• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bath time advise - DS & DD, when to separate their bath?

I'm really curious what the ones who bathe the kids separately do with the others if you're the only one home? The youngest is too young to be left unsupervised while the other two are bathing, so not sure what I'd do with him if we did it that way....especially if I had to do them separately!

I remember taking baths with my sister when we stayed at the grandparents ...probably up to 10 years old. I don't really remembering taking baths together at home.

I'm really curious what the ones who bathe the kids separately do with the others if you're the only one home? The youngest is too young to be left unsupervised while the other two are bathing, so not sure what I'd do with him if we did it that way....especially if I had to do them separately!

I remember taking baths with my sister when we stayed at the grandparents ...probably up to 10 years old. I don't really remembering taking baths together at home.

Are you saying you never leave any of your kids unattended for small amounts of time?? I guess it depends on the age, but even I showered when I was the only adult in the house when my kids were all ages. All kids can be left alone long enough for a bath or shower. Infant- bouncer or swing, baby in a exersaucer, toddler 2 or 3 watch a show or toys that keep them occupied in the next room. A bath is 5-10 minutes tops if you are in a situation where you must be quick, the was to keep them occupied are endless and vary based on each child. Do you stay around your kids at all times if they are awake? I go down in the basement to do laundry, go in the bedrooms to clean. I never thought twice at any age about leaving the room one of my kids was in. My house was always child proof when really young so I've always felt comfortable being out of the room for a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:
Are you saying you never leave any of your kids unattended for small amounts of time?? I guess it depends on the age, but even I showered when I was the only adult in the house when my kids were all ages. All kids can be left alone long enough for a bath or shower. Infant- bouncer or swing, baby in a exersaucer, toddler 2 or 3 watch a show or toys that keep them occupied in the next room. A bath is 5-10 minutes tops if you are in a situation where you must be quick, the was to keep them ocupid are endless and vary basedan on eachieve child. Do you stay around your kids at all times if they are awake? I go down in the basement to do laundry, go in the bedrooms to clean. I never thought twice at any age about leaving the room one of my kids was in. My house was always child proof when really young so I've always felt comfortable being out of the room for a reasonable amount of time.

This all sounds like what I did. I have boy/girl and honestly I don't think I bathed them together. If I did I don't really remember. I know I took showers everyday when they were both young. Like someone said in a previous post I hate baths too. I think as soon as mine could shower they did. Esp. my dd had long hair and she preferred to shower as soon as she could.

I said that my 2 year old can't be left alone. He's never left in a room by himself...I'd never leave him in the living room (our main room/play room) while I took the other two to take a bath.

Bathing together has been working for the last almost 6 years...so, I think we'll just keep doing then! Actually, I asked them in the bath today. DD said she wouldn't mind taking a bath by herself so she could lay down, but then said she liked bathing with the boys, too. So, it's still working just fine. :)

I said that my 2 year old can't be left alone. He's never left in a room by himself...I'd never leave him in the living room (our main room/play room) while I took the other two to take a bath.

Bathing together has been working for the last almost 6 years...so, I think we'll just keep doing then! Actually, I asked them in the bath today. DD said she wouldn't mind taking a bath by herself so she could lay down, but then said she liked bathing with the boys, too. So, it's still working just fine. :)
You can always stick a 2 year old in a crib - I had 5 kids in 6 1/2 years, and managed to shower and bathe everyone.

That said, I caught the tail end of family feud tonight (which I never watch) and the question was "how old are siblings when they stop bathing together," and the number one answer was 5.

We stopped giving DS & DD1 baths together when he was about 7 & she was 4. That was when he mentioned wanting it separate. Dd1 & DD2 have taken a few together, but not many. DNiece took baths with DS & DD1 if we were visiting until she was ~ 10.

My brothers and I are 5-6 years apart and I remember getting baths with them, so they would have to be at least 9 or 10 at that point. It didn't happen often, but I do remember it. None of us are scarred emotionally from it. :)

You never leave your 2 yr old alone in a room? What do you do when he goes to bed at night...even in a crib a 2 yr old could crawl out and go downstairs. What about when you go to the bathroom, bring them with? I don't understand why you wouldn't leave a 2 yr old in a room alone for a small amount of time if it is a safe environment. My house has always been childproof well so no reason to worry and I always made sure they were involved in something that would hold their attention. ..favorite TV show or toy and never had an issue. If not at 2 what age would you leave a child alone to bath others? At what age do you feel a child can bath/shower themselves.

I just think it is gross someone would wash a dirty/sweaty school age child ( I see those kids running on playground and in the gym they all get sweaty and germy) with anyone else in the same water. Not directly related to you, just in general about cobathing.

You can always stick a 2 year old in a crib - I had 5 kids in 6 1/2 years, and managed to shower and bathe everyone.

That said, I caught the tail end of family feud tonight (which I never watch) and the question was "how old are siblings when they stop bathing together," and the number one answer was 5.
I have 4 kids, 3.5 years between the oldest and youngest. The youngest two are twins who easily got out of their cribs before age 2. And they help each other get into trouble that even day care can't believe. Leaving my other two alone to get stuff done was easy, these two I have yet to find a way to contain them safely (they turned two in November).
There are times that all 4 kids are tossed in the tub. It is getting harder because the tub is small and they are getting big. But if someone asks about private parts, I tell them the correct term and we move on. Girls knowing about penises and boys knowing about vaginas is not some big issue for me.

I have 4 kids, 3.5 years between the oldest and youngest. The youngest two are twins who easily got out of their cribs before age 2. And they help each other get into trouble that even day care can't believe. Leaving my other two alone to get stuff done was easy, these two I have yet to find a way to contain them safely (they turned two in November).
There are times that all 4 kids are tossed in the tub. It is getting harder because the tub is small and they are getting big. But if someone asks about private parts, I tell them the correct term and we move on. Girls knowing about penises and boys knowing about vaginas is not some big issue for me.
My youngest are twins, and were my only ones to climb out of the cribs. Lots of my twin moms had great success with crib tents.

HI
My DS is turning 5 on April 5th and my DD is turning 4 on May 28th. Currently they still take a bath together. They love it and spend a good 30-40 minutes playing in the bath after they are washed. Recently, a coworker of mine looked at me in disgust when I told her they still take a bath together. Is it time to separate them? I really don't see an issue yet as they are still so young. Am I way off on this? Thanks!

Past time! :goodvibes

We stopped giving DS & DD1 baths together when he was about 7 & she was 4. That was when he mentioned wanting it separate. Dd1 & DD2 have taken a few together, but not many. DNiece took baths with DS & DD1 if we were visiting until she was ~ 10.

10 sounds WAY WAY to old to be co-bathing! My god I had my first period at 10!! I can't imagine being in the bathtub with anyone else never mind a kid of the opposite sex at that age!

10 sounds WAY WAY to old to be co-bathing! My god I had my first period at 10!! I can't imagine being in the bathtub with anyone else never mind a kid of the opposite sex at that age!
YES! I cringed when I read that. That is well beyond an acceptable age to have siblings and other extended family members naked in a tub together.

You never leave your 2 yr old alone in a room? What do you do when he goes to bed at night...even in a crib a 2 yr old could crawl out and go downstairs. What about when you go to the bathroom, bring them with? I don't understand why you wouldn't leave a 2 yr old in a room alone for a small amount of time if it is a safe environment. My house has always been childproof well so no reason to worry and I always made sure they were involved in something that would hold their attention. ..favorite TV show or toy and never had an issue. If not at 2 what age would you leave a child alone to bath others? At what age do you feel a child can bath/shower themselves.

No, I really don't leave him alone in a room. Yes, he sleeps in his own room at night. He wears a sleep sack which prevents climbing out of the crib. I'd guess probably in the 3-4 year range he'd be fine to be left in a room while I bathe another child. It's not like giving a bath takes 2 minutes...we're talking what 10 minutes minimum? There is a lot that could be gotten into in 10 minutes....that and the fact that he'd just be screaming if he couldn't see me...so maybe it's been out of necessity that I haven't even had a chance to try leaving him occupied with something.
what age kids bathe themselves...I have no idea. My oldest will be 6 in June and they show no signs of taking care of themselves...so sometime after this is my best guess! I'd love someone else's answer to that though. Incidentally, a friend posted on facebook the other day asking what age others kids began bathing themselves and the answer most gave was 10 or higher.

No, I really don't leave him alone in a room. Yes, he sleeps in his own room at night. He wears a sleep sack which prevents climbing out of the crib. I'd guess probably in the 3-4 year range he'd be fine to be left in a room while I bathe another child. It's not like giving a bath takes 2 minutes...we're talking what 10 minutes minimum? There is a lot that could be gotten into in 10 minutes....that and the fact that he'd just be screaming if he couldn't see me...so maybe it's been out of necessity that I haven't even had a chance to try leaving him occupied with something.
what age kids bathe themselves...I have no idea. My oldest will be 6 in June and they show no signs of taking care of themselves...so sometime after this is my best guess! I'd love someone else's answer to that though. Incidentally, a friend posted on facebook the other day asking what age others kids began bathing themselves and the answer most gave was 10 or higher.
Really? 10?
My kids have been bathing themselves (with supervision like me simply being in the bathroom or upstairs to keep them on track) since they were 6. I don't think 10 is the norm.

At 10, they are developing modesty, and definitely have a few years of showering on their own. Maybe some 7 year olds still need help with getting the shampoo out. Fortunately, my oldest was fiercely independent, and showering on her own by 7, setting a precedent for the others. My twins started at 3/4 - we had 2 shower heads, one which moved up and down, and you could set the water temperature, so all they had to do was turn the water on.

10 is way too old. That is 4/5 grade. My youngest is going to be 6 and does it himself. I don't leave the bathroom area like I'm in a bedroom where I can see him or I put him in my master bathroom and lay on my bed and read or watch tv, but he is good. He washes his own hair and like to shower so it isn't hard getting the soap out. I come in and do a quick wash of his body just to make sure the nooks and cranies aren't getting missed but he is good to go. He has been doing it for a year. I can't even imagine giving my 9 yr old a bath lol.

I am truly curious how a sleep sack keeps a 2 yr old trapped in a crib. I would think he would freak out or be able to get out.

As far as the other kids let them give themselves baths and just monitor them. Or give the 2 yr old toys to play with right outside in the hall. Why does he have to be in the tub with them? It doesn't make sense to fee that it has to be this way, unless you truly want them taking baths together. There are always work arounds and I much rather quick baths 5 minutes and they are washed up if you run the water before they get in, wash body..rinse, wash hair...rinse and out vs bathing kids together.

I'd love someone else's answer to that though. Incidentally, a friend posted on facebook the other day asking what age others kids began bathing themselves and the answer most gave was 10 or higher.

Oh come on- at 10 my daughter was in Jr High in 6th grade!! Can you even imagine being in Jr high and not bathing by yourself?? I just don't get it!!

A sleep sack for a 2 year old and kids not bathing themselves til 10! :faint:

I know my kids are a bit more independent than most, but that is truly crazy!

That is what a pack n play and a video is for. If they can stay in their crib all night alone they can sit in a pack n play in the family room for 30 minutes watching TV and be okay.

I am speechless about the 10 year old. What is it with the current generation of parents babying their kids? My kids were in 6th grade when they were 10 years old, I don't even know when they started to take care of themselves in the shower or bath but it was long before that. I just can't even imagine still bathing a 9 year old.

I only have one child, and she is 8 and while she obviously takes showers by herself, she likes me to stay in the bathroom while she is in there and play music and talk to her.

By when I was a child, I got baths with my brother until I was about 4 and he was 6. And it devastated me when they stopped because that meant the end of all the epic My Little Pony versus Transformer water battles haha.

And I do agree that 10 is a little old for co-bathing, unless they are conjoined.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter