• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ban smoking at the MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyRobin

Mouseketeer
Do you think smoking should be allowed at the Magic Kingdom?

I feel like there are too many smoking spots. We'll be running from one place to another and suddenly hit with cigarette smoke.

The worst one is the big smoking area next to the Dole Whip stand. After you get a dole whip, it would be nice to sit and enjoy but the whole area is filled with smokers.

Maybe they should just ban smoking in that park?

I wish they'd just ban smoking at all 4 parks. If someone wants to slowly poison themselves in the privacy of their own home/car, then fine. However, I don't want their secondhand smoke affecting me or my family. Dining out or going to a bar has been so nice since outlawed smoking in restaurants here in Virginia.

Why just MK?

If it's going to be banned it'll have to be everywhere.

I don't think that it will be banned at this point. We will just have to find somewhere else to sit with dole whips.

I wish they'd just ban smoking at all 4 parks. If someone wants to slowly poison themselves in the privacy of their own home/car, then fine. However, I don't want their secondhand smoke affecting me or my family. Dining out or going to a bar has been so nice since outlawed smoking in restaurants here in Virginia.

Having gone to college in Virginia and worked in the bars at night, it was very nice when the smoking ban came to pass. Disney banning smoking will give them a lot of bad press. Yes, banning smoking is a smart decision and benefits the health of all our guests, but the backlash could be hazardous to Disney's health.

The E-cig trend is starting to catch on... Who knows, maybe in the next couple years Big Tobacco collapses and the "modern smoker" is using an E-cig...

In my selfish moments, yes I do with they would ban smoking at ALL parks but then its not exactly fair on those who do want to slowly kill themselves... but oh my, I wish wish wish they would move that one by aloha isle, there's not really a way of avoiding that one.

I am used to avoiding the smoking areas because my mum is missing half a lung and it really bothers her, but you have to go miles out of the way to avoid that one so we have ben known to hold breath and run (well me run, she sits in her wheelchair and gets pushed).

Having gone to college in Virginia and worked in the bars at night, it was very nice when the smoking ban came to pass. Disney banning smoking will give them a lot of bad press. Yes, banning smoking is a smart decision and benefits the health of all our guests, but the backlash could be hazardous to Disney's health.

The E-cig trend is starting to catch on... Who knows, maybe in the next couple years Big Tobacco collapses and the "modern smoker" is using an E-cig...

:thumbsup2

I feel like there are too many smoking spots. We'll be running from one place to another and suddenly hit with cigarette smoke.

The worst one is the big smoking area next to the Dole Whip stand. After you get a dole whip, it would be nice to sit and enjoy but the whole area is filled with smokers.

I, too, think they put that smoking spot in the wrong place - it always catches us by surprise, also such a wonderful place to stop and relax with a dole whip or other. Doubt it matters much to most 'where' they smoke - they just need/want a place to take a puff.

Another place that 'really' annoys me is the Gateway area at Epcot. You have 'no' choice but to run the gauntlet there - it's also a lovely area that everyone should be able to stop and relax without breathing smoke.

As for what a pp said about Disney catching it if they were to ban smoking - people would just have to get over it - they also didn't like restaurants banning it, or other 'smoke free' zones. It's definitely a health issue.

I think Disney is relying on visitors from outside the USA far too much right now to further reduce smoking.

People that smoke pay just as much to get into the parks and should have a right to smoke. Most of the smoking sections (they are disappearing all of the time) are out of the way. Disney will lose a lot of business if they stop it all together. You can eat your Dole Whip anywhere in the park. Smokers used to smoke anywhere in the park. They put all of the smokers in a few sections in the park and low and behold that is now not good enough? Now you want to stop them all together? What if someone wants a cigarette after their Dole Whip? Can't do it because they have to make non-smokers happy? What about making smokers happy? I thought smoking sections were put into place to try to make EVERYONE happy.

Someone further down in the thread suggested using e-cigarettes but, did you know that they are not allowed in the park except in the smoking areas? Have not figured out why yet though. They won't burn anyone or give out second hand smoke so what is the problem with them?

I agree completely... while the ban would be nice for those of us non-smokers, the repercussions could be pretty horrific for Disney (and the guests - who wants to be surrounded by a bunch of people having nic-fits all day?) One can only hope that the E-cigs really catch on and the problem sort-of solves itself....

Having a loved one currently suffering from lung cancer, as far as Im concerned, smoking should be banned everywhere.

There is no reason for a 100% smoking ban inside the MK or other Disney theme parks. The parks are already smoke-free, except for a few designated areas at each park. Most smokers comply with the rules.

Some of Disney's smoking areas are better situated than others. Disney took the easy way out using the sides of existing walkways as smoking sections. Because a large number of people sometimes smoke in a small area, the cloud of smoke becomes unavoidable for nonsmokers just trying to get from one part of a park to another.

A smoker's day at a Disney park includes taking some cigarette breaks. Rather than banning smoking, I'd like to see Disney put in nice smoking areas that are not part of walkways. Why not make it pleasant for smokers? Have tables and chairs, umbrellas to protect from sun, and gazebos to escape from the rain. Perhaps sell coffee nearby so that smokers can relax with coffee and a cigarette -- all while not subjecting nonsmokers to unwanted smoke.

Undoubtedly, older smokers fondly remember when they could smoke everywhere, excepts in lines and on attractions. The restaurants had smoking and nonsmoking sections (but the smoke would drift throughout the restaurants). That was bad for the rest of us.

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. For some people, even short exposure to smoke can trigger medical reactions. But my happiness is not increased by making smokers miserable. Give smokers a places to smoke away from nonsmokers, and we can all be happy.

Someone further down in the thread suggested using e-cigarettes but, did you know that they are not allowed in the park except in the smoking areas? Have not figured out why yet though. They won't burn anyone or give out second hand smoke so what is the problem with them?

I think it's because:

A. many e-cigs look just like real cigarettes. So you'd have people assuming they are smoking the real thing, which could cause problems. (you also have people that know it's an e-cig and still complaining about it)

B. There have been no long term studies on the effects of e-cigs.

Another area that I feel is poor placement of a smoking section is in HS at Fairfax Fare. It is right next to the eating tables. Makes me nuts that Disney wouldn't realize that people may not want to smell that while eating. Of course, thats if you can find a table! ;)

I think it's because: A. many e-cigs look just like real cigarettes. So you'd have people assuming they are smoking the real thing, which could cause problems. (you also have people that know it's an e-cig and still complaining about it) B. There have been no long term studies on the effects of e-cigs.
agreed

I do think that smoking should be banned in Disney, HOWEVER its going to be a touchy subject with Disney... It is a person's right to smoke and do what they would like to their body (as long as its legal of course) But it just ruins your day when you are enjoying your walk and hit that smell. Maybe Disney could move to only permitting E-Cigs?

Why just MK?

If it's going to be banned it'll have to be everywhere.

I don't think that it will be banned at this point. We will just have to find somewhere else to sit with dole whips.

I'd love it if they banned smoking at all parks - or made a separate area for smokers that guests wouldn't ever have to pass.

I start with the MK because it seems that Disney is trying to make that park very innocent and child-focused - as it is the only park where you can't purchase alcoholic beverages (unless you're one of the lucky few to get into the new BOG restaurant).

It doesn't make sense to me that people can smoke at various spots around the park right in front of kids but parents can't enjoy a glass of wine at most of the restaurants!

At least they could make money selling wine but Disney gets nothing out of allowing guests to smoke - other than a smelly park!

People that smoke pay just as much to get into the parks and should have a right to smoke. Most of the smoking sections (they are disappearing all of the time) are out of the way. Disney will lose a lot of business if they stop it all together. You can eat your Dole Whip anywhere in the park. Smokers used to smoke anywhere in the park. They put all of the smokers in a few sections in the park and low and behold that is now not good enough? Now you want to stop them all together? What if someone wants a cigarette after their Dole Whip? Can't do it because they have to make non-smokers happy? What about making smokers happy? I thought smoking sections were put into place to try to make EVERYONE happy.

eh...not sure i agree here...smoking really effects the people walking by/around you. i don't think this is just about making "non-smokers happy" it's more of a health thing too. i don't think disney really owes anything to people who want to smoke in public

I am a smoker and I think it should be banned from inside all theme parks. It wouldn't bother me if the smoking areas are out side each park. If it was outside of all the parks off to the side it could kind of keep both sides happy & unhappy all at the same time. The smokers will not like having to walk outside the park & the non-smokers will not like having them put front over to the side. On the plus side the smokers won't be banned from smoking all together & the non-smokers can enjoy a smoke free park. I don't smoke around my children or other children, not in my car, when I am outside I ask people around me in my own backyard if it bothers them, & I don't like to smoke in public around other people. The reason I like to smoke alone in peace is because I don't want other people around it. It's my choice to smoke & I like to keep it to myself. This is just me, everyone is different.

I do think that smoking should be banned in Disney, HOWEVER its going to be a touchy subject with Disney... It is a person's right to smoke and do what they would like to their body (as long as its legal of course) But it just ruins your day when you are enjoying your walk and hit that smell. Maybe Disney could move to only permitting E-Cigs?
It's not about a "right" to smoke. There are many things that are legal but that we can't do inside a Disney theme park.

It's about meeting the needs of smokers and nonsmokers (including those for whom second-hand smoke is an immediate health threat). Things are much better than they used to be. Disney has done well, but Disney could do even better -- for smokers and nonsmokers.

If smokers had several pleasant smoking areas at every park, far enough away from any walkways that nonsmokers use, we wouldn't have this thread.

I agree that this thread is not the right place to debate smoking and how it affects the health of those who smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter