Balancing strengths and interests with profitability when choosing a major

My dd will be a senior this fall. She is a theater major/English minor. Talk about a 'useless major/minor'! But....in all reality, the vast majority of people I know are not working in their 'majors'. Most changed their major before graduation, and are still working in an unrelated field!!
Dd hopes to do the Disney College Program right after graduation. She wants to work for Disney for a minimum of 5 years...to see where it takes her.
Will she be performing? Probably not. And she realizes that. She's too tall for most roles. She would love to do Streetmosphere....maybe. But she has a plan. She's working at a theme park this summer, in entertainment.
Hopefully, she can turn this major into a life she will love....that will allow her to support herself.

That's interesting, Pea-n-Me. My son is a police officer who has had a clear idea of what he wanted to do since he was very young. He majored in Criminal Justice (with a minor or two) and was hired by his first choice department before he graduated. He works long hours and off duty jobs on his days off to supplement his income........and LOVES his career. He recently finished his MBA with a concentration in the computer field in case he gets injured and needs a backup career. I hope I love my job some day as much he does :)

This one is a hard one. Nursing is a good career but in my area there are so many new grads looking for a job and very few finding employment.
The unit I work in we have only hired 4 new grads in the last 5 years. Don't get me wrong we hire quite a bit but on average our new hires have 5+ years experience. Other areas of the country it is easy to find a job as a nurse.

My sister has a bachelors in anthropology, masters in archeology, and a PhD in geriatrics and is a Vice President of e-commerce in a large east coast company.

I don't envy our young adults trying to find their place in the work world, college or no college right now. It is important to enjoy what you are doing but you also have to pay the bills at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter