Banking/borrowing/RCI

DVC numbie

Earning My Ears
So I am putting up some questions just to make sure I have the understanding right about these things. I am in the process of getting my first DVC contract and wanted to make sure I am understanding everything right.

1. Banking points has to be done no less than 4 months before your use year, and banked points have to be booked before the next use year comes up. ?
Example: use year of December. Have to bank before August 1st. Those points ( if they were banked in July 2019) would need to be booked on something before December 1st 2020? (The stay can happen after December 2020 but it needs to be booked by then).

2.points can be borrowed 12 months in advance? Borrowed points can be banked if not used in the year they were borrowed into?
Example: December use year again. December 1st 2019 you can borrow any or all of the points you would get on December 1st 2020. If you borrowed more points than you need you can bank those points.

2. Points can be put into RCI at any time wether that are banked, borrowed, or in current use year? RCI points don’t expire for 2 years after deposit?
Example: December use year again. If 200 points had been banked to 2020, 200 points received in 2020 and borrowed 200 points from 2021 all 600 could be moved to RCI and used. All these points would be good in RCI for 2 years from deposit. (Believe me I would never put that many points in RCI, just an example. Lol).

Thanks for your help, just wanted to be clear on it.

Example: use year of December. Have to bank before August 1st. Those points ( if they were banked in July 2019) would need to be booked on something before December 1st 2020? (The stay can happen after December 2020 but it needs to be booked by then).

Your December 2018 UY would go from December 1, 2018 to November 30, 2019. If you banked them in July 2019, they would have to be USED - the entire stay would need to take place - between December 1, 2019, and November 30, 2020. You could NOT use them for a stay including any dates after November 30, 2020.

Example: December use year again. December 1st 2019 you can borrow any or all of the points you would get on December 1st 2020. If you borrowed more points than you need you can bank those points.

You need to stop thinking in calendar years. Think in Use Years.

Your December 2019 UY points could be used for a STAY between December 1, 2019 and November 30, 2020. You could borrow your December 2020 UY points - normally good for STAYS between December 1, 2020 and November 30, 2021 - for a stay between December 1, 2019 and November 30, 2020. Once borrowed into the 2019 UY, those points are there forever and cannot be banked or moved back to the 2020 UY or banked to 2021.

Relative to RCI, you need to know that most DVC to RCI exchanges are poor value. I'd not buy assuming regular use that way, or rolling multiple years of points into RCI as a goal.

Your December 2018 UY would go from December 1, 2018 to November 30, 2019. If you banked them in July 2019, they would have to be USED - the entire stay would need to take place - between December 1, 2019, and November 30, 2020. You could NOT use them for a stay including any dates after November 30, 2020.

You need to stop thinking in calendar years. Think in Use Years.

Your December 2019 UY points could be used for a STAY between December 1, 2019 and November 30, 2020. You could borrow your December 2020 UY points - normally good for STAYS between December 1, 2020 and November 30, 2021 - for a stay between December 1, 2019 and November 30, 2020. Once borrowed into the 2019 UY, those points are there forever and cannot be banked or moved back to the 2020 UY or banked to 2021.

Relative to RCI, you need to know that most DVC to RCI exchanges are poor value. I'd not buy assuming regular use that way, or rolling multiple years of points into RCI as a goal.

I’m confused now, if I have a 160pt contract, which is Feb UY, I’m going on holiday in Aug 2021, so I can’t book it until Sep 2020. Are you saying I need to use the Feb2020 points by staying somewhere before Jan 2021?

I’m confused now, if I have a 160pt contract, which is Feb UY, I’m going on holiday in Aug 2021, so I can’t book it until Sep 2020. Are you saying I need to use the Feb2020 points by staying somewhere before Jan 2021?
I believe what they are saying is if the points you are going to use are received in February 2020 and you bank them you have until January 30th 2022 to complete your trip. However in your situation won’t you be booking either 7 or 11 months before August 2021?

I believe what they are saying is if the points you are going to use are received in February 2020 and you bank them you have until January 30th 2022 to complete your trip. However in your situation won’t you be booking either 7 or 11 months before August 2021?
I have 130pts banked into Feb 2020, so I can’t use them for the trip in Aug 2021. I’m a complete lemon lol

Your Feb 2020 points can be used for a reservation that begins no earlier than Feb. 1, 2020 or ends no later than the night of Jan. 31, 2021.

If you do not, or cannot, use those points within that timeframe, then they can be banked into your Feb 2021 UY and can then be used for a trip that begins no earlier than Feb. 1, 2021 or ends no later than the night of Jan. 31, 2022.

I have 130pts banked into Feb 2020, so I can’t use them for the trip in Aug 2021. I’m a complete lemon lol

ETA - Points can only be banked once. The points banked into your Feb 2020 UY must be used during that UY.

Last edited:
What point you can use for a trip is fully dependent upon when you trip is, not when you book the trip.

For a December use year, for 2019 points, you can use those points for a trip that occurs between Dec 1, 2019 and Nov 30, 2020.

You need to bank any points unused by 4 months before the end of your use year. For a December use year, I think that means you have to bank by July 31. For instance, 2018 December use year points would need to have been banked by July 31, 2019 and need to be used for a trip ending by Nov 30, 2020. If these points are not used, they are lost.

Borrowed points cannot be banked back into the year they came from. Lets say I have a December use year and have 100 points available for my 2019 use year. If I want to take a trip in April 2020 and need 150 points to book the trip, when I go to book, the system will allow me to borrow 50 points from my December 2020 use year into my December 2019 use year. However, if you cancel that April trip, you cannot bank the borrowed points back into your December 2020 use year. They have to be used by November 30, 2020 or they will be lost.

The 11 or 7 month window, applies to when the trip is and has nothing to do with Use Year. Use Year comes into play when determining what points are used for a trip and for banking deadline.

I hope this make sense.

Correct.

Assuming you have 2019 points that are banked into your 2020UY, you have to use those points sometime between Feb 1, 2020 and Jan 31, 2021. You cannot use them in August 2021.

Correct.

Assuming you have 2019 points that are banked into your 2020UY, you have to use those points sometime between Feb 1, 2020 and Jan 31, 2021. You cannot use them in August 2021.
Looks like I’ll have to rent or transfer those points then, which could be hard for a newbie

Here is what helped me when I first bought. First, figure out which UY your trip will happen. Once you know this, then figuring out what points can be used to cover the trip is fairly easy. You can pay for any trip with points banked from the UY prior to the trip, points from the UY of the trip, and with borrowed points from the UY after the trip in order to complete the reservation,

So, given your Feb UY, your August 2021 trip is happening in your 2021 UY. So , the points that are valid for this stay are banked 2020 UY points, 2021 UY points, and borrowed 2022 points.

You can call and book this at your home resort in Sept 2020. If you have 2019 UY points that you have now banked into your 2020 UY, those will expire January 31st, 2021 and there not be valid for that August trip.

Looks like I’ll have to rent or transfer those points then, which could be hard for a newbie

Renting out points via a service such as David’s or The Timeshare Store can be very easy. Contact one of them ASAP if you decide that’s what you need to do.

Renting out points via a service such as David’s or The Timeshare Store can be very easy. Contact one of them ASAP if you decide that’s what you need to do.
Looks like tss is only for US citizens, David’s allows international so will look into that, thanks everyone

Not hard at all if you go through someone like David's Vacation Club Rentals www.DVCRequest.com

You contact them, discuss the details of your points and how many you want to rent, sign their contract (by returning the email contract they send you) and then you need to pay attention to your emails. When they have someone that puts in a request and they find a match, they will send you an email. But they often also send it to other people. So you need to see your email and contact them and say you will do it. Then they give you the reservation information. You make the reservation, and send them the info. They pay part of your fee right away and save about 25% of the fee until the renters check in. If the people want Magical Express or to purchase the Disney Dining Plan, they will also send you that info and you need to do it for them. If they have any special requests, such as connecting rooms or a particular floor or building in their resort, then you will also be responsible for requesting that from Disney.

So, it can take a bit of work, but you don't need to spend your time finding the client, and checking availability and days. It works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter