Bags

Does nobody else carry jackets for the evening when it cools off?

Sometimes yes. More often though for rain (than cold), if the chances of rain are over 50%. Look for the kind of rain jacket that folks down into one pocket. they also double as a windbreaker! If rain odds are more like 40-50%, I opt for the plastic poncho, but rarely use it. If rain us light, we just get wet. Most other times, rain is very short-lived, so we just wait it for a few minutes, if possible.

A few months of the year, afternoon highs are warm enough for (maybe) shorts, but am/PM are cold. If onsite, we go back to room to change. If offsite, long pants and layers are a good option.

If all else fails, there's no shortage of places to buy WDW sweatshirts. Just expect to pay $40+ for one you like.

What is your preferred way of carrying your stuff while at the parks?
I get tired of a backpack on my shoulders.
MINIMIZE!

For guys, cargo shorts are great option. For women, a small crossbody bag is a good option at WDW. I hate fanny packs, but at Universal, if you must carry a bag, a fanny pack/hip belt = not having to use the lockers. Using the lockers is generally free, but takes up a good amount of time, and the locker rooms can be crowded and sweaty.

For the most part, the main bulky-ish thing we carry is water.

Otherwise, not only do we try to minimize what we carry, but also carry the tiniest amount. I use a mini-Altoids tin for both a few mints and minimal OTC meds. We apply sunscreen heavily before we leave the room, then just carry a tiny Chapstick-style one in the park if we'll be out all day. A 4-inch micro-Sharpie also comes in handy. Hand sanitizer and - for now - an extra mask. Maybe a couple of band-aids, ID, insurance card, and $. That's about it.

Oh, instead of goopy hand sanitizer, I'm finding a small spray bottle of (more or less) alcohol is more useful.

Never mind, kids & autograph books. I'm so far away from having little kids I didn't think about what a pen was needed for!

We are empty-nesters so we don't need to carry much. Everything we do carry goes in my husband's cargo pants or mine. Pain meds, or any type of meds, mints etc goes in a baggie. Couple of baggies for our phones for wet rides. Crossbody bags hurt my neck. And backpacks are just too hot and cumbersome. Be as free as possible!!!!

Last edited:
i got to the point of bagless, but now with bringing more masks in the heat of summer i think i may have to revert back to my crossbody.

I have a variety of Disney Parks Loungeflys that I take with me. I like to swap them out to match my magic bands when I can.

This intrigues me - a pen?

Technically, a permanent-type magic marker. They write well on plastic and other similar non-paper surfaces.

1. One way to save a little (5%) off the cost of WDW is to buy gift cards via a Target credit card. It doesn't sound like much, but 5% off $1,000 = $50. But then you have to keep track of what's left on the gift cards. Target sells both electronic gift cards and plastic ones, so a sharpie is handy for making the balance of the plastic ones. And putting on X on them when they're used up. (If an item gets returned, funds go back to same card- so you have to keep them for a little bit in some cases after they are fully used.)

2. Sharpies are also handy for marking names on plastic water bottles, or anything else where it would be handy to ID: disposable plastic cups, ziploc bags, sign a credit card/annual pass/hard ticket, or any similar plastic surface. Just about any time a regular pen/pencil wouldn't work, a sharpie does.

(The third thing to know is that Sharpie erases off hard surfaces with alcohol. So, hand sanitizer. )

I'm a fanny pack girl in the parks. DS used to carry a small crossbody style backpack but I converted him to the fanny pack love on our last trip. We love the convertible ones available in the Disney gift shops. They can be worn as a fanny pack or a crossbody bag and have a few zippered pockets that can hold everything we find necessary in the parks. Phones, portable charger & cord, travel sunscreen, chap stick, 45789 hair ties, and tiny wallet/cc holder. We each carry a poncho in a small pouch with a carabiner that we either clip to the d-ring on the fanny pack or whoever isn't carrying/using the charger sticks in their fanny pack.

Sometimes yes. More often though for rain (than cold), if the chances of rain are over 50%. Look for the kind of rain jacket that folks down into one pocket. they also double as a windbreaker! If rain odds are more like 40-50%, I opt for the plastic poncho, but rarely use it. If rain us light, we just get wet. Most other times, rain is very short-lived, so we just wait it for a few minutes, if possible.

A few months of the year, afternoon highs are warm enough for (maybe) shorts, but am/PM are cold. If onsite, we go back to room to change. If offsite, long pants and layers are a good option.

If all else fails, there's no shortage of places to buy WDW sweatshirts. Just expect to pay $40+ for one you like.
Columbia has a good rain jacket that folds into the pocket. I brought it and it worked well in the rain. The only problem is your bag/purse will get wet. A poncho can cover your bag.

Columbia has a good rain jacket that folds into the pocket. I brought it and it worked well in the rain. The only problem is your bag/purse will get wet. A poncho can cover your bag.
Yes, a number of places sell them. Uniqlo in DS has some, but their ultra-lightweight ones aren't water-proof, or even water-resistant. At other stores, ones labeled as windbreakers work fine for most rain. They are often labeled "packable." A bit like the ZOMAKE backpack someone linked earlier in this thread.

I also recall seeing them at L.L. Bean and seasonally at Gap(maybe it was Old Navy?). I know I've seen them elsewhere too, just not always year-round or reliably available. Spring is a good time to find them at big box, camping, and sporting goods stores.

Vera Bradley mini-crossbody cloth purse. That is it. Crossbody fits my phone, sunglasses, comb, disposable poncho for water rides, chap stick, credit card, DVC card and ID.

Technically, a permanent-type magic marker.

Yes, I know what they technically are :)
I just never thought that there was such a need for so much writing during a day at WDW outside of autographs!
I’m so far removed from doing WDW w/ little kids so this is good info for me, my younger in laws are planning on taking my niece for her first trip and I’ve told them this board is a wealth of info!

Does nobody else carry jackets for the evening when it cools off?
Nope. If I'm going during the cooler months I probably have one on to start with. When I go in March/early April, I just go back to my room and grab a sweater if I need one. I always stay in the Epcot resorts and most evenings are spent at HS and Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter