems using these bags? Is there a better bag I should be using instead? Where would I get such a bag?

Ziploc medium freezer bags will be just fine. DH has even used a large ziploc but with only a few items and no one said anything (all items were of the correct size and he only had two or three),

We will be bringing most of our items in our carry-on and we'll be checking in one bag with "non-essentials". I have a particular sunscreen that I cannot buy at freely at our destination, nor is it possible to have shipped there. Typically when we travel, we put our toiletries and other liquids in our checked bag so we never really had to worry before.

I saw on the news that security is pretty strict about the bag used to carry liquids in carry-on bags. I checked the CATSA site and it mentions that the approximate measurement of the bags need to be 9"x6" or 8"x7". The bags we have are Ziplock brand medium freezer size. I measured them and it's just under 9"x7". Has anyone had problems using these bags? Is there a better bag I should be using instead? Where would I get such a bag?

They are more concerned about the “volume” of the bag. Look for ziplock bags that hold a litre.

Also remember your container can’t be any bigger then 100ml. It doesn’t matter if you can fit a bigger bottle in the bag. If it’s more then 100ml they will toss it.

To be honest I recycle and use these bags
1658010394127.png
1658010428234.png
$6.97 at Walmart.
I think the worst thing to explode *break* on me was a mini bottle of cornstarch baby powder.
Oh what a mess.

Hugs Mel

They are more concerned about the “volume” of the bag. Look for ziplock bags that hold a litre.

Also remember your container can’t be any bigger then 100ml. It doesn’t matter if you can fit a bigger bottle in the bag. If it’s more then 100ml they will toss it.
I bought some 3oz bottles that can fit 4 nicely in a medium freezer Ziplock bag. I was trying to find the news article where they said that security screening is taking longer that normal because travellers are forgetting the 1L bag rule and showed what the acceptable bags look like. I am hoping that security has some logic and if I have 4 x 3oz bottles in a bag, then it should be less than 1L of liquid and care less about the precise measurement of the bags.

To be honest I recycle and use these bags

$6.97 at Walmart.
I think the worst thing to explode *break* on me was a mini bottle of cornstarch baby powder.
Oh what a mess.

Hugs Mel
I saw similar bags at Walmart yesterday and considered it, but we won't need all that other stuff. I have sucky skin sensitivities that I am very particular of the products I use. Most of my toiletries I can get no problem at US Walmart or Target. It's my sunscreen that I'm trying to bring in my carry-on. Looking at the size of the bag though, looks like you can fit a ton!!

When you go to the airport, grab some of the 1 litre bags there for future trips. That's what I do.
It might have been you that posted something similar in the carry-on bag post...what a great idea! Will definitely grab a few so that I don't need to worry in the future.

"I saw similar bags at Walmart yesterday and considered it, but we won't need all that other stuff. I have sucky skin sensitivities that I am very particular of the products I use. Most of my toiletries I can get no problem at US Walmart or Target. It's my sunscreen that I'm trying to bring in my carry-on. Looking at the size of the bag though, looks like you can fit a ton!!"

Yep me too.
Super sensitive skin,, Atopic & Dyshidrotic eczema and psoriasis,, super sensitive to scents too.
My carry on bag is full of lotions & creams but they are mostly prescription form. I carry them in one of these pouches & then into my purse/bag they go ,,not taking a chance on losing them in the luggage rumble that is going on right now.

Best wishes Hon

Hugs Mel

PS
I just donate the mini products to the food bank.

Last edited:
Everytime I have went thru - they give me the CATSA bag and tell me to put the stuff in it. This was even when I used a medium ziploc. That was not acceptable 🤪

I now just grab extra to keep with me in case I need it.

I just went through security at Pearson with a medium size Ziploc and had no issues. Everyone in my travel party used them as well.

Just returned from a lovely vacation in the Bahamas. My DH has a slightly larger bag (1 L) and he had his small shaving cream taken). I used a much larger bag and they gave me a 1 l bag and let me keep the larger one too- no issues. Just depends…….

My bag was selected to be more closely scrutinized in Toronto because of this, in March, and I was told to use the official plastic bag next time. First time I have ever had this happen. We are going carry on for our Alaska cruise next month and will be using med. Ziplocks again as they are all I have. Fingers crossed

I used ziplocks and didn't have a problem. But the caveat here is that I go through the NEXUS/Global Entry line so there may be some leniency there.

We use those silicone travel bottles for body wash and shampoo. Really good for preventing spillage. For sunscreen we use Kinesys spray. But we only have the 120mL kind so I had to go to Dollarama to get the travel bottle pack with the spray bottle.

Super sensitive skin,, Atopic & Dyshidrotic eczema and psoriasis,, super sensitive to scents too.
My carry on bag is full of lotions & creams but they are mostly prescription form. I carry them in one of these pouches & then into my purse/bag they go ,,not taking a chance on losing them in the luggage rumble that is going on right now.
Eek! I feel for you. I can't imagine how your skin feels. My kids had eczema for years (forgot which kind) and they've told me how itchy it feels. I'm allergic to certain ingredients in regular sunscreen so I finally have one that I've found over the years that works well for my skin.

Everytime I have went thru - they give me the CATSA bag and tell me to put the stuff in it. This was even when I used a medium ziploc. That was not acceptable 🤪

I now just grab extra to keep with me in case I need it.
My bag was selected to be more closely scrutinized in Toronto because of this, in March, and I was told to use the official plastic bag next time. First time I have ever had this happen. We are going carry on for our Alaska cruise next month and will be using med. Ziplocks again as they are all I have. Fingers crossed
Ugh...This!! This is what I recall was happening according to the news article. They were making people take their liquids out and placing it into the CATSA specific ones and they were saying that this is one of the things that is making security lines longer. What a PITA. This is what I am hoping to avoid.

So just went thru an hour ago,,,kids ziploc no issue,,wife had too much in her ziploc,,,lucky i had not gone yet since i didnt have any,,,nice guy gqve ua 2 of airports split riggt there.. all good
:oops: What is considered "too much" in her ziploc?

Safe travels, @mort1331!

:oops: What is considered "too much" in her ziploc?

Safe travels, @mort1331!
Guess youve never met my wife...lol...told all the girls,,liquids in the clear bags,,,anyone listen..no..just before leaving asked if they all had the ready to pull out at airport,,,stunned looks,,,then went thru their makeup bags and other,,,gave them again the nee ziploc and told them have them at the top since they will need to be put out seperate from carryon...oh well here in loads of time to look after it..but for the wife all she had was enough to fill 2 airport bags..so thats what was too much

When we went through Pearson security on July 2nd, I had the 1 litre bag (roughly 9x7) and fit all my liquids in. I pulled it out from my carry-on and placed it in the bin. Darn bag ended up splitting on me and I threw it in an extra ziplock I brought with me. You know the large freezer ziplock bags? My aunt had the large freezer ziplock bag and security never said a word about it being too big. I also had a tiny pair of scissors and threw it into the bin, figuring if they take it no big deal. They left it alone for me to repack.

On the way back (July 9th - out of Miami) I just used the large freezer ziplock bag, and had a couple of creams (sunblock, sunburn cream) over 100 ml and security never said a word. Again, I take the bag out of my carry-on and place it in the bin.

When we went through Pearson security on July 2nd, I had the 1 litre bag (roughly 9x7) and fit all my liquids in. I pulled it out from my carry-on and placed it in the bin. Darn bag ended up splitting on me and I threw it in an extra ziplock I brought with me. You know the large freezer ziplock bags? My aunt had the large freezer ziplock bag and security never said a word about it being too big. I also had a tiny pair of scissors and threw it into the bin, figuring if they take it no big deal. They left it alone for me to repack.

On the way back (July 9th - out of Miami) I just used the large freezer ziplock bag, and had a couple of creams (sunblock, sunburn cream) over 100 ml and security never said a word. Again, I take the bag out of my carry-on and place it in the bin.
This is good to know. I usually bring a bunch of empty ziplock bags of different sizes as they come in hand for various reasons. I guess it all depends on who you get going through security and how they're feeling at the time. It seems very hit or miss.

I rarely fly but will be in a couple weeks: what's the point of using ziplocks? Are you supposed to put all your carry-on liquids into a separate 8×7" little bag? Or do people use them just to speed up with security?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter