Balancing Parks, Rest and Birthdays! A July 2023 Trip Report

Day Four: Bringing the Day to a Happy Place

I left us off with our short break. Gwen's next request was to see the Muppet 3D show. She wanted to see the 1st showing of the day. She had wanted to do that first, but I had a feeling the first show wasn't till the actual park opening not the early entry hours.

We got there at 8:40, so maybe the 2nd show of the day? Maybe the first...

https://flic.kr/p/2puMk1Y]Gwen Muppet Fountain[/url]
Andy got a photo of Gwen by the fountain.

https://flic.kr/p/2puUwKB]making of Photo[/url]
The making of the photo.

https://flic.kr/p/2puTM1X]Checking for the key[/url]
Gwen made sure to check for the key before we headed in.

https://flic.kr/p/2puN7GU]Muppets Stage 3D[/url]
It was pretty empty...

She was happy to be there early. Some food and this turned Gwen around.

We took time to really check out all the stuff in the room, since it was so empty.

https://flic.kr/p/2puSZqX]Muppets Gwen[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/139829364@N03/]Ariella Saucier[/url], on Flickr

Gwen and I spent some time checking out all the details in the room.
Muppets: Emergency Tuxedos

Muppets: Bean Bunnie

Muppets: Great Gonzo

Muppets: Props Dept.

Muppets: Crates

Muppets: Reagal

At 8:53 we were in the Show area
Muppets

We let Gwen pick where we sat and she choose right in the front....

Like this close to the front... I could practically touch Sweetemus!!!! I wasn't complaining, he is my favorite part of the show.
Sweetemus

3D Fozzie

Muppets Back Wall
Pretty sure that was it for people in the theater!

Gwen enjoyed the show! And was happy.

As we were leaving the cart outside the theatre had churros, so we grabbed one for Gwen. But it was time for our LL, so we headed over to Tower of Terror.

Morgan DOES NOT like TOT, So she has started to skip it. And Andy decided to do the same. He has back issues and didn’t want to mess with the jerky-ness of the ride. So, they went in pursuit of a pepper jack pretzel.

TT

Around 9:25 Gwen and I were salking into Tower of Terror.
Que for TT

Gwen and I walked right into the main room.
TT Dust

Gwen & I ready ro ride TT
Gwen has become my ToT / Guardians buddy. Andy and Morgan skipped Guardians in Disneyland too.

Gwen TT
Birthday Girl was ready!

TT Ride Photo
This ride was strange, it had a lot of little bouncing then a big drop then a lot of little bouncing. It was still fun.

Gwen and I went and found Andy and Morgan. They found a table behind Anaheim Produce. They had looked for the pretzel down by Rock n’ Rollercoaster but they didn’t have any, so they had walked back to there to get a regular one.

Gwen and I took there magic bands and went and rode again!

TT Ceiling

TT Dust
I wish there was more que inside the hotel. Image there being different rooms on the first floor!

Gwen & I ready to ride TT

Service Elevator

TT Visitors

2nd RIde on TT
This time the drops were longer and Gwen and I both agreed that this sequence was way better.

After our second round of drops, we went and found Andy and Morgan. And headed to our next destination...

Gwen's next Request!

My daughter is the same and it just breaks a Momma's heart. I can't believe she's a teenager
It does break your heart, as much as she wanted it to be perfect so did I. Thankfully we rebounded.

A rough start to your day but sounds like you found your family mojo :-) I hope the rest of your day is full of fun - 13 is a special birthday!
We did! 13 is a speical age! Morgan let us off easy. Gwen is a bit harder at this age.

Glad Gwen's day was starting to get better! Sweet girl!
It got better. She always just needs to let it out.

Both my girls have anxiety to a certain level. I'm glad she was able to get it our and move forward. We all enjoy MMRR too. It brings a smile to everyone's face.
MMRR is just fun. How can you not like it.

Ugh, perfectionist with anxiety here too so totally feeling Gwen! We’ve celebrated my older kids birthdays at WDW before and experienced similar tears but they were from Mom
Ha! I totally expect graduation trips before they each go off to college and I will def cry then!

You are so right that she hides it well- every time I see her she is just this bubbly little pixie :goodvibes You would never be able to tell!
hiding is dangerous. I worry about her more because of it.

I had built it up so much, was so so excited, and it was an AMAZING day- but it didn't feel like my birthday!
My birthday is coming up in 2 days and that is what it felt like for me! It was great but busy!

If I do spend another birthday at Disney, I'd rather just have it be with Jake and/or my mom, and have it be a more relaxed day!
That also sounds great!!!

Following along! We just got back from a week at Disney World for my daughter’s third birthday, but had to head home early because she picked up a bad cold.

I definitely did not take enough pictures - these trip reports always make me wish I did a better job of that!

Aww, poor Gwen. It seems that I always feel my feelings stronger when I'm on vacation!! I totally get that overwhelming feeling of everything must go right, but it's got to be so much harder at 13. Sometimes a good cry helps to sort things out, so I'm sure just letting her cry through it helped.

Hopefully the rest of the birthday was less anxiety and lots more magic!

Glad to hear some food and Muppets helped calm Gwen. Disney can be a lot. Birthdays can be a lot. Crowds can be a lot. So I can't say I'm surprised it all got to be a little too much.
It's always nice when someone in your party doesn't want to ride an attraction and you can use their passes for a second turn. Pretty sure my mom has always gone on Soarin' two times in a row between using our Rider Swaps and Alex's LL's. :rotfl:

My heart went out to Gwen (and you) when I was reading about her birthday. I also have a daughter with anxiety, so I can relate. I'm so glad the day turned around, and I hope the rest of it was amazing for her.

Oops, I commented without reading the next update! I love all the close up detail pics from Muppets 3D. That's one of our favorites, too. I hope it never leaves!! Love Gwen's happiness at the big empty space after the much needed banana, too. A much happier birthday girl :)

I love using our other family members magic bands to get a double ride on ToT and RnRc!! I've been doing that since the good old Fastpass days! I'd always make them for everyone, even our non-riders, so I could selfishly ride twice :) I felt like it was my payment for planning the whole trip LOL

Following along! We just got back from a week at Disney World for my daughter’s third birthday, but had to head home early because she picked up a bad cold.
Welcome!!! 3 is a perfect time to go to Disney! Sorry you had to cut it short for a cold. Just means you need to go again! ;)

I definitely did not take enough pictures - these trip reports always make me wish I did a better job of that!
Doing trip reports has really taught me to take tons of photos! DH gets annoyed because I snap photos for time stamps sometimes and they will be nothing at all. Plus having a smart phone to take all the pics helps as well.

Hopefully the rest of the birthday was less anxiety and lots more magic!
It was def up from there. And I do think she hasd a good day.

t's always nice when someone in your party doesn't want to ride an attraction and you can use their passes for a second turn. Pretty sure my mom has always gone on Soarin' two times in a row between using our Rider Swaps and Alex's LL's. :rotfl:
It's a nice perk. Morgan used to benefit from it when Gwen was too little. Now they have swapped roles.

My heart went out to Gwen (and you) when I was reading about her birthday.
It was a rough morning but thankfully it picked up.

I love using our other family members magic bands to get a double ride on ToT and RnRc!! I've been doing that since the good old Fastpass days! I'd always make them for everyone, even our non-riders, so I could selfishly ride twice :) I felt like it was my payment for planning the whole trip LOL
It's a good "hack".

Good Morning Everyone!

Is winter over yet? Not even close you say? Sigh.... January felt like forever and I am really hoping February goes faster! Morgan has her first Indoor Drumline competiion this Saturday. Hopefully it goes well. I don't even care where they place, I just hope she has fun, indoor hasn't been as fun for Morgan as outdoor. So, I am hoping for a good weekend.

Gwen is also full on musical rehearsal, which has become a bunch of me driving in cirlces dropping off and picking the girls up. But I will say, I love it. It stresses me out but I do love it. I know I will weirdly miss it once it's over.

Day Four: Rounding out Gwen's Birthday Morning

I left us off headed to our next atttraction... Indiana Jones! This was another request from Gwen.

Around 10:15 we were walking into Indian Jones.
Going into Indiana Jones

We were able to get seats on the right hand side only a few row back. We seem to always be on the left hand side. So, it was nice to get a different view.
Gwen Indiana Jones

We have some time to wait. So we chilled, Gwen ate her churro from earlier. Which was cold by now, obviously. But she was happy. We also talked about the plan for after the show.

Gwen

About 10 minutes later, the show started.

Indiana Jones Bolder
Que the giant Ball!

Indiana Jones
You can see how close we were. It was a theme for the day. And she loved it.

Indian Jones

Indiana Jones Fire Plane
I am honestly not sure why she picked this as one of her activities. I love the show but I feel like I used to beg everyone to go see the show in previous trips. It is a good show but it can get boring if you have seen it alot.

BUT! It was great today, they removed a few things but you wouldn't notice if you didn't know thy were there.

On our way out o the theater, we saw a Disney duck!
Untitled
We were just about ready for lunch but Gwen had ONE more request before lunch

Potatoland!
Potatoland

Gwen loves this area.
Potatoland

Potatoland Panda

Gwen Yodelberg
Last trip we got a better one of this.

Potatoland Temple

Once she got her fill of photo ops we headed to lunch.While we were inside, I had everyone decide what they wanted from Docking Bay 7. I placed a mobile order as we left.

Gwen wanted “Space Popcorn” and "space Mac and Cheese" for her birthday lunch, so we were headed into Galaxy Edge.

Gwen and I got in line for the popcorn while Andy and Morgan headed into Docking Bay 7 to get a table and teh mobile oreder. I wanted a Ronto Wrap so Gwen and I grabbed that as well.

We met up with Andy and Morgan inside at a table.

Space Popcorn
Outpost Popcorn Mix
a colorful blend of Sweet and Spicy flavors

Gwen's "Space Popcorn" Ever since covid and Molly talking about it all the time, this has become one of her favorite snacks.

Gwen also ordered the Fried Endorian Chicken Tip Yip
Crispy Chicken served with House-Made Macaroni & Cheese and Roasted Vegetables and a water

She was a little miffed that they changed the pasta shape for the mac and Cheese. We have heated debates about pasta shapes in our house. But it was still good, even if Gwen said it wasn’t due to the shape…
Space Lunch

Morgan and Andy both went with the Smoked Kaadu Pork Ribs
Pork Ribs brushed with Tangy BBQ Sauce and served with Blueberry Corn Muffin and Red Cabbage Slaw and a water

I was surprised Morgan picked this, as she isn’t a big BBQ fan but she liked these enough. Not sure she would order them again. Andy liked the ribs but he isn’t picky. It was pretty sweet BBQ sauce. We noted that we were eating alot of ribs this trip and that we needed to rank all of the ribs. We had ribs at BOMA, Morimoto and here so far, and we had at least one more place for tibs!

I had the Ronto Wrap
Roasted Pork, Grilled Pork Sausage, Peppercorn Sauce, and Tangy Slaw wrapped in Pita Bread
Surly Sarlacc and Ronto Wrap
I asked for extra sauce, and they gladly gave me one. I would ask for 2 next time. Extra Sauce is def key to these being good. I don’t think they put nearly as much in as they used to. But it was still good.

I also ordered the Kyryll Pork Rinds
Pork Rinds seasoned in a Savory Blend of Ancho Chile, Cheddar, Smoke, and Cinnamon

These were actually kind of good. They were really good dipped in the peppercorn sauce, I would totally order them again and ask for a side of the sauce! And now that I am talking about it! I def want to do that one our next trip!

And I also got the Surly Sarlacc
Ketel One Botanical Grapefruit and Rose Vodka, Minute Maid© Limeade, Raspberry, Spicy Mango Flavors

This is my favorite drink. It is very refreshing. Not too heavy.

We relaxed and ate our meal inside. We were able to get a table that was a booth. I grabbed one last LL for us to use on our way out of the park. Star Tours was for right then, and Gwen had asked for that, she wanted to be the rebel spy... Will she be the rebel spy!??!

AT-AT
It was only 12:15 when we got in que for Star Tours

Space Damage

Star Tours Shi[

Star Tours Gwen
Gwen got her name up on the scanning board

We were in boarding area pretty quickly.
Star Tours by Ariella Saucier, on Flickr
But our first room didn’t work. We were all loaded into our seats and something wasn’t working. So, they had to switch to a new room. The CM kept it nice and orderly, kept us in our rows and all which was nice.

Star Tours Ready to Ride
Ready to try again!

This time it worked...
Rebel Spy
Gwen kept her ears on and got a Rebel Spy!
Rebel Spy

She was very satisfied with this outcome!

It was now time to head out, get out of the sun and relax a bit.

We poked around the dump store. Andy found action figures that looked like his originals. He was looking at them to add the missing the pieces he lost but decided against it, since he had all of the actual figures but one.

Morgan found a cuddly Wampa but wasn’t ready to commit to it just yet, this became super annoying later in the trip....

As we tend to do, we shopped our way our of the park. We checked out the plushes as Gwen had still not bought one.

She ended up picking an Abu Big Footie. Morgan had to kind of encourage her to pick out, saying she "had" to get something for her bithday. It was cute that Morgan wanted Gwen to have something she liked on her birthday.

Gwen was happy to have a new plush.

We hopped on the Skyliner and were back in the room in no time!
Skyliner

Family Selfie Skyliner

Up next Dinner and some more birthday fun!

Day Four: Finishing Up Gwen's birthday Day

I left off with us headed back to the room for some down time. We all just chilled, the girls watched Youtube, And and I probably napped. I think we all showered maybe? It was a nice a nice chill time.

But eventually we had to get moving again. And of course it was pouring rain.

Rain!

We walked over to the Skyliner because it was still running, but by the time we got over there, they had shut it down. They were directing folks to the bus stop.

Heading out to dinner

We were headed to the Yacht Club for dinner, and we didn't want to be dropped off at the front of the park, So, Andy called for an uber. So, we walked back to the little round about by our room and waited for the driver.

Uber to Dinner
It took about 5 minutes for the guy to get there so we were pretty wet by then and felt bad getting in, as we were pretty wet but he said no worries.

But before long we were walking into Yacht Club.
Yacht Club Lobby

We walked in and just took in the smell. Man we love this resort. We made our way to Beaches and Cream, walking inside as long as we could.

We checked in a little early and they were able to seat us fairly quickly. This was Gwen's request for dinner. She just loves it here, not for the ice cream, for the grilled cheese!

Shortly after we sat down in Restaurant, someone got a Kitchen Sink.

Gwen and I went and used the bathroom after getting seated. While we were gone Andy talked to the waitress about it being Gwen’s birthday and she said she could bring out a cupcake for Gwen or put a candle in one of the sundaes depending on what we ordered for desert.

While waiting for our food, Andy asked if it was too late to switch hotels. I said yes. We were FULLY unpacked in the room. We probably could have moved but it wasn’t worth it in the end. I had thought about moving resorts BEFORE the trip but Andy wanted to keep the cost down a bit since we had been in California not too long ago. Which was fine. But we def had all the feels for being at that resort.

Morgan & Gwen both got the Beaches & Cream Grilled Cheese
with Creamy Tomato Soup
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
And Pink Lemonades

Like I said, this is Gwen's favorite. I don't think there is anything special about it, but more of that it is familiar?! Morgan had considered getting just a bowl of tomoatoe soup but she wasn't sure it was going to be enough, so she just went with the standard combo.

Tots with Cheese
We ordered Cheese and Bacon Tots to share.
Tots with Cheese Sauce, Bacon, Red Onions, and Garlic-Peppercorn Ranch

These are great. I mean they are basic... fake cheese, tots... but you know sometimes you want fake food! ha.

Andy & I shared the Cheddar-Bacon-Ranch Chicken Sandwich
Burger and Tots
with Sautéed Onion, Lettuce, and Tomato on a Multigrain Bun served with choice of Potato Tots, French Fries, or Fresh Fruit
We went with Tots.
This was fine. Was it amazing, no? Was it good and hit the spot, yes. The chicken wasn't dried out and well it was a chicken sandwich.

Andy got a Cherry Coke (diet) and I got a Vanilla Coke (diet). Both of these were yummy.

Food was all good, and it was time to order dessert. We wanted to let Gwen decide on what to get as it was her birthday. But she was being weird about what dessert to get. She didn’t want to make any more decisions, so we just ordered for her.

Andy and morgan shared the Fudge Mud Slide
Chocolate Sundae
A gooey, chewy Brownie covered with Hot Fudge, Three Scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream, Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, and Whipped Cream topped with Chocolate Syrup and a Cherry
But they asked for chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla. And it was SUPER chocolatey!!!

And then I ordered a Chocolate MIlk Shake for me and Gwen to Share.
Milk Shake

Server bringing out special Cupcake

Birthday Cupcake Gwen

Waitress brought over a free cupcake and we sang happy birthday to her. Gwen didn’t actually want the cupcake but the thought was very much appreciated. She was very happy to get another special dessert.

Birthday Cupcake

Birthday Cupcake
How cute! I am pretty sure that is the cupcake they put on the Strawberry Milkshakes.

It was WAY too much dessert for us!! In the past we have ordered 1 Mud Slide sized dessert and shared it between the 4 of us. The milkshake was REALLY filling. I don't know how people eat a fat burger, fries and a milkshake!

We all shared the items and Gwen's cupcake made the meal just a little extra special.

We paid, thanked the server and headed out to have some fun!

Off to Hollywood Studios!
It was a little after 6:30 when we headed to the boat to go back to Hollywood Studios
By now the rain had stopped. A boat was leaving as we were walking up but we decided to not run for it and just wait.

Untitled

It didn’t take too long for another on a boat
We watched the boat by Boardwalk in what felt like forever (but really wasn’t)
Boat to HS
Andy listened to Morgan’s music that was a remake of Beatles Song, while Gwen and I talked about how silly they looked sharing headphones.

Oscar's
Once back in the park, we have some LL to use. I had been "stacking" them while we were in the hotel, and I think one or 2 had turned into anything time ones since it had rained.

I had gathered a Runaway Railway LL, Toy Story Mania, Alien Swirling Saucier and a Rock N Rollercoaster LL.

First up was Runaway Railway!
MMRR

We went and did this first, as it is Gwen’s favorite. Our CM in the preshow room was better this time.
Potatoland

Untitled

MMRR Ready to Ride

Untitled

underwater room

After a joyful ride to the park, we headed to Toy Story Mania next.
Toy Story Mania.

Gwen decided to try for accuracy instead of high score.
She ended up with 100% accuracy!! She was pretty proud of herself. And we were impressed!

Last but not least was Rock n Rollercoaster!
RNR

The que took awhile. I think the ride was having some issues at the end of the night.
Untitled

While we were in line, Morgan decided she wanted the Wampa she saw this morning. And as the time was ticking away to get on the ride, she was worried that we wouldn't be able to get back over before the park closed.

Untitled

Untitled
We did finally make it on the ride!!

RNR Ride Photo
I literally ALWAYS look horrible in this ride photo. No matter how hard I try, I always look terrified! Ha!

After the ride Morgan and I high tailed it over to buy Wampa. Morgan and I had about 6 minutes to walk across the park and purchase said item.

We made it with 1 minute to spare! Morgan picked out the one she wanted, we paid and were out in the same minute!

Andy and Gwen walked leisurely, stopped at a bathroom and then waited for us by Gertie.
Untitled

Gwen and Andy watch fireworks from afar.
Untitled
It was kind of a nice little moment for them at the end of the night.

We did head out, we wanted to get on the Skyliner before the fireworks were over and everyone funneled out.
HS Skyliner Station

Untitled
We could see the fireworks from the Skyliner!

Off Skyliner
And in no time, back at Caribbean Beach.

It was a good day. Gwen had a good day but she said she was glad it was over.

Beaches and Cream is another one that's always on my list to get to, but I end up cutting it for an old favorite. I must have that grilled cheese and tomato soup. It's my favorite meal LOL so I have to try theirs!! What a cute presentation of the cupcake, too.

I'm glad Gwen's day turned out to include lots of her favorites and of course that she got to be the Rebel Spy!! What a fun way to wrap up the day with Skyliner fireworks, too!

Beaches and Cream is another one that's always on my list to get to, but I end up cutting it for an old favorite. I must have that grilled cheese and tomato soup. It's my favorite meal LOL so I have to try theirs!! What a cute presentation of the cupcake, too.
It's easy to pass over, for sure! We are going this next trip, mostly because it was Gwen's choice. I tried to make sure I got one request from everyone.

Gwen is also full on musical rehearsal, which has become a bunch of me driving in cirlces dropping off and picking the girls up. But I will say, I love it. It stresses me out but I do love it. I know I will weirdly miss it once it's over.

Enjoy it while you can. It does go by too fast.

We were able to get seats on the right hand side only a few row back. We seem to always be on the left hand side. So, it was nice to get a different view.

I think I have always sat on the right. .

I wanted a Ronto Wrap so Gwen and I grabbed that as well.

Ronto Wrap is my go to.

I also ordered the Kyryll Pork Rinds
Pork Rinds seasoned in a Savory Blend of Ancho Chile, Cheddar, Smoke, and Cinnamon

I need to try these.

Good for her!

Morgan & Gwen both got the Beaches & Cream Grilled Cheese
with Creamy Tomato Soup

This is Danielle's go to.

This is so cute!

She ended up with 100% accuracy!! She was pretty proud of herself. And we were impressed!

Congrats. I don't think I have ever seen 100% accurancy.

It was a good day. Gwen had a good day but she said she was glad it was over.

Great day!

I understand what you mean about the driving around being hard but also enjoying it. I feel like the kids can be really chatty during those drives, and I'm pretty sure I've learned some things about their social lives that they wouldn't have thought to share otherwise. (Not that the dynamics of an 11 and 8 year old are as complicated as older kids. :laughing: )

I had no idea you could order extra sauce for the Ronto Wraps! This might be a game changer for me.

Pasta shape is important, I get it.

Sounds like Gwen's Beaches and Cream birthday dinner was really nice. The tomato soup there is really good.

Oh boy, I'm glad you managed to get the Wumpa before park close! That had to be a little stressful when you're allll the way over on RNRC and see the time ticking down.

And I also got the Surly Sarlacc
Ketel One Botanical Grapefruit and Rose Vodka, Minute Maid© Limeade, Raspberry, Spicy Mango Flavors
This is one of my favorite drinks in the parks!
She was very satisfied with this outcome
Wow, how cool for her birthday.
Gwen had a good day but she said she was glad it was over.
This is exactly how I feel about my birthday! There’s so much hype and attention and expectations and it all just stresses me out. Glad I’m not alone!

Looks like you had an awesome day!!

Is winter over yet? Not even close you say? Sigh.... January felt like forever and I am really hoping February goes faster!
We moved from Texas to the Midwest last year so this is my first winter in a really long time. January felt like it would never end!
How cool! Glad she got it!
Once back in the park, we have some LL to use. I had been "stacking" them while we were in the hotel, and I think one or 2 had turned into anything time ones since it had rained.

I had gathered a Runaway Railway LL, Toy Story Mania, Alien Swirling Saucier and a Rock N Rollercoaster LL.
Nice job stacking! That has to be really nice going into a park in the evening with multiple LLs ready to go.
Wow!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter