Baked ziti

I first make or Dr. up the sauce. Usually I will do that with Italian Sausage. I let it sit in the crockpot most of the day to meld the flavors.

I cook the Ziti to before Al Dente.

I put sauce on the bottom. A layer of Ziti, cheese, and then sauce. Repeat layers with extra sauce on the top and extra cheese.

Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.

Sounds good as it is cold in our area today.

Edited: I never stated what cheese I use. Sometimes I only use Mozzarella, others I use Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Parm Cheese. (same as if I was making lasagna and we actually call this "Mock Lasagna".

boil 1 cup penne rigati until al dente, drain

add 1/2 jar progresso four cheese sauce

also 1/2 cup parmesan, 1 cup ricotta, 2 cups shredded mozzarella

stir everything together

sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella on top

bake 400 for 45 min until bubbly

(it always seems to taste better the next day reheated!)

DW added diced zucchini to baked ziti the other day. Delicious!

I've been using whole wheat penne or ziti (1 box)
At least 16 oz of Mozz (I use either shredded or block and just chunk it, love lots of Mozz)
2 jars of sauce (I use about 1 1/2 in the mix, the rest on the side. I don't like alot of sauce but the boys like more)
Parmesan cheese (however much or little you like)
I love mine with ground beef and ground sausage or either one
1 container of ricotta (I use 16 oz, or if the larger one is on sale, I use about 2/3 of it...I prefer not a whole lotta ricotta :rotfl2:)

I boil the pasta, brown and drain the meat, throw everything back into the pot that I boiled the pasta in, mix it all up, dump it into a baking pan, cover with foil, and bake for about 30 mins at 375, just enough to melt the mozzarella.

Honestly, I'm not a recipe follower. My food always tastes good (according to dh and ds) and I probably don't make things the exact same way ever!

I will usually make up my sauce. Then in separate pan, I brown up my ground beef with some chopped onion, salt/pepper and some garlic. Then add it to the sauce. Let simmer a while.

While that's cooking I make up my ricotta mix.....jar of ricotta, one egg, some parmesan cheese (maybe 1/4-1/2 c), 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, salt/pepper, italian seasoning.

Once my noodles are done (I don't boil them all the way done) I mix some of the ricotta mixture into the noddles (gives extra flavor and doesn't make them dry out).

I then start layering.....
Layer sauce on bottom of pan
Layer of noodles
Spoonfuls of ricotta mixture
Layer of sliced mozzarella

Keep layering till pan is full.

Cover with foil, bake at 350* for about 30 mins or so.

1 lb of ziti (like barilla)
8 oz ricotta whole milk
1 raw egg
garlic powder
salt and pepper
parsley
mozzarella
3 cups homemade sauce

mix the ricotta with egg garlic parsley salt and pepper and garlic
add cheese mixture to cooked pasta - mix through with 3/4 sauce.

top with extra sauce cover with foil and bake 30 min @ 350. open foil add more shredded mozzerella and bake till golden.

Brown my ground beef with onion, salt, pepper and garlic. Add 1 large can of diced tomatoes, 1 large jar of sauce, a handful of parm. cheese and simmer 30 minutes or so..... Boil 1 box of ziti. In a deep 13x9 pan I place some sauce in the bottom and then about 1/3 of the ziti. I then make a layer 6 slices of provolone cheese, top it with 6 slices of mozzarella and a layer of sour cream. I ladel another layer of sauce on, add another layer of pasta, repeat cheeses and sour cream and sauce and finish with a layer of pasta, sauce and a good shake of parmesan cheese on top. I bake it covered for 45 minutes and serve. I never have any left over.....

I brown my ground beef with onion and green pepper then add in some diced tomatoes and a little tomato paste and a little tomato sauce if its too thick.

While that simmers I boil the noodles. When they are done I add about 2 cups of mozzerella cheese to the sauce and stir it in to melt and then add the noodles and mix it all up. I put that in a baking dish and cover with some more mozzerella cheese and bake for about 30 min on 350.

So thanks to this thread, I craved and made baked ziti last night! :rotfl2:

I do ground beef and sausage, Prego sauce (lazy I know, but better than any I've ever made). Ricotta, egg and shredded parm for the cheese. Easy and yummy!

I'm a "thrower-together," but the basic:

Brown sausage and chopped onion. Add some chopped green pepper just before it's done. Drain.

Boil the pasta and drain.

In a large bowl, mix the meat, onion, pepper, pasta, parmesan cheese, at least half the bag of Italian blend cheese, diced or stewed tomatoes (love to make my own stewed tomatoes from my SIL's farm!) and chunky mushroom flavor sauce. Transfer to baking dish and bake at 350-400 until it's hot. 5 minutes before removing, top with the rest of the Italian blend cheese.

If I have it around, I add any of the following: minced garlic (also from my SIL), chopped fresh mushrooms, ricotta cheese (blended with an egg and a little bit of sugar), chopped spinach, chopped zucchini, and/or chopped broccoli.

I will usually make up my sauce. Then in separate pan, I brown up my ground beef with some chopped onion, salt/pepper and some garlic. Then add it to the sauce. Let simmer a while.

While that's cooking I make up my ricotta mix.....jar of ricotta, one egg, some parmesan cheese (maybe 1/4-1/2 c), 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, salt/pepper, italian seasoning.

Once my noodles are done (I don't boil them all the way done) I mix some of the ricotta mixture into the noddles (gives extra flavor and doesn't make them dry out).

I then start layering.....
Layer sauce on bottom of pan
Layer of noodles
Spoonfuls of ricotta mixture
Layer of sliced mozzarella

Keep layering till pan is full.

Cover with foil, bake at 350* for about 30 mins or so.

1 lb of ziti (like barilla)
8 oz ricotta whole milk
1 raw egg
garlic powder
salt and pepper
parsley
mozzarella
3 cups homemade sauce

mix the ricotta with egg garlic parsley salt and pepper and garlic
add cheese mixture to cooked pasta - mix through with 3/4 sauce.

top with extra sauce cover with foil and bake 30 min @ 350. open foil add more shredded mozzerella and bake till golden.

More or less - like these two

(Always make our own sauce/no jar).

More or less - like these two

(Always make our own sauce/no jar).

always! :thumbsup2

Also as an aside, my Italian Grandma and Nonna never had meat in their ziti. that would be lasagna.

So thanks to this thread, I craved and made baked ziti last night! :rotfl2:

I do ground beef and sausage, Prego sauce (lazy I know, but better than any I've ever made). Ricotta, egg and shredded parm for the cheese. Easy and yummy!

LOL! I read it late last night & headed to the grocery for ingredients & made it today. I did ground beef, Ragu sauce doctored up, ricotta & shredded mozzarella on top. DH was very surprised-- I've only made it once or twice before in 35+ years. It was very tasty tho & have leftovers for later in the week. Thanks for the idea OP! :goodvibes

always! :thumbsup2

Also as an aside, my Italian Grandma and Nonna never had meat in their ziti. that would be lasagna.

:goodvibes - same here. I have added the meat once or twice just to change it up but baked ziti is usually plain sauce for us (no sausage either).

I am from the other side as well as my parents :)

I've never made baked ziti with meat. I don't think I've ever seen it served with it either. I don't like baked ziti but make it for dh and dd.

Mine is pretty easy. I cook a box of dreamfields ziti and doctor up a jar of trader Joe's sauce with pureed roasted red peppers and a little pesto. I then make a cheese mixture with ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, an egg, parsley, oregano and pepper. I put a little sauce in the bottom of the dish, put a layer of ziti, add some cheese mixture and more sauce. I repeat the layers and top with shredded parmesan. Bake at 350 for 435-45 minutes.

LOL. St. Louisans call it Mostacciolli, and the joke is that if you didn't serve it at your wedding, then you are not really married. EVERY caterer in the city makes it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/st-louis-original-baked-mostaccioli-480844

Never heard of the word mostacciolli until it was on the menu board in my NJ college's cafeteria. Most people were like WTH is mostacciolli? We called it penne or even pencil points. And it was nothing like the recipe you posted, which sounds great. It wasn't baked, just boiled pasta with watery sauce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter