• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

banana cake recipe?cooked frosting?

kozmo

kozmo
Hey does anyone have a good banana cake recipe?I also need a recipe for cooked frosting ,its my moms 75th birthday thursday,she often speaks of her mother baking her a banana cake with cooked frosting and how she would put banana slices between the layers!

I have a cooked icing recipe:
Cook together:
3 Tbl flour
3/4 c milk
Stir constantly until thick. Cool.

Then:
Beat 3/4 c butter for 4 minutes.
Add 3/4 c sugar & beat 4 more minutes.
Add:
3/4 tsp vanilla
Flour/milk mixture & beat until smooth.
Refrigerate until spreadable.

I found 3 in a local church cookbook, but I've never made any of them. They all seem relatively similar - the amounts of the ingredients just vary slightly.

2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 c sugar
1/2 c shortening
1/2 c sour milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c mashed, ripe gananas
1/2 c nuts
2 eggs
Measure baking powder, soda & sugar into sifted flour. Stir shortening into dry ingredients. Add 1/4 c milk & mashed bananas. Mix until all flour is dampened. Beat 2 minutes. Add eggs, nuts & remaining milk. Beat 1 min. Bake in layer tins at 375 for 25 min.
This one came with a frosting recipe w/o instructions:
3 Tbl shortening
1 c confectioner's sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 mashed banana

2 1/4 c flour
1 1/4 c granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c soft shortening
1 1/2 c mashed bananas
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Sift the dry ingredients together. Add shortening and beat 1/2 minute. Add bananas, eggs & vanilla. Beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Bake in greased pans 8x1 1/4" deep at 375 for 30 minutes.

1 c lightly mashed ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c sour milk
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c butter
2 eggs
2 1/2 c cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c walnuts, chopped fine (optional)
Mix together bananas, sour milk & vanilla. Cream butter. Add sifted sugar gradually & blend until creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift flour before & after measuring. Then sift together flour, baking powder, salt & baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with banana mixture. Beat well after each addition. Add nuts, if desired. Bake in 9" layer pan at 350 for 1/2 hour.

:wave:

BANANA CAKE

1 PKG (18.25 OUNCES) PLAIN YELLOW CAKE
1/2 CUP PACKED LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
2 VERY RIPE MEDIUM BANANAS - PEELED AND MASHED (1 CUP)
3/4 CUP BUTTERMILK
1/2 CUP OIL
3 LARGE EGGS
1 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES

LIGHTLY GREASE 9-INCH CAKE PAN OR BUNDT PAN AND DUST WITH FLOUR. SHAKE OUT EXCESS AND SET ASIDE. PLACE THE CAKE MIX, BROWN SUGAR, MASHED BANANAS, BUTTERMILK, OIL, EGGS AND CINNAMON IN LARGE MIXING BOWL. BLEND WITH AN ELECTRIC MIXER ON LOW SPEED FOR 1 MINUTE. STOP THE MIXER AND SCRAPE DOWN THE SIDES OF THE BOWL THEN BEAT ON MEDIUM SPEED FOR 2 MORE MINUTES. POUR BATTER INTO PREPARED PAN AND BAKE 40-45 MINUTES OR UNTIL DONE. COOL FOR 20 MINUTES AND REMOVE FROM PAN.

This may be too late to help you, but the cake part sounds right.

I found it on www.dining-out.com

Banana Cake
From Henry's Fine Foods in North Beverly, MA

½-pound (2 sticks) Sweet Butter
1 cut Granulated Sugar,
2 Eggs,
1-cup mashed Ripe Bananas,
1 ¾ Unbleached Flour,
2/3-tsp. Buttermilk,
1-tsp. Vanilla Extract,
1 ½ to 2 medium size Ripe Bananas (sliced)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch layer cake pans.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Ad eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add mashed bananas, mixing thoroughly.
3. Sift dry ingredients and add to butter and egg mixture. Stir until flour has been incorporated completely. Add buttermilk and vanilla. Mix for 1 minute.
4. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Cool in pans on a rack for 10-minutes. Unmold and cool on rack for 2 hours.
6. At Henry's we like to split the layers of cake and fill with French custard cream with fresh bananas and fresh whipped cream, topped with macaroon crunch.

You could use whatever frosting you think was on it, just layering the bananas over it, and again on the top. Just remember to rub a lemon over the slices so they don't turn.

HAPPY 75TH to your Mom!

Probably too late for you but here is the recipe I've used with good luck. I usually fill it with the Gingered Fruit Filling from the Joy of Cooking and cover with chocolate glaze.

Banana Split Cake
2 cups cake and pastry flour OR 2 cups less 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda 2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup shortening 1-1/2cups lightly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk 1 cup mashed bananas
2 eggs
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x9 cake pan and dust lightly with flour. Sift together into a mixing bowl, the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add shortening, brown sugar and buttermilk. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes at medium speed. Add mashed bananas and eggs. Beat for an additional 2 minutes. Turn into pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Serve as is, with Butter Icing, or split horizontally and insert a layer of sliced bananas. Top with sliced bananas and drizzle with butterscotch or chocolate sauce. Sprinkle with nuts.

This is the cooked icing that we make in our family.

Boiled Icing
1 cup brown sugar 1 egg white
4-5 Tbsp. cold water 1 tsp. vanilla
Combine ingredients in top of double boiler over lightly boiling water. Beat with electric mixer until fluffy and firm, approximately 7-8 minutes.

All of these sound really good. Now I just have to wait for some ripe bananas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter